Sponsored by:

Battery Charger questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 10:33 PM
OneManTX
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Battery Charger questions

I usually drive my TT daily but have another car I sometimes drive. How much down time is worth having/plugging in the trickle charger?

I'm going away for two weeks in December - worth charging while gone?

Also, is the Porsche one needed/worth it or any microprocessor controlled charger OK (I have a Black and Decker one).
Old 12-03-2009, 11:00 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 134 Posts

I finally caved and ordered the Porsche branded trickle charger. Probably most any 'brand-name' unit should work fine.
I don't drive my car for weeks at a time (been almost 4 weeks since the last time come to think of it). Very bad for the battery. Fortunately, I live in a warm climate or else the car would have been dead long ago.
Being from Texas, I wouldn't worry too much about letting a car sit idle for only 2 weeks.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:06 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If I ain't driving them, they are plugged in. It's so easy to do. Open the passanger door, plug in, close door. Walk away.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:28 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Minor point worth mentioning...

A trickle charger is simply a constant current supply...it sources a continuous "trickle" current to a battery. Cheap and somewhat outdated technology that will eventually shorten your battery's life (which is short enough already).

A modern "battery maintainer" will actually measure time, temp, voltage, current and not apply any current when none is required. A bit more expensive, but much more friendly to a battery.

If in doubt regarding what type of charger you have, don't use it. Buy the appropriate one.

As for leaving the car, the initial internal design specifications was to allow the car to sit for up to 30 days and start upon return. However, there are many variables in this spec, like temperature and battery age/condition. It was eventually shortened to 2-3 weeks.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:40 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Minor point worth mentioning...

A trickle charger is simply a constant current supply...it sources a continuous "trickle" current to a battery. Cheap and somewhat outdated technology that will eventually shorten your battery's life (which is short enough already).

A modern "battery maintainer" will actually measure time, temp, voltage, current and not apply any current when none is required. A bit more expensive, but much more friendly to a battery.

If in doubt regarding what type of charger you have, don't use it. Buy the appropriate one.

As for leaving the car, the initial internal design specifications was to allow the car to sit for up to 30 days and start upon return. However, there are many variables in this spec, like temperature and battery age/condition. It was eventually shortened to 2-3 weeks.
+1 on Lewis' comments... get a battery maintainer. CTEK makes the Porsche branded maintainer. The generic CTEK Multi US 3300 is the Porsche unit plus an AGM mode and the ability to use clips or clamps... all for about 30% less than the cost of the Porsche unit.

I have CTEKs crawling out of the woodwork over here. The Multi US 7000 and 7002 (newest version) work very well and also have 'supply' and 'recondition' modes. Just make sure you get the cigarette adapter with comfort connect if you want to plug it into the interior.
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2009, 09:15 PM
turbolou
Instructor

Default Reply

Check out Schumacher electric they make all sorts of chargers & won't cost you a fortune. I use their automatic version with out any issues.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:05 PM
cabman4007
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I think my OEM unit was $60 and I ve used it daily since 2003 on my cab and on my TT.

I ve never had a battery problem.

It is a great investment.

Cab

Old 12-08-2009, 05:08 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cabman4007
I think my OEM unit was $60 and I ve used it daily since 2003 on my cab and on my TT.

I ve never had a battery problem.

It is a great investment.

Cab

Does this unit turn off by itself once the charge is full?
Old 12-08-2009, 05:10 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by bonehead
Does this unit turn off by itself once the charge is full?
Yes, for example in that picture the unit is "off" when the red light goes out/off.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:13 PM
cabman4007
Racer

It is all automatic.

Just plug this unit into the wall and the wire into the cigarette lighter and it goes on and off depending on the cars' need.

Sometimes i am in the garage and the small red light is on but an hour later it turns off.

Its fool proof IMO.

In 7 years I ve never had a battery failure with a P car using this $60 device.

After I turn the car off the plug goes in faithfully even if I am using the car the next day.

It works for me.

Cabman
Old 12-08-2009, 05:18 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

I am always amazed just how much topping-off that little charger will do on the cars, even after a +300 mile drive.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:20 PM
cabman4007
Racer

I just went into the garage and open the Turbo door and closed it and poof the charger came on and will stay on for 10 mins. It has an immediate response.

here is what it looks like on.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:10 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cabman4007
I just went into the garage and open the Turbo door and closed it and poof the charger came on and will stay on for 10 mins. It has an immediate response.

here is what it looks like on.

Excellent. I have one on the way already but wanted to be sure it regulated itself. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:45 PM
hatchback
Advanced

The battery in my 997tt went completely dead (family left the door open). I plugged the Ctek 3300 into the vehicle cigarette lighter on Monday and now 3 days later it still isn't charged up to green. Is that normal? Or does that mean I need to replace my battery?
Old 12-10-2009, 06:59 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by hatchback
The battery in my 997tt went completely dead (family left the door open). I plugged the Ctek 3300 into the vehicle cigarette lighter on Monday and now 3 days later it still isn't charged up to green. Is that normal? Or does that mean I need to replace my battery?
Will the car start? Temperture? For a "dead" battery, the 3 days does not surprise me. The worst thing for a bettery is a complete discharge like you had. But, it should be OK.

Quick Reply: Battery Charger questions