Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chipping my Turbo ... ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 06:52 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Bagger, the sound is there with the stock exhaust without a doubt. I supect an exhaust valve/cam solenoid. The fvd merely magnified the sound. I would take the car to the dealer, bypass any other shops, this is a PCNA warranty issue.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Chris .... thanx for another 'expert ear' here. I appreciate that. The car sounds fine to me, but what do I know.

I'm glad that other folks on the board find the same/same deal that FVD is finding. The Porsche dealer did not notice anything.

But, in an email, the service manager wants to help me find the problem "if there is a problem".

I just don't know what tests should be done to find what ever is causing this. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:14 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd start by scanning it looking for pending codes, then have the service manager listen to yours next to another stock tt, side by side. If they 'don't hear anything' they are FOS, take it to another dealer and contact PCNA yourself. You could always have the guys at Farnbacher-Loles in Danbury look at it and run a scanner. their 87 car just won grand am, I think porsche will listen to anything they say. Call and ask for Dino.
Be prepared for porsche to blame the exhaust....
Old 11-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Thanx, Chris ... sounds like a plan. Appreciate your help, m'friend.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Chris ...

I do have the Durametric tool that FVD sent me. I'm not all that savvy with tech stuff, but I was able to hook the car up to the tool and check for turbo faults via my laptop. None showed up.

FVD sent me the tool to check for a problem. Are you familiar with this tool?

Can I use this same tool to hook up to the Turbo and find what we are looking for?
Old 11-12-2009, 09:29 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
Chris ...

I do have the Durametric tool that FVD sent me. I'm not all that savvy with tech stuff, but I was able to hook the car up to the tool and check for turbo faults via my laptop. None showed up.

FVD sent me the tool to check for a problem. Are you familiar with this tool?

Can I use this same tool to hook up to the Turbo and find what we are looking for?
Bagger,

I made a quick video this evening to give you something to compare to. Yes... the engine was warm.

Here's a link to the video:

http://files.me.com/cabby96/7ge8yw.mov

RE the Durametric, it's an OBD tool. If the car doesn't throw a code, the Durametric will show no error codes. You can, however, obtain other info off the tool such as revs, ignitions, operating hours, etc.

After listening more to your vid, I'm thinking you have a turbo problem. Wasn't there a somewhat recent TSB on lubricating the VTGs?

Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
Bagger,

I made a quick video this evening to give you something to compare to. Yes... the engine was warm.

RE the Durametric, it's an OBD tool. If the car doesn't throw a code, the Durametric will show no error codes. You can, however, obtain other info off the tool such as revs, ignitions, operating hours, etc.

After listening more to your vid, I'm thinking you have a turbo problem. Wasn't there a somewhat recent TSB on lubricating the VTGs?

Keep us posted on your progress.
RJ ...

I did use 'the tool' to check for revs, ignitions operating hours and all that sort of stuff. Nothing was showing and I'm the original owner with a car that had like 5 miles on it when I took it home. No codes, no faults with 6.0 beta version of software Brambacher sent me.

BTW ... listening to your car ... I'm not sure there is much difference in the sound. Yes, mine is much LOUDER ... but, the position of the vid/audio is different than mine. Sound from my camera may be different as well. I'm using a Canon Power Shot SD750 held at about 7-8 o'clock from the middle of the car, 3 feet from the driver's side exhaust port revving to 3500 and backing off. EZ to see the difference on vid.

I'm certainly no audiophile (don't listen to XM/Sirius ... just Country on FM) ... but, your audio sounds much like mine? I am sorta deaf on the right side from riding too many Harleys with loud pipes with no helmet (which has been corrected 15 years ago ... the helmet deal). But, I'm not sure your car sounds all that much different than mine.

What am I missing?
Old 11-12-2009, 10:03 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 130 Posts

Think I agree with Bagger. With the obvious exception of the BLAAAAAAT coming off the accelerator, there is a fart-like quality to RJ's exhaust too. Assume it's the turbos. Jeez, hope that's not what everyone elses (and by everyone, I mean mine) car sounds like.....
Old 11-13-2009, 12:11 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

RJ ...

BTW ... listening to your car ... I'm not sure there is much difference in the sound. Yes, mine is much LOUDER ... but, the position of the vid/audio is different than mine. Sound from my camera may be different as well. I'm using a Canon Power Shot SD750 held at about 7-8 o'clock from the middle of the car, 3 feet from the driver's side exhaust port revving to 3500 and backing off. EZ to see the difference on vid.
Bagger,

No doubt, sound is subjective.

I don't want to hyperanalyze this, but my car doesn't 'blat' like yours. If you listen closely, my off throttle transitions are much smoother than yours. They also seem to last longer before transitioning into the lower pressure exhaust sound. And it would appear that my lower pressure exhaust sound component is not nearly as pronounced as yours.

What is your tach doing when you come off throttle? Any hesitation in the needle or 'bump' when you get your 'second' exhaust sound just after the 'blat'?

The exhaust, as I understand it, was designed with off throttle burble in mind. Turbo speed and exhaust pressure will vary and so will the audible transitions.

My car has a characteristic growl to it... but it doesn't sound anything like my farts IMO.

Now I have heard some farty exhausts in my time... like the sound of rushing 'poofy' air... and this ain't one of 'em!

Perhaps some of the other FVD crew will chime in on what differences they may or may not perceive.

Just trying to help a brutha out!
Old 11-13-2009, 12:20 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bonehead
With the obvious exception of the BLAAAAAAT coming off the accelerator
That's precisely the issue as I perceive it.

However, with sound being so subjective, we could all be out of our minds LOL.

"Fart sounds are in the ear of the Beholder."
Old 11-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^...RJ tell me when you do want to hyperanalyze...i'll get the gallon of ink
Old 11-15-2009, 01:15 AM
cannga
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
Bagger,

RJ ...

I'm certainly no audiophile (don't listen to XM/Sirius ... just Country on FM) ... but, your audio sounds much like mine? I am sorta deaf on the right side from riding too many Harleys with loud pipes with no helmet (which has been corrected 15 years ago ... the helmet deal). But, I'm not sure your car sounds all that much different than mine.
FWIW, and knowing that it's very hard to compare sound as the recording techniques are different, but I do hear that "blatty" higher frequency sound in RJFabCab's FVD system as well. More specifically in that video of RJFabCab, it is at 13 sec. for a very brief moment, then 19 sec., 20, 23, etc.
Another example is at 30 to 35, when it's not there, then it's definitely there at the end of 35 sec.

Baggerdude has a much more prominent blatty sound, intolerable with the FVD, and you could almost hear a hint of it with the stock. I do not know whether it's from recording technique (position of mic, the room, etc.), but it does seem quite a bit worse with Baggerdude's FVD.
In both cars, the blatty sound came on seemingly when throttle was lifted.

It's possible that this sound is there with most exhaust systems, but
a. it's more prominent here, and
b. most of the times we don't hear it because it comes on when you are lifting off the throttle, and most likely sitting inside the car.
That said, I don't recall hearing this sound when I recorded my Turbo's after-market exhaust system though. Now I am curious; I should make another recording to check again.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:28 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 130 Posts

Any updates Bagger?
Old 11-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Update ... and it is not good.

As I wrote before, the 2nd set of FVDs made the same/same sound when the car was revved to 3500 rpm and then let off the throttle. Same when driving the car, too.

The Porsche shop and I decided to remove the 2nd FVD can/cats and reinstalled the OEMs.

No problems as far as I can tell. Car runs strong ... no obnoxious 'clown farts' with the OEMs ... girl friend is happy.

I wrote Rhonda ... packed up both sets of exhausts and am presently waiting for some response from FVD and pick up of the 2 systems.

I must say ... I'm pretty frustrated and bummed here. I was soooo hoping for the FVDs to work on my car. But, I can't believe that both sets sounded as they did. Must be my car ... altho, my car sounds like every other stock Turbo that several folks have listened to. I don't think there is a problem with my car, tho .... just some fluke stuff. I don't know.

FVD plans to hook up both sets on a '09 Turbo in Germany I'm told. They want to see what they find when my 2 units are hooked up on another car. I'm interested in seeing what they find.

I will certainly post their finding when I know more. FVD has been very attentive and the customer service from ***** Brambacher and Rhonda has been terrific. They have done a very good job here. I'm just sorry that the units did not work out for some reason. Bummed here folks.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Webtool1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear of your problems. Its frustrating when you get caught with inexplicable problems like that.
Gotta give points to FVD though, that really is incredible customer service!

Quick Reply: Chipping my Turbo ... ?