Sponsored by:

Overboost?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 07:34 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Overboost?

I just finished reading the article on the new Turbo in this months Panorama which was excellent, but prompted me to ask a question here on this board.

Can someone explain to me the overboost function on the Turbo? I have read many articles on the new 2010 Turbo since placing an order back in October and have yet to run into an article that sufficiently explains why the overboost only lasts for approximately ten seconds, and two what is the time period before you can engage the overboost function again. I do realize that it increases the torque to 516 lb/ft in the low rpm range. But that's about it.

If you can give a link to an article, or offer an answer I would love to learn more about this function.

Jay
Old 12-09-2009, 08:17 PM
TWTURBO
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm guessing they didn't want us getting in trouble ,it's the same thing on the the 07 tt only ten seconds of fun ,then you let off the gas & another ten secs & so on,i think that's why so many people flash including myself for unlimited fun.I saw the "10" turbo at LA Auto show your gonna love it & find it to have ample power in stock form ,then just add some more mods here & there ,it's like a learning curve you think you wouldn't want any more power till you get used to it & start investigating here for more hp .

Last edited by TWTURBO; 12-10-2009 at 02:33 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:37 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ23
I just finished reading the article on the new Turbo in this months Panorama which was excellent, but prompted me to ask a question here on this board.

Can someone explain to me the overboost function on the Turbo? I have read many articles on the new 2010 Turbo since placing an order back in October and have yet to run into an article that sufficiently explains why the overboost only lasts for approximately ten seconds, and two what is the time period before you can engage the overboost function again. I do realize that it increases the torque to 516 lb/ft in the low rpm range. But that's about it.

If you can give a link to an article, or offer an answer I would love to learn more about this function.

Jay
Overboost is not time related, it is rpm related. The car will overboost only between 2000 and 4000 rpm in any gear and you can do it all day long. I think the 10 second refers to the longest time you can be between these rpms at WOT, which is in higher gears.
997.1 and 997.2 have the same overboost setup and in both cars after 4k rpm the boost will drop back to normal.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:12 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

10 seconds of overboost and you are definitely breaking the law. If it lasted 20 seconds, people would be getting killed, the speed would be so high. I'm referring to street driving.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Kerry
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche wanted to give you more horsepower, but keep the peak horsepower the same.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:52 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks for the comments. Definitely have a better understanding of it now.
Jay
Old 12-18-2009, 12:08 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 909 Likes on 547 Posts

On my TT it is the TQ, not the HP, that goes up by 45 ft-lbs during über boost.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:18 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

For public roads the only care I have about OB is that it's working to the max. IOW, step on it at around 2K, when you get frisky and conditions allow it. 16-18 psi if I remember correctly. Otherwise I never think about it except to check the psi; it's just something the car does.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:26 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TWTURBO
I'm guessing they didn't want us getting in trouble ,it's the same thing on the the 07 tt only ten seconds of fun ,then you let off the gas & another ten secs & so on,i think that's why so many people flash including myself for unlimited fun.I saw the "10" turbo at LA Auto show your gonna love it & find it to have ample power in stock form ,then just add some more mods here & there ,it's like a learning curve you think you wouldn't want any more power till you get used to it & start investigating here for more hp .
Porsche let me sit in that cabrio turbo at the show after they configured a turbo for me. I will post the link here to my thread in the gt2/gt3 forum after I get home. You can't copy and paste with this mobile device I have.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Porsche wanted to charge the extra $3500 or so just for a little extra fun.

Quick Reply: Overboost?