Check Engine Vist Workshop???

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 02:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by StevoUK
Ok heres the update.

The "Drive to workshop light" is caused in my case by a left engine bank emission reading being not quite correct.

Its probably caused by the catalytic convertor on that side getting to the end of its useful life after 9 years.

Since its not critical - the car passed its emissions test last August with a very good result, I'll see over the next couple of months whether I can get through the next test without changing the cat or whether I have to bite the bullet and change it.

Meanwhile the car is fine to drive.
By way of trying to help, I've been nursing a weak converter in my 02 Boxster for several years now.

What I have found helps, well, what I believe helps as I've never had the car fail, is to keep the engine in good tune. No need to go overboard but be sure plugs are reasonably fresh, ditto air filter, engine oil too, prior to emissions testing.

I'd say coils too but the engine is on its original coils and they now have over 268K miles on them. Still, different cars, different engines, different coil life and you have to deal with what this is for you and your car/engine not what I manage to eke out for my car/engine.

Also, I have found some differences in gasoline. When running a steady diet of discount gasoline -- when gasoline prices spiked horribly a few years ago -- I noticed the CEL on more often for this weak converter problem than before or after when I was running a name brand gasoline, in this case Shell. Since then even if gasoline prices go up I stay with Shell or Chevron gasoline.

For the day of the emissions test I pick a warm/hot day and drive the car around on the highway and around town until I find the emissions testing facility not busy. The car, the engine and exhaust system want to be fully up to temperature. Avoid the use of the A/C. The engine can be a bit warmer which helps.

I pull in and leave the engine idling while I get the process of having the car tested going.

So far I have been successful in getting the car through emissions testing now several times. The last time with nearly 250K miles on the converters.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:16 PM
Mochec
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had that same error on my '07 997. I checked the engine and my oil cap was off.
I had just done an oil change.
I put it back on snug and… Problem solved.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Vist Workshop???