Sponsored by:

New From Tn

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New From Tn

I am new here on Rennlist just posted first post on 997 Forum . I know lot of folks may have seen this but wanted to post on Turbo forum to enlist help on this forum.

I bought a 2009 Targa 4S Malachite Green in May of 2009 at that time I had to find one already built. Wife wanted the glass top in lieu of Cab.

So needless to say I am not completely happy with our choice I think anyway.
Have 6 speed really wanted PDK dont have Sports Chrono and wanted Cocoa leather not Beige. Also wanted yellow dials and sport exhaust along with few other items.

To make long story short Thought about getting a Ferrari for my toy but no dealer execpt Atlanta 468 miles away (killed that thought) So after reviewing the 2010 Turbo thought here we go. Called my dealer in Dec. he gets back to me last we no changable Turbos for the rest of the year. But says maybe be able to build a Turbo S in March.

I really want to stay with the color. If cant get the Malachite Green that would be a deal breaker. But the 170k Price tag is really a kick in the teeth.

Is a turbo worth extra expense I will not be using on Track.

Would I be better off just to up grade my exhaust and can the dealer change the dials to speed yellow. Or at least at a reasonable cost. He has already quoted me 7500 for Sport Exhaust. I thought that was too high.

Its my understanding that I will void warranty if I go to a tubi or any other non dealer installed item?Or will this just void exhuast warranty?

Any input is welcome . Tyring to make up mind before March going to build the wife a Cayenne in May thought about just getting her the Turbo but then her DD will be more enjoyable than my 911 or is that just in my head. That will be the cheaper of the two Any thoughtsName:  IMG_0134.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  93.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0059.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  110.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0136.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  89.3 KB
Old 01-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Gj325
Pro

Wow

Nobody that has a Turbo willing to tell me that the Turbo is that much bigger of a deal that the 4S?

I was hoping someone had went from a 4S to Turbo and would give me their opinion of the jump if they thought it was worth it.

Thanks Gj
Old 01-28-2010, 08:34 PM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Well worth it!! I went from a 4S to a turbo several years ago. I have since owned nothing but turbos. I can still vividly remember the first time I test drove a turbo. I took it on the interstate, and when I hit the throttle, the turbo boost was intoxicating. I have been hooked ever since. I cant wait for the 2011 turboS. I am going to be ordering one next month. I used to live in East Memphis years ago. I like the color of you car.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Gj325
Wow

Nobody that has a Turbo willing to tell me that the Turbo is that much bigger of a deal that the 4S?

I was hoping someone had went from a 4S to Turbo and would give me their opinion of the jump if they thought it was worth it.

Thanks Gj
If you have the dough - you have to do it....the styling tweeks, the big butt, the sounds and smell of that car and more importantly, the sense you are in something very very special everytime you drive your Turbo. That is not to say a C4S isn't a beautiful car because it is - its the visceral experience of owning and driving a Turbo puts you in a differant space....and a space that very few people in the world are priveliged enough to enjoy. Each car takes on a life and personality of its own.

Can you at least ring Jerry Hickey at Porsche of Chattanooga if you choose to make a move for some pricing? Tell him the Canadian with the old 911 they serviced sent you there. For the last month, Jerry, Billy the service manager and managment at P Of C have been very hospitable and accomadating to me in storing and running my car to an off premises body shop while it was in TN - and I am 1500 miles away! They wanted no money and a Canadian buying a new car there...not likely.....so my wife and I are making a donation to a local boys and girls club in their name. Jerry and Billy are quality guys.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Gj325
Pro

Thanks for reply. I have never had a chance to drive a turbo . I have told Porsche dealer here in memphis to let me know when I could build a Turbo S. He is telling me Early March should have build sheets in Feb. Maybe a July Delve.

He claims 550 HP New Spyder wheels with locking hub. PCCB Brakes Sports Chrono and PDK will be std. Or at least that what the REP. is telling him. I hear 159 K list doubt if they will budge much.

Now I am getting back in the Turbo mood Thanks Again!!!

Gj
Old 01-29-2010, 11:11 AM
Gj325
Pro

Thanks Overdraft.

I like your ending statement . I will have to check them out. You sound Like a quality guy yourself.

Thanks for info
Old 01-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

I went from a C4S to a TT last year and never looked back. You can't explain it without experiencing it first. Lets put it this way, when you push the pedal down you get a grin on your face that you can't control! BTW, I think your Targa is very sharp, I happen to like that color combinatation. Also, the Porsche sport exhaust can be dealer installed for about $3200 all in at the most. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:51 PM
Gj325
Pro

Thanks Bob
My thought was the local dealer must be mistaken or trying to take advantage of me.
I am leaning back strongly towards the Turbo S Build. The thought of spending a extra 100k+/- was giving me some trouble. The power would be very nice. I like the Turbo look. I wanted to here from some Turbo owners all positive swaying back to the Turbo side.

I may have to give the other dealers in the area a call. I always try to keep the dollars local.

I like your Cobalt Blue Turbo that is a very sharp combination also.

Thanks Gj
Old 01-30-2010, 01:47 PM
cabman4007
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The power in the TT is addicting. I went from 2 NA engines to the TT.

I cant imagine not having that power behind me.

You need drive one and experience it.

cabman
Old 01-30-2010, 02:12 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TestnDoc
Well worth it!! ........omitted......... I can still vividly remember the first time I test drove a turbo. I took it on the interstate, and when I hit the throttle, the turbo boost was intoxicating. I have been hooked ever since. I cant wait for the 2011 turboS. I am going to be ordering one next month.
Except for the "ordering next month" (I'm gonna wait about a year) I could have written the above.

Serious car. Perfect for public roads. You can safely pass so fast oncoming cars think they're gonna get killed.

Seriously, you have to restrain yourself when there's a passing opportunity because it frightens other drivers, they're not used to such bursts of speed, however your passenger can continue read her magazine without interruption; mine does.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:17 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by cabman4007
I cant imagine not having that power behind me.
LOL! Because all the public roads are basically 55 mph situations it makes me think we have maximum necessary power for a driver's car in the USA (approx 500).

OTOH, I'd take 1000 hp (or half the weight) with BIGGER brakes any day.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:37 PM
cabman4007
Racer

In Fl you dont want to speed on the highway going north and south.

If you want to have some autobahn fun you have to get a road that goes east to west in the central area.

The roads are one lane each way but they are wide lanes incase someone messes up.

My most fun thing is being behind someone going 65-70 (speed limit is 65 mph on these rural country roads) and i am in 3rd and hit the petal,, OMG, talk about a rush. Get the car up to 135 mph and get back in my lane.

You can see in front of you for a mile,, very safe.

The turbo gives a real rush..

Fl is the state for fun runs..

Cabman
Old 01-30-2010, 02:57 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by cabman4007
In Fl you dont want to speed on the highway going north and south.

The turbo gives a real rush..

Cabman
Yes. I suffer a similar situation.

What makes the Turbo suited to even the most cop infested moderately crowded traffic situation?

The car goes very fast very quickly then back down again with braking. Makes it fun to drive!

For instance, when things open up in front of you for a short distance you can floor the car an eliminate that gap. Stop slowpokes from getting in there. Of course don't be an a****** about it and drive recklessly.

Doing the constant 100+ speeds is problematic.

Jack rabbiting for fun is perfect in the Turbo. You can't jackrabbit as effectively in the NA cars. They don't go fast enough fast enough.

Gas mileage? What gas mileage?

Old 01-30-2010, 03:06 PM
cabman4007
Racer

G-D.. we just never grow up do we? We love speed and playing with our toys.

The thing that makes it more fun is when the car in front of you on that 2 lane road (last time it was a rice burner honda civic with a huge exhaust and loud as hell) starts to speed up so you cant pass him.

In the mirror you are just a 911.. They dont see the TURBO logo til you get ahead of them.

So, I pull out a bit to check the oncoming traffic, the rice burner sees that I want to pass,, you can hear via his loud exhaust (dead give away) that he is accelerating so you wont pass him.

Then I hit 3rd or 4th from 5th,,, get out into the passing lane,, AND am catapulted to 100 + in what seems like a split second,, and he is way behind in the mirror.

RUSH CITY... I am close to 60 yrs old and its still FUN out there..

boys will be boys...

Cabman
Old 01-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Gj325
Pro

Then I hit 3rd or 4th from 5th,,, get out into the passing lane,, AND am catapulted to 100 + in what seems like a split second,, and he is way behind in the mirror.

RUSH CITY... I am close to 60 yrs old and its still FUN out there..

boys will be boys...
Now Thats sounds like what I would be doing
Glad Feb. is a short Month.
Hopefully the Turbo S will come true as rumored!!!!

Gj

Quick Reply: New From Tn