Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted side skirts and spoiler lip?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 04:50 PM
gmaier
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted side skirts and spoiler lip?

Purchasing a new, inbound, 2010 Carrara white TT coupe with deviating black RS Spyder wheels. Car didn't come ordered with painted side skirts or spoiler lip in exterior color, but I'm thinking of getting it done at the dealer, as I think it'll look much better than the default black trim.

IMO, painted side skirts are a must and seem to be pretty common on the white coupes; I just don't see as many ordered with the painted spoiler lip (nothwithstanding, aftermarket tuner mods). The Collection has photos of a 2010 white TT coupe w/ black Spyder wheels in inventory; the skirts are painted, but not the lip.

http://the-collection.porschedealer....30189/info.php

Basically, my question is whether the painted spoiler lip would demonstrably add to the visual impact, on a white coupe with black wheels? Does it get scraped, too often, that painting it would ultimately make it look worse as the paint gets scratched off?

I know it's entirely subjective, but thanks for any input.

GM
Old 01-26-2010, 05:15 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

IM_H_O? Keep it black. Looks "tougher" for a road car. Gotta look a little tough on the public roads, doncha think?

Painting them makes it look more like a track jobber. Kinda "plasticky" and oddly fake (or whatever that track look does to road cars) not that there's anything wrong with that.

Plus? My stock black front spoiler has got some tar (and scratches) on it from those railroad timbers used in parking lots. I never bothered to clean it off, it's such a PITA. I just clean it off once or twice a year. You get tired of preening your car everyday, it's not like those first months after delivery when you couldn't get enough.

Again just IM_H_O.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 214 Posts

I can't agree with LlBr. I ordered my TT in October last year and specifically waited for a February build slot because the "system" from Porsche would not enter that option code (painted lip). I as well wanted the rockers and rear exhaust apron painted to match. My salesman consulted his body shop to see of we could simply paint one - which was possible - but there I was advised that it is a three part process and the body shop didn't want to do it fearing durability if there was an option to wait for one from the factory. I also saw it as opportunity to save a couple of thousand bucks doing it through a body shop. I am working from memory now but I think the spoiler lip paint option was $ 1,400.00 Canadian and the side rockers and rear apron were another $ 3,000.00. These are crazy numbers I know but I think it is an important enough detail to have done to finish the car appropriately - and my car is Basalt Black! I think the thing looks more menancing and low to the groung with one color - and on a white car...has to be done.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:03 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Overdraft
I can't agree with LlBr.
No problem friend.

FWIW, found this,
Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2010, 07:21 PM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Received 508 Likes on 308 Posts

worth 2,000 words...

Old 01-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

White does look impressive with painted Skirts and spoiler lips!!!!!

Gj
Old 01-26-2010, 07:39 PM
gmaier
Intermediate

Nice side-by-side comparison shots! I do agree with Overdraft that the solid color makes it look lower to the ground, though I'm surprised that it would make much of a difference on a Basalt exterior. To quote Nigel Tufnel, of Spinal Tap fame: "It's like, how much more black could this be?"

There was never any question in my mind re: the side skirts. The second photo makes the spoiler lip look like a pretty good bet, too; it seems to make the car look longer.

I probably would've gotten the factory option, if given the choice, but the car was sourced from dealer inventory, so body shop is the only way to go. Only concern would be whether the lip gets overly scuffed up in daily driving, wearing on the aftermarket finish. Still, body shop is quoting only $600 for the skirts and lip, all in, so not too bad, even if it has to be repainted from time to time.

GM
Old 01-26-2010, 07:53 PM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Received 508 Likes on 308 Posts

I think you are better off getting the side skirts and front lip painted after you get the car anyway. I think I paid Porsche about $2000 to paint mine so you are getting a far better deal.

The front lip will get scraped, especially if you lower the car. Most of the time the scrapes are on the under surface and barely noticeable. You can pick up some touch-up paint and quickly cover the black plastic that shows through the scrapes. The lips are consumable products, so just order a couple of extras from Suncoast and get everything painted at the same time. When the lip gets damaged, just slap a new one on. I have two in my garage ready to go right now.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:03 PM
gmaier
Intermediate

Thanks, Sparkhill. On the Porsche Car Configurator, it prices the painted skirts at $750 and the spoiler lip at $640, so the all-in $600 body shop quote is less than half. Do you replace the lip, yourself? If so, how easy is it to just slap on?
Old 01-26-2010, 08:07 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Yes, you can definitely go the touch up paint route when necessary. It's so low and the lighting angle would have to be so unusual, there's no way anybody will see it: if anybody does notice that's one insane person!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gmaier
Nice side-by-side comparison shots! I do agree with Overdraft that the solid color makes it look lower to the ground, though I'm surprised that it would make much of a difference on a Basalt exterior. To quote Nigel Tufnel, of Spinal Tap fame: "It's like, how much more black could this be?"

There was never any question in my mind re: the side skirts. The second photo makes the spoiler lip look like a pretty good bet, too; it seems to make the car look longer.

I probably would've gotten the factory option, if given the choice, but the car was sourced from dealer inventory, so body shop is the only way to go. Only concern would be whether the lip gets overly scuffed up in daily driving, wearing on the aftermarket finish. Still, body shop is quoting only $600 for the skirts and lip, all in, so not too bad, even if it has to be repainted from time to time.

GM
Not much of a differance granted...but a beautiful detail to beautiful lines...and btw, would it not be sensible for Porsche to paint the ENTIRE car for the money spent....
Old 01-26-2010, 08:19 PM
trice9
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

definitely paint the side skirts and front apron, but not the air intake slats - too monochrome.

overdraft, you are positive that you are getting the rear apron painted? that option was not available for me, had the dealer look into it, but no dice. what's the code? mine is a feb build. odd because if you got the turbo aero kit, that included painted front lip, side skirts, and rear apron. but to do it ala cart, the only options were for front lip, air intake slats, and side skirts. is canada different than us?
Old 01-26-2010, 08:24 PM
gmaier
Intermediate

...and btw, would it not be sensible for Porsche to paint the ENTIRE car for the money spent....
+1. Falls in the same vein as paying extra for floor mats.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Not much of a differance granted...but a beautiful detail to beautiful lines...and btw, would it not be sensible for Porsche to paint the ENTIRE car for the money spent....
One final point...I painted the side vents, door handles and mirrors over and above my body kit body work just to finish my RR. It was only a shade off the stock grey in the case of the vents and handles (mirrors were flat black) but it think it finished it off jsut so. Again...the average guy might just comment/ think that this one looks a little bit better than another yet they just don't know why. Made me - or the owner in any of our cars - happy anyway, which is the primary reason we do it...what ever makes you love your car.
Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2010, 08:29 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trice9
definitely paint the side skirts and front apron, but not the air intake slats - too monochrome.

overdraft, you are positive that you are getting the rear apron painted? that option was not available for me, had the dealer look into it, but no dice. what's the code? mine is a feb build. odd because if you got the turbo aero kit, that included painted front lip, side skirts, and rear apron. but to do it ala cart, the only options were for front lip, air intake slats, and side skirts. is canada different than us?
Agreed air intake slats in titanium (stock) is the correct call - for me anyway. The lower apron was CNG 'Lower Part of Rear Apron Painted' - $ 810.00 Canadian. Not sure the "package" was available in Canada to save some money - wasn't offered to me the buggers.

Quick Reply: Painted side skirts and spoiler lip?