Sponsored by:

Chipping my Turbo ... ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Webtool1
Sorry to hear of your problems. Its frustrating when you get caught with inexplicable problems like that.
Gotta give points to FVD though, that really is incredible customer service!
Yeah, it is fustrating and time consuming as well.

The boxes are being picked up today. I hope FVD can figure out something ... anything.

And, yes .... FVD has been very helpful. I'm happy with all they have done. I could not ask more from them.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:13 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, FVD is very helpful indeed. Still, mine sounds nothing like your vids at all. Interesting to see the final verdict from FVD.
Bagger, if I were you, I'd hook up with some used tubis(several on 6speed), you will be happy. They are the absolute best on a cab.
c
Old 12-08-2009, 02:17 PM
GMP - Matthew
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Bagger, I have a Speedart system on the shelf, it's made by the same company FVD uses for theirs, like FVD speedart just installs different "insides" in their mufflers. We have installed it for video clip reasons on a 997 Cab. It has no drone at all but does have a nice exotic sound to it. Since we have put about 50 miles on it or so I would be willing to make you a deal on it. It does come with quad style tips as well in a chrome finish. If we shipped it out today it would get there by Thursday. We are out of Charlotte North Carolina.

Just an FYI we have installed B&B, Tubi, Tubi Race, and Fabspeed and we have yet to hear that sound ever with any of those systems including Speedart obviously.

Also where in CT are you from? My home town is Fairfield. My father and two sisters still live up there and my in-laws so I'm up there few times a year
Old 12-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GMP - Matthew
Hey Bagger, I have a Speedart system on the shelf, it's made by the same company FVD uses for theirs, like FVD speedart just installs different "insides" in their mufflers. We have installed it for video clip reasons on a 997 Cab. It has no drone at all but does have a nice exotic sound to it. Since we have put about 50 miles on it or so I would be willing to make you a deal on it. It does come with quad style tips as well in a chrome finish. If we shipped it out today it would get there by Thursday. We are out of Charlotte North Carolina.

Just an FYI we have installed B&B, Tubi, Tubi Race, and Fabspeed and we have yet to hear that sound ever with any of those systems including Speedart obviously.

Also where in CT are you from? My home town is Fairfield. My father and two sisters still live up there and my in-laws so I'm up there few times a year
Matthew .... thanx for the offer. I'm waiting for Germany/FVD/MM to listen to the 2 exhusts units I sent back once they are installed on a '09 turbo. I'm interested in hearing what they hear once the exhausts are hooked up.

At this point, I'm just "on idle". My GF is not interested in another 'Clown Fart' exhaust system. She even mentioned to me yesterday that she was pleased to hear the 'original mufflers' again.

So that's where I am at this point. But, I'll revisit this in the spring. BTW, I'm like 20 minutes east of Hartford. Not near where you travel.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:44 AM
GMP - Matthew
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I hear ya Bagger, when your woman is happy life is good.

Not sure if I remember reading but is your car running on stock software? If your are a software upgrade would definately more bang for the dollar without the bang (sound)

Save my contact information and keep us posted on what FVD says as M&M not only makes their exhaust but they also make exhausts for Speedart an Aftermarket Porsche Brand we import.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:30 PM
zak911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for an 07-08 TT. Now I'm going to add "listen for clown farts" to my PPI checklist.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Default Update ...

Update ... I just got off the phone with Rhonda at FVD. Both systems were sent back to Germany and installed on a '09 Turbo. They could not reproduce the sound I was experiencing.

But, they did some 'surgery' to the cans and modified the balance tube which they tho't may be causing some of the back off noise I experienced. But, never really found anything 'wrong'.

I'm not surprised. But, a bit sorry they did not find the same/same issue. Could be something 'about my car' that is just different than most? I don't know. The car runs great. I've got 6900 miles on it since last January's delivery and if anything, it's stronger now than ever. Not a hiccup anywhere. Odd, ain't it.

Rhonda told me some really great news, too .... FVD is refunding ALL of the installation moneys I spent installing the initial system, changing it to the 2nd system and then back to OEM. Pretty pricey at the Porsche shop, too. But, what a great company FVD is to do this. And .... they said that they would ship the modified system back to me ... for another try ... and if it did not work out, they would refund the install for that as well. Incredible customer service.

Not sure what I will do at this point. Cold, snowy, icy, dirty roads here in New England ... I can only get the car out once a week or so, now. And, the summer tires don't work well in 10* temps. I'll wait til spring and see where I am then. I'm a bit gun shy at this point.

But, once again .... FVD is incredible ! Thanx to everyone there, Rhonda, and in Germany as well.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:37 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 137 Posts

Wow! That IS incredible. Truly great customer service. Wonder what it is about your car that amplifies the 'farting'? Anyways, keep us updated on how the final installation goes. Merry X-mas!
Old 12-24-2009, 11:41 AM
GMP - Matthew
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Bagger what year is your car?
Old 12-24-2009, 11:43 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

Bagger the 997tt VTG turbochargers do not have a wastegate to dump excess exhaust pressure when letting off the throttle - it relies on the quick reaction of the variable vane (VTG) mechanism to swing the vanes open and closed to bleed off the pressure. If yours is sticking somehow it might make this kind of noise - there is a TSB on making sure the linkage is lubed properly which your porsche service dept should perform.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 241 Posts

That's great news Bagger and kudos to FVD.

Put some winter wheels and tires on man! Your car will thank you for it:

Old 12-24-2009, 12:56 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Bagger, you need to listen to mine, nothing like yours at all. Gene may be onto something about that TSB, see if your car was affected.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:23 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

My car is a 2009 ... don't know if that makes any difference, or if the turbo vane linkage is involved. *****, FVD in Germany, was concerned with the variable vanes, too. We did run a Durameter test on the car and nothing regarding the turbos showed up. Not sure it would, tho. I'm not very mechanically inclined.

I have a service needed light on the dash and will take the car in for whatever service is involved .... prolly just routine stuff. I'll have the Porsche shop check for the TSB and check out the linkage for the parts you folks indicated.

As far as winter tires go .... I have to hook up snows for Kris's CLS (which is terrible in snow) already. I have a 4x4 truck with a plow for my driveway, too. It's a pain in the rear (IMO) changing out tires/wheels anyway. I live like 7 miles from work ... driving winter tires on dry roads is not very inspiring IMO. BTDT when I had only one vehicle.

I can still drive the car once or twice a week during the winter months. That's fine. Spring is just around the corner, eh.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:53 AM
MagicCity911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bagger
Did you get this problem resolved? I'm experiencing the same problem with my 07....
Old 06-24-2015, 06:39 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MagicCity911
Bagger
Did you get this problem resolved? I'm experiencing the same problem with my 07....
Pretty old thread, m'friend. But, yes ... it was resolved.

I put on a Cargraphic (loud) exhaust kit. Worked as expected, very nice sound, no 'clown fart' noise, no drone in the cabin, increase in power by about 20 hp. Pretty nice outfit.

The '09 TT was given back to the dealer, and I now have a 2015 TT with aftermarket exhaust.

I have the Cargraphic in my garage in excellent shape. Planning on selling it if I ever get 'round to listing it along with the HRE 43s. I'm just lazy.

Quick Reply: Chipping my Turbo ... ?