Sponsored by:

New From Tn

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 06:30 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cabman4007
G-D.. we just never grow up do we? We love speed and playing with our toys.

The thing that makes it more fun is when the car in front of you on that 2 lane road (last time it was a rice burner honda civic with a huge exhaust and loud as hell) starts to speed up so you cant pass him.

In the mirror you are just a 911.. They dont see the TURBO logo til you get ahead of them.

So, I pull out a bit to check the oncoming traffic, the rice burner sees that I want to pass,, you can hear via his loud exhaust (dead give away) that he is accelerating so you wont pass him.

Then I hit 3rd or 4th from 5th,,, get out into the passing lane,, AND am catapulted to 100 + in what seems like a split second,, and he is way behind in the mirror.

RUSH CITY... I am close to 60 yrs old and its still FUN out there..

boys will be boys...

Cabman
HAHA! I get what you're saying 100% Cabman.

Lots of fun - as long as we're absolutely not endangering anybody.

Those guys who speed up when you pass them; before they were worrisome. Now they are like gnats.

Mooooohahhahahahaaaaaaaa!
Mooooohahahahahahaaaaaaaa!
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2010, 07:45 PM
ljm301
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gj325
Wow

Nobody that has a Turbo willing to tell me that the Turbo is that much bigger of a deal that the 4S?

I was hoping someone had went from a 4S to Turbo and would give me their opinion of the jump if they thought it was worth it.

Thanks Gj
Yes, it's worth it..
Old 01-31-2010, 11:59 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Gj,

Are you planning on keeping the Targa?

If you spec a new TT of any variant in malachite green, then you'll end up with 2 similar platforms... one that is fast, and one that is just plain silly fast. You mention that you are not entirely satisfied with the Targa choice. Why? Not enough power? Not enough noise?

The TT makes for a great DD, and it is a supreme 911 all around experience. However, if you keep the Targa, then the extra coin isn't justified IMHO especially since you can pick up a 997.1 TT for half the price of an ordered Turbo S. However, you won't find malachite green.

The TT's acceleration is crazy fast... but you'll have little opportunity to experience it's true merit on public roads and highways and you mentioned that you won't track the machine.

If you plan on keeping the Targa, then I'd pick up a 430 Spyder and use something else as your DD. The 430 market is QUITE TEMPTING right now. Just find the right car and cross your fingers, toes, and whatever else that you don't have to make that 400 mile trip to the dealer. I would consider 430s quite reliable as far as Fcars go.

Keep the Targa, get a 430 to quench your thirst, find your wife a nice Cayenne TT and then later trade the Targa in on the ordered 911 TT of your liking in malachite green.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:31 PM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you spec a new TT of any variant in malachite green, then you'll end up with 2 similar platforms... one that is fast, and one that is just plain silly fast. You mention that you are not entirely satisfied with the Targa choice. Why? Not enough power? Not enough noise?
Not going to keep the Targa MY DD is a Truck at this time. I own a construction type company(union at that) if I showed up in a sports car they would sit down. Porsche has never seen the parking lot never will.

There is enough power for the most part but There could always be more. As for the sound there is none that is my biggest dislike of the car. I love the color which the interior was Darker. Mainly I would like PDK I am not as good with the 6 speed as I would like but getting better. I wasnt able to build the Targa. I had to take the only one out there. And it was the Only Targa in that color.

Somehow I have in my mind that I would be happy to spec one out with everything like. I like the Turbo Tail better than the pop up one on the Targa. I think that makes the car look way better from Ext View.

Sometimes I think that I could add PSE and maybe Yellow dials and that would make me happy but deep down I know it would not. The Ferrari has always been a dream but the repair part make me think will That be worth the effort. If I had a Bad F Car exp. I would be right back to Porsche.Yes the 430 or even a 612 is a great buyers market now. I really like the Cali even though most people dont but a drop hard top would be nice. Just a little more than I want to spend. I have to buy two cars this year so the Turbo is really pressing my Budget. Had a good year but I still dont think the down turn in the country has fully passed.

I could get my wife the Turbo Cayenne but she doesnt care for that much power. She will be more than happy with a Cayenne but it will have to be loaded to suit her not me.

So at this time I am leaning toward S build if everything works out but my mood changes everyday.

Thanks for your input.

Gj
Old 01-31-2010, 01:27 PM
LlBr
Drifting

There is enough power for the most part but There could always be more.
There's never enough Porsche horsepower for public roads. It's odd. Perhaps this will make sense.

Take a Boxster or a TT , unless the driver is insane and wants to go to jail, neither car will ever have it's handling characteristics expressed fully on the twisties of a public road.

Put the Boxster and the TT, on a straight piece of roadway and the Boxster driver will be _waiting_ to get to speed. The TT will show the driver the meaning of "Porsche: There is No Substitute." Now, take 100 HP away from the TT and you have an underpowered TT.

The only ULTIMATE POTENTIAL of Porsche you can use to the fullest on public roads is the Turbo's HP in a straight line.

I'm sorry, I think I'm sounding rather arrogant, I don't mean to be inconsiderate. My intention is pure: if I guy has the coin to get the Turbo for non-track use, there can be no legitimate argument to talk him out of it.

Then again: I could be very wrong.

Last edited by LlBr; 01-31-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:48 PM
Gj325
Pro

'
m sorry, I think I'm sounding rather arrogant, I don't mean to be inconsiderate. My intention is pure: if I guy has the coin to get the Turbo for non-track use, there can be no legitimate argument to talk him out of it.

Most likely very true. Dont think anyone can talk me out of of it but me.
Thats the reason I want some help The Targa doesnt wow me!!!! Like I was expecting.
My reason for asking is to enlist Turbo Owners who have upgraded to Turbo and what they feel the TT Exp. is.

I havent had a sports car since my 20's It was a Z28 not really on the same level as my Targa by no means. The Targa Handles like I thought it would but there is not sound and not the wow thats what I am talking about power.

Dont mind handing the coin over but I dont want to be feeling the same after spending close to 100 k more. The Turbo S will have more power than any other stock TT so I dont feel that would be the case.

I could build another Targa with every option I wanted but that still would leave me in the same place Not Satisfied.

Gj
Old 01-31-2010, 07:37 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

'

Most likely very true. Dont think anyone can talk me out of of it but me.
Thats the reason I want some help The Targa doesnt wow me!!!! Like I was expecting.
My reason for asking is to enlist Turbo Owners who have upgraded to Turbo and what they feel the TT Exp. is.

I havent had a sports car since my 20's It was a Z28 not really on the same level as my Targa by no means. The Targa Handles like I thought it would but there is not sound and not the wow thats what I am talking about power.

Dont mind handing the coin over but I dont want to be feeling the same after spending close to 100 k more. The Turbo S will have more power than any other stock TT so I dont feel that would be the case.

I could build another Targa with every option I wanted but that still would leave me in the same place Not Satisfied.

Gj

You seek more power and more 'wow' factor and asked, "Is the turbo worth the extra expense?".

The Turbo S would be a mega jump up from the Targa in the power department, however, if the factory doesn't work hard to race up the exhaust, you will likely not be enthused with the sound. So, you may as well overbudget 5Gs just in case for an aftermarket solution.

Have you driven a stock 997.1 TT? The car is fast as p*ss and makes absolutely no noise. No drama. WHOOSH pretty much describes it, and everything else just disappears. I understand that the stock exhaust on the 997.2 TT is better, but I have no personal experience with the latest TT.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from a turbo. 997.1 TTs can be had for 90K and you could mod it to the hilt and come in well under the presumed MSRP of the turbo S.

You mention pressing the budget. If a new malachite turbo S is what you want, then go for it!
Old 01-31-2010, 08:11 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LlBr
I'm sorry, I think I'm sounding rather arrogant, I don't mean to be inconsiderate. My intention is pure: if I guy has the coin to get the Turbo for non-track use, there can be no legitimate argument to talk him out of it.

LlBr, no offense taken.

Where we all 'buy in' on the pcar depreciation curve is a personal decision. 160K+ is a lot of coin... at that price point, I'm looking at 430s, GT2s, etc...

I'm just sayin'.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:46 PM
Gj325
Pro

he Turbo S would be a mega jump up from the Targa in the power department, however, if the factory doesn't work hard to race up the exhaust, you will likely not be enthused with the sound. So, you may as well overbudget 5Gs just in case for an aftermarket solution.

Have you driven a stock 997.1 TT?
I have heard the Turbo Stock sound was not good. I was told that any aftermarket Exhaust Will void the warranty. Is that true?

No I have never driven a 997.1 Turbo I can drive a 2010 Turbo a dealer but I wont be able to tell much with salesman riding along. Plus I wouldnt want to rev a new car that high since I wouldnt be buying it any way. But the Malachite green is a color that I def. want in a Turbo. I would wait till 2011 Models if I cant build a Turbo S in that color.

Where we all 'buy in' on the pcar depreciation curve is a personal decision. 160K+ is a lot of coin... at that price point, I'm looking at 430s, GT2s, etc...

Thats my other problem I face I could get a 2007 612 or 430 for same Money as the Turbo S
The 400 miles to dealer is a the major hold back well one of the the wife thinks the Pcar.is classy she thinks a Ferrari is showing out. Somehow thinks that a Ferrari is a Mid life Crisis and That I would be looking for her younger replacement. Every personal car we get we put in her name due to our type of company (high risk ) I keep telling her how would i get to keep Ferrari in her name!!!!!!! And Like I couldnt get a young chick in a Pcar if that was what I was looking for.

Gj
Old 01-31-2010, 11:00 PM
LlBr
Drifting

I have heard the Turbo Stock sound was not good. I was told that any aftermarket Exhaust Will void the warranty. Is that true?
Again, here's my personal opinion: I'm kind of "over" the excitement of my TT after owning and drive it for a couple of years. One thing has not changed (which is good): the frickin' car still blows my mind when I hit the gas.

The sound of the car isn't fantastic if if you're into such things. My buddy took it for a drive as I stood on the roadside: conclusion? If you are a Porschephile you can hear something really amazing with some serious cajones (spelling?) whiz past you. If you're going to compare it to a Lambo or v12 Ferrari you're not going to get overwhelmed with that exotic sound.

What I mean is, it's not an instant orgasm when these cars pass. However if you have more subtle tastes the stock sound is still a turn on. From inside the car it's tame, but not a total disappointment after the thrill of delivery-hormone-surge is over.

Finally: I'm usually burning up pavement and driving frisky. Those times I'm very glad I'm not getting too much attention. I'm glad the exhaust sound is NOT over done. You don't want to be passing somebody at 70 and have them thinking you're doing 120! They'll call 911 on their cell phones!

BTW, The cell phone tattle tale happened to me TWICE. (cops stops me and asks if I was drinking, he almost apologized to me because when they receive a complaint they MUST investigate). If I had a hot exhaust sound it would have probably been five times by now.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Gj325
Pro

The sound of the car isn't fantastic if if you're into such things.
I take it you have stock Exhaust?

If the stock doesn't have the sound I want I will see about adding PSE if you can on turbo?

Or after warranty expires I will add Tubi or some other Exhaust.
I expect a Porsche to have a sound that I can hear part of car Experience

Gj
Old 02-01-2010, 12:01 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gj
With respect to the warranty, yes and no. It all comes down to the relationship with your dealer. Some dealers sell and install aftermarket parts. The dealer can go to bat for you if an issue arises. But be forewarned, if you have an engine hiccup or a leaky seal then the factory finger pointing begins.

Your best bet would be to have an open, candid conversation with your dealer's service manager about warranty issues if you have 'them' install an aftermarket exhaust system.

RE the stock TT sound, it's a quality note, no doubt. BUT, it is far too quiet IMO, especially in a coupe. The turbos are barely audible with the stock exhaust and not being able to hear the motor inside the cabin makes rev matching quite difficult. Euro sound regs are stringent, and owners seeking more engine music (and performance) have flocked to the aftermarket.

Go and test drive that TT... but with the salesman present, you'll probably never even get on boost LOL! Unless, of course, he's your friend...
Old 02-01-2010, 12:57 PM
LlBr
Drifting

I take it you have stock Exhaust?

If the stock doesn't have the sound I want I will see about adding PSE if you can on turbo?

Or after warranty expires I will add Tubi or some other Exhaust.
I expect a Porsche to have a sound that I can hear part of car Experience

Gj
The other thing is the Turbo exhaust has a couple of turbochargers bolted onto it.

Another wild guess on my part: maybe it was too big a problem for Porsche to mess with the TT exhaust sound. IOW, you can do anything sound modification wise with a NA exhaust system because there's more room and fewer demands on it.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:07 PM
cabman4007
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The turbo is 100X as exciting as the normal C2.

I would like to drive the C2 with the X51 option (408 HP) available on the 2010 models.

It would be quite a step up from the 2006 C2 I drove with 335 HP.

I dont mind the sound my stock exhaust makes since I use the phone in the car and have my wife with me and after a while a loud noise would get old for us.

I did flash my car (FVD Brombacher) and it does make a difference. I doubt the flash would cause any problems with warranty issues since my local dealer does flashing on newly purchased cars.

You need to experience the thrill and rush of a 997 turbo.

My 997.1 has about 530 HP ($2100 cost) and it is a monster from 40 mph to 150 mph.

The flashing is so good that I dont even need to drive the new generation TT engine with 500 HP. I will stick with my 530+ HP and be smiliing for years.

Cabman

Last edited by cabman4007; 02-01-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:12 PM
cabman4007
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
HAHA! I get what you're saying 100% Cabman.

Lots of fun - as long as we're absolutely not endangering anybody.

Those guys who speed up when you pass them; before they were worrisome. Now they are like gnats.

Mooooohahhahahahaaaaaaaa!
Mooooohahahahahahaaaaaaaa!

Agreed,,, when I am in my neighborhood, or any place around parked cars and children I never exceed the posted limits which are mostly 25 MPH and people in back of me get very annoyed since I have a high powered car and am going slowly.

I think most of us are very observant when need be (school zones, hospital zones , etc)

BUT, when it comes to nice sparsely populated roads with miles of view in front and back THE RULES go out the window and its fair game. I have a course I regularly take 15 miles in the back country from my house and its heaven for me. Never have seen any law enforcement in the 3 yrs I have been doing this course. Its a very unpopulated area with a farm or two every 10 miles.

Move to FL and have some FUN...

Cabman

BUT,,, a V1 is a very important tool to have JUST IN CASE. Never leave home without it..

Quick Reply: New From Tn