Sponsored by:

Chipping my Turbo ... ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bonehead
Good lord, man! That sounds absolutely horrendous. But sounds like FVD is providing some exceptional service. Let us know how the new cans work out. And post some more vids. I need more motivation to drop some non-expendable income on unnecessary purchases
Yes, Brombacher/FVD is providing a very high level of customer service. I'm pleased about that. I just hope the new cans/cats solve the problem. But, it is a huge inconvenience and unless I can get some help with the 2nd installation, it will cost me quite a load of cash changing these puppies out.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:04 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
Yes, Brombacher/FVD is providing a very high level of customer service. I'm pleased about that. I just hope the new cans/cats solve the problem. But, it is a huge inconvenience and unless I can get some help with the 2nd installation, it will cost me quite a load of cash changing these puppies out.
Try hitting up TT Surgeon who's sorta in your neck of the woods. He seems to be the local muffler master. Think he said he installed his FVD in an hour or two??
Old 10-24-2009, 05:11 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the clip I sent to Brombacher and some others ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD2NOOpMUqY
Whoa! That sounds like a major leak somewhere. Can you feel exhaust gas coming out anywhere?
Old 10-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bonehead
Try hitting up TT Surgeon who's sorta in your neck of the woods. He seems to be the local muffler master. Think he said he installed his FVD in an hour or two??
He has been helpful with this problem. But, he's really not in this neck of the Metropolis ... and, I think he said he's done it in about 3 hours. I think the Porsche place took 4 ... at prolly $150/hr ... total cost was $660 to install it.

Yikes !
Old 10-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Whoa! That sounds like a major leak somewhere. Can you feel exhaust gas coming out anywhere?
No ... can't find anything loose, and no leak felt/seen ... sound comes out of both sides of the exhaust, too.

Car runs fine and accelerates like crazy. No issues with performance. Just the BLAAAATTTT sound.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:21 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My god that sounds bad. Maybe some form of Foreign Object Debris? i can't think of anything that would be causing that noise coming down the pipe like that. I'm racking my brain trying to think on what side of the engine that is originating. Crazy man...
Old 10-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

The new muffler/cats arrived today from FVD. I'll have to contact the Porsche dealer to set up a new installation.

On a side note .... this is sorta funny/sad .... I got a call from my girl friend this afternoon. She said that when I left for work this morning, the car "sounded like a clown farting into a bull horn" as I went down the long driveway to the street below.

That is not what I wanted my exhaust to sound like. Crikey !
Old 10-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

The new muffler/cats arrived today from FVD. I'll have to contact the Porsche dealer to set up a new installation.

On a side note .... this is sorta funny/sad .... I got a call from my girl friend this afternoon. She said that when I left for work this morning, the car "sounded like a clown farting into a bull horn" as I went down the long driveway to the street below.

That is not what I wanted my exhaust to sound like. Crikey !
That's a great line!
Funny thing is my wife makes the same comments to me but that's when I'm not in my car.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:45 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Bagger,
I've listened to it several times now, at first I thought it was just the normal quad tip sound, but that is really nothing like mine at all. You have to have a leak, very easy to get one around one of the donut clamps, or at the cat/turbo junction, but you would feel exhaust gas for sure. Keep in mind a cab is always louder than a coupe too, that's why most cabs do better with the tubi imo.
I would be happy to walk you through the swap, actually very easy with the system you have.
c
Old 10-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

TTS .. I'm not sure there is a leak. Could be. But, I find it odd that the BLAAATT sound does not occur initially on fire up or when I turn the car off and back on. It takes a couple minutes for it to present itself. I'm certainly not an expert, but I would expect a leak to appear initially ... and be more obvious under throttle, not off throttle.

Also, wouldn't something show up using the Durametric tool if there were a leak? And, the sound is equal on both sides of the quad tips. ??

I'm going to take the new can/cats down to Porsche and have them check everything for tightness and leaks before we take the car apart. If nothing is found .... we'll exchange the cats/can and try it again before we 'button everything up'.

If no sound occurs, we can .... hopefully .... put this behind us and move on.

FVD is being quite helpful with this and I appreciate everything they've done. Also, I appreciate your insight and help, too, Chris .... I don't have the proper tools to do the exchange. I don't have deep sockets either ... tho't I did. Most of my tools are of "Asian Vintage" since I don't do much in the way of wrenching.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:41 AM
tclayj
5th Gear

I have a FVD 200 cat exhaust. It doesnt sound at all like that. However, I do have an annoying rattle when letting off the gas, especially in the 1500-2500rpm range. It is less noticeable in sport mode. I think my noise is due to the heat shield. It is definatley not the exhaust. Lastly, I chiped mine with APR. Will probably change to another vendor. I am only producing 1.01bar/15psi on a consistant basis. It is a everday driver and the hp gains are no problem in traffic. Any thoughts regarding my issue with the rattle and tune would be appreciated.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:04 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

any updates Bagger?
Old 11-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Update ... well, the new can/cats arrived last week. I contacted the Porsche dealer and will take the car in on Wed/Thurs to have it checked for 'leaks', and if none are found, we'll hook up the new units .... let me come down and check it out before buttoning up the rear of the car.

If it sounds OK with no back rattling "clown farting" sound ... we're good to go. If not ... well, I'll prolly put the stock system back on and look elsewhere.

I'm hoping that the new unit will solve this damn noise issue. BTW, it's getting worse ! At least it seems so. Kris says that when I come home and put the car in the garage ... rev it a couple times ... glassware in the kitchen moves around and she has to reposition them to keep them from tumbling out of the cabinets.

She's not all that happy with the FVDs ... at least this unit.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Well, the news is not good.

Porsche dealer installed the new cats/can from FVD and the BLAAAAAAAAAAT deceleration noise is still there. Crap !

Brombacher called me from Germany last evening and suggested reinstalling the OEM exhaust and see if there is the same/same deceleration sound ... altho much less obvious ... with the OEMs.

If so, they think something is 'wrong with the car'. I don't know what would be wrong with the car, tho. I've had many 911s and drive them as intended and this Turbo is extremely fast and 'right' ... no hiccups, no stumbles, no faults on the Durametric tool FVD sent me either. The car is just nearly perfect in performance. Even with the crap sounding off throttle FVD exhaust note it runs like a gaulded dawg!

Sooooo .... the OEMs are going back on. Dealer could not get it done today for some reason, even tho I saw no cars in the service area being worked on by the techs. I guess I'll have to wait until Montag before I can listen to the OEMs and see if there is the muffled sound I'm hearing with the FVDs.

BTW ... Rhonda and all the folks at FVD/Brombacher are doing a wonderful job with customer service and I appreciate that a great deal. I just hope we can put this problem to bed soon. I'm missing my car and I'm quite frustrated.

FVD and I are thinking about taking the car to someone who is familiar with the FVD exhaust system. I'm all for this as well. But, time is making me a bit crazy here. I want to drive the car and have it sound properly. And, tossing exhausts on and off the car at $600 a throw is becoming a problem as well.

Updates to follow as I find out things ....................
Old 11-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, how long have you been without your car? Like wow man if I had to go that long without a car like that I would flip my lid. Not to mention I'm working up my order list so I can find a build slot at a dealership for a new TT. Just can't wait until I can afford a new one. Will be a very surreal moment considering where I've been, and how far I've come in life!

Quick Reply: Chipping my Turbo ... ?