Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hardtop for my new 997.2 TT cab.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 05:14 PM
ICUP
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop for my new 997.2 TT cab.

Hi folks

just wanted to start off by thanking everyone for all of the information that you have posted on Rennlist. I found it very informative reading in the months leading up to deciding to take the plunge on a new 2010 997 cab (by the way the other car that I was considering was a new 2009 left over DB9).

So I put in my order for a new 2010 997.2 TT cab about 2 weeks ago(full details on options below) and spoke with the dealer about getting a hardtop. He's telling me that they used to be standard on 996s and that most people opted not to take them home (btw consistent with what folks have mentioned here on Rennlist) but that now it will set me back an additional $4,400 (which according to him is a good deal). Has anyone order a hardtop for their 997? is it any different than the one for 996 cabs? and does $4400 sound a bit much?

Options list on the car that I ordered (delivery date expected to be mid march)
Meteor Grey
Black Full Leather
Sport Chrono Pacakage Turbo
PDK Transmission
Sport Wheel w/Shifter Paddles
PVT - (Porsche Torque Vectoring)
Heated Front Seats
Wheel Caps/Colored Crests
Universal Audio Interface
Seat Ventilation
Dynamic Cornering Lights
Bluetooth Interface
Parking Assist System
XM Radio
Floor Mats
Old 01-14-2010, 05:35 PM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a hardtop for a cab several years ago, and never used it. 4.4k seems about right. BTW, Im not sure if you realize, but the turboS is right around the corner. They should begin arriving in the US around May, and will be a MY2011.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I ordered a hardtop for my 997S and appreciate having it. If you can afford a 997 Turbo what's another $5k? They have changed slightly over the years,--primarily in the mounting department. The current design (since around 03 perhaps) utilizes large allen-headed bolts to secure the top. earlier ones were plagued with noise, so they say.
Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Had hardtop with my '99 C2 Cab (plastic rear window/canvas), used it about a week in five years.
Had hardtop with my '04 C4S Cab (glass window/canvas), used it once, to get home from delivery.
NO hardtop on my '09 Turbo Cab.

The canvas is better nowadays, and the glass rear window makes using a hardtop unnecessary, unless you leave the car out in snow/ice a lot. For me, it's a no-brainer - no hardtop.

But depending on your climate, and if the car sits out in bad weather a lot, that should tell you what to do.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 01-14-2010, 06:23 PM
ICUP
AutoX

Thanks for coming back guys. Think i will just go ahead and order it; just wanted to make sure that it sounded like a fair price. I live in the northeast and will def be driving it in the winter so just want to make sure that the snow, salt etc. doesn't degrade the canvas. I also quite like the way the car looks with the hardtop on.

By the way I'm also looking for some hoist options if you guys have any suggestions, something that can make installation and removal an one man job and so I could leave it hanging in the garage.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:28 PM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Here>> http://hoistlifts.com/porche.html
Old 01-14-2010, 08:53 PM
trice9
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

icup,

did you just place an order and got a feb build (assuming given your march expected delivery)? I would think it would be too late to spec a feb build. or is this an incoming car that you are buying (i.e, didn't spec it, but dealer did. it looks like a dealer spec'd car. not in a bad way, it's nice.)

i ask because many have found it near impossible to find a real available allocation to personally spec out. there are some S allocations out there, but there were virtually zero regular turbo allocations to spec. wondering if some new allocations came across the transom. if you got an allocation to spec out (as opposed to taking an incoming one for inventory) please share when you secured this allocation and is it final (wondering if dealer is stringing you along).

fwiw, i managed to get a march build allocation, but it was near impossible to find one. regarding the hardtop, i too am getting a cab, and based on the folks i've spoken too, very few use it regularly. i opted not to get it.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:17 PM
ICUP
AutoX

Hi trice9
That's right i placed an order and spec'ed it as i wanted for a feb build, just looked it my docs and the order date was actually Dec 26th(they also have a deposit from me so I'm done). But i didn't finalize the hardtop at the time. The dealer told me i could get it whenever i wanted because it would be ordered through parts. So i'll pick that up in October.

This is actually my second Porsche from the same sales man, he sold me a new 05 Cayenne S which I'm keeping. I suppose that may have been taken into consideration because I got only one of three non 'S' turbo cabs that they were allocated for 2010 and they are one of the biggest dealers in the north east.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:28 AM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Received 499 Likes on 301 Posts

Talk to Ric or Steve at Suncoast. They consistently have the best prices.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:07 AM
solarlottry
AutoX

Suncoast is the best place for Porsche parts. My dealer in hawaii has 2 or 3 build slots for turbo S cars that are unfilled. They are also have 3 TT 2010 models coming in that are unsold as well. The 2011TTS you can order and customize in the near future but i dont know if that is possible for the 2010TT build slots here in hawaii as they have already ordered the cars. They may be able to do some customization of the interior.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:23 AM
trice9
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ICUP
Hi trice9
That's right i placed an order and spec'ed it as i wanted for a feb build, just looked it my docs and the order date was actually Dec 26th(they also have a deposit from me so I'm done). But i didn't finalize the hardtop at the time. The dealer told me i could get it whenever i wanted because it would be ordered through parts. So i'll pick that up in October.

This is actually my second Porsche from the same sales man, he sold me a new 05 Cayenne S which I'm keeping. I suppose that may have been taken into consideration because I got only one of three non 'S' turbo cabs that they were allocated for 2010 and they are one of the biggest dealers in the north east.
Thats's good to hear, glad it worked out for you. I know for many others (and almost me), it's been disappointing because they allocations to spec are very limited. I too have a feb build, think I earlier said march build, I think March because my estimated completion date is March 9. When is yours?
Old 01-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

In some 996 years, the hardtop option required the spinlocks installed during production....you could not 'add' a hardtop after the fact...so check that to be sure the car is being built to spec a hard top.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:02 AM
ICUP
AutoX

Trice9
The sales guy told me that I was pretty lucky to be able to spec out my own car – he said if I had waited another 3 days it would have been too late to do that. I don’t actually have a completion date but sounds like we are in the same batch (I don’t know about you but March can’t come around quick enough – can hardly wait to drive it). Would be quite interested in seeing what options you have on yours? And whether you ended up going for some sort of radar detector – that’s a dealer installed option so I haven’t made a decision on that.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:28 AM
ICUP
AutoX

In some 996 years, the hardtop option required the spinlocks installed during production....you could not 'add' a hardtop after the fact...so check that to be sure the car is being built to spec a hard top.
apparently installing the hardware to be able to support the hardtop is now done by the dealers and no longer at the factory - supposedly that's why it now costs over 4k
Old 01-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ICUP
apparently installing the hardware to be able to support the hardtop is now done by the dealers and no longer at the factory - supposedly that's why it now costs over 4k
I find that hard to believe. I took delivery in Europe and the hardtop was on it. I left it with them while cruising the autobahns for a month. How would the hardtop GET to the states if the hardware wasn't already in the car?

Use an E-Z-Lift for a one-man install and deinstall of the top. Takes 8 minutes either way.

Do a search within the 997 forum for my previous posting on that lift.

Quick Reply: Hardtop for my new 997.2 TT cab.