Sponsored by:

Made the decision, and bought the Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Vaino
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Made the decision, and bought the Turbo

First I want to thank all the folks on the board for their guidance, opinions on my journey to getting the 997TT. I was at a crossroads between the 997.1 GT3 (Which I have lusted after at the track seen I first saw it) and the TT. I've wanted a Turbo ever since I saw one back in '79 at the New York Autoshow. Loved the shape, raw nature of power and the bulging fenders. Years later I purchased the second car I always wanted, a 944 Turbo, and I have had her for the past ten years.

So, down the the matter at hand. I bought a 2007 997 TT, with 16K miles, CPO through 2012, Basalt Black with Black interior, sport chrono, adaptive sport seats, B16, H&R sways, AWE Exhaust (Stock on her now), GIAC, Champion RS98's, JoJack, Satelitte radio, etc. 2.5K miles on the aftermarket parts. Stock parts included in the deal (except the wheels). It was a Rennlister car, and was traded in on a new GT3. I'll let them chime in if they so desire. I pick her up on Saturday, and I will post some good photo's of her on the weekend. Here are a couple from the dealer.

I had the suspension set to 15mm down from stock (was down 40mm), and ECLOU's alignment as part of the deal. Service history was excellent and very well maintained. Can't wait to drive her home on Saturday. Weather looks great for the 186 miles run!

Last edited by Vaino; 12-16-2009 at 12:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-16-2009, 11:46 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,237 Likes on 607 Posts

Vaino that looks like a real winner, and the extra goodies are perfect - wheels, suspension, exhaust, ecu flash. Coming from a 944 turbo as well, I would caution you as to how much power your car will have. Any undue nudging of the throttle is going to feel like a warp jump. Going to be tough to keep the points off your driver's license!
Old 12-16-2009, 12:17 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent, you got one of the last "good" ones engine-wise too! Also, when I went from 997S to 997TT I became convinced all NA Porsches are underpowered.

The car goes fast very fast. There's no waiting for triple digits; slows down fast too. Point-and-shoot. Unless your habit and desire is to _sustain_ high speeds, using an instant-velocity jackrabbit driving technique makes driving fun and harder for cops to catch you.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Vaino
Racer

Thank You Eclou. I understand on the power issue. I've driven all sorts of things at the track, as an instructor, (up to 800whp), but do plan to give the car all due respect. My most current fun street car was the Z4M Coupe, with 340 HP. I'll likely start out conservative, with the GIAC set to stock mode, and work my way up.

The 944T is stock, and purposely kept that way. She is a very early model, without ABS, Airbags, etc., and has been a great weekend only toy. She still looks great, but alas I don't have garage space for everything, so I will be selling her in the spring. ;(

I'll keep my 968 track car, the 997TT and the V10 Touareg. Should be enough to keep me happy for a while.

Definately looking forward to having more power then I need!
Old 12-16-2009, 12:39 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,237 Likes on 607 Posts

Vaino I have a very similar garage as you!

Old 12-16-2009, 12:45 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats, I love those wheels!
Very nice car!
At least 15k worth of parts and labor, you done good!
Try and get a stock set of rims outta them to mount snows on....
Old 12-16-2009, 03:09 PM
nyamg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a beauty, basalt is my favorite color for the TT, the wheels look amazing, plus all the upgrades.....enjoy it.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:06 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Congrats! You made the same tough decision I made earlier this year. Sometimes I still lust for a GT3, but I know I made the right decision with the TT. Basalt rocks - you're my east coast twin! Enjoy!
Old 12-16-2009, 08:35 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Vaino, she looks great and appears to have been kept in great condition. Make sure you have the radar laser protection. From the looks of the ecu upgrade and other enhancements it will be very enticing stretch that RPM range and you'll need extra protection. Good luck on a great purchase.

Jay
Old 12-16-2009, 08:40 PM
DLJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the great purchase! Wheels look terrific and the ride height looks awesome. Lots of nice opts. color combo, and add ons too. Look forward to hearing about your driving experiences with it. I also agree that the TT is perhaps the better choice all round vs. the GT3 for ease of DD, back seats, etc. - not to mention some serious thrust to keep you interested...
Old 12-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Vaino
Racer

Thanks Guys. I'm counting down the hours to Saturday. I forgot to mention the builtin K40 radar/laser, although I prefer the Valentine 1 is have now. Hoping the weather holds out. Current forecast is very cold, but sunny!
Old 12-17-2009, 01:12 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The K40 has not let me down.

Congrats on the car.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:09 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vaino
Thanks Guys. I'm counting down the hours to Saturday. ........ Hoping the weather holds out. Current forecast is very cold, but sunny!
LOL! Do what I did: Go and do all sorts of nice things for the wife and kids and fix things around the house NOW (kills time ). This way they will be satisfied and not miss you too much when you're gone with the new baby!
Old 12-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Vaino
Racer

Originally Posted by eclou
......Going to be tough to keep the points off your driver's license!
Agreed. I've been lucky so far, hence my concerns with which radar detector. One of the deciding factors against the GT3 was high profile with the big wing in the back. The TT was a little more under the radar. Black or Gray was my preferred color as they blend better in traffic. Would like to keep the points off the license, especially on those very early morning runs to my office when the roads are empty, the sun isn't quite up, and some good tunes are playing. That loud pedal just wants to be excercised. Hopng my luck continues.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:03 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! The k40 is awesome.

Quick Reply: Made the decision, and bought the Turbo