Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9A1 Turbo engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 03:45 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously, you'd pay more for the same engine as a lowly boxster??Seriously?
When they start racing it at LeMans, I'll drink a freakin pitcher of the Kool-Aid!
Don't believe the hype.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:15 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by brannonspillars
Why can't internal combustion engines, like nanoelectronics, become faster/cheaper/better over time? ...because the technology is so mature that changes are mostly evolutionary rather than revolutionary. There is no Moore's law for the otto cycle. That being said, 40% less moving parts in a lighter, lower-placed engine for the new turbo sounds revolutionary to me. Also, the DFI engine cycle must be more thermodynamically efficient in order to increase power, torque, and fuel efficiency simultaneously---truly revolutionary, in my humble opinion as a former mechanical and aerospace engineer.

I'll be willing to pay more for such advances in technology once it is time to get a new turbo.
There is a Moore's law for engines....it's called Profits and the bottom line.
Design a single engine for both the Carrera and GT/Turbo cars (secondary post machining operation on the same block castings), eliminate the M64 (parts and labor).

The M64 has a very long heritage (AFAIK, longer than any other production Porsche engine by a large margiin) in both production cars AND race cars.
It has continued to allow increases in performance over its life....truly an impressive design.....if you like to view that as continuous improvement than fine.
The new engine MAY in fact live up to this heritage....but I am at least skeptical, knowing a bit of how and why it came into being.

BTW, there are some 'standards of design' that don't need to be improved upon...like a true dry sump lubrication system.....
Old 10-10-2009, 04:41 PM
brannonspillars
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with all of you gentlemen, and would prefer paying even more for race-derived technology. Also, rather than more power, I would much prefer lighter weight. This would help acceleration and handling, as well as fuel economy. I don't care about saving fuel so much as I value efficiency. Weight reduction is much more expensive.

A race-derived Porsche turbo would be rare, expensive, and so much more desirable---something Porsche needs to emphasize more in the future or risk brand-dilution. Don't go the way of Mercedes!
Old 10-10-2009, 04:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Weight reduction in a 99x Turbo?
Not likely, given their 'GT class" curb weights today... we're not talking about a 73 RS here.

Under the leadership of the evil Dr W. , marketing reigned supreme. Engineering took a back seat at all times. Marketing studied the 'new' Porsche demographic and learned that most people wouldn't know a dry sump if it fell on their foot, let alone could identify the 911 variants thru the years (re: Cayenne and Panamera demographic).
Similarly, the Motorsports group was simply allowed to exist, no real development/expenditures (outside of a nice new building...that helps on track)....again, the new demographic wouldn't know a LeMans winning GT1 if it was parked in their parking spot.

The M64's days were numbered under the evil Dr. W and we're just now seeing it thru. That's OK, I can still walk out into the garage and look at an M64 and wooden floorboards and 'remember when'.....
Old 10-10-2009, 04:49 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by brannonspillars
I agree with all of you gentlemen, and would prefer paying even more for race-derived technology. Also, rather than more power, I would much prefer lighter weight. This would help acceleration and handling, as well as fuel economy. I don't care about saving fuel so much as I value efficiency. Weight reduction is much more expensive.!
Enjoy your new Ferrari FXX ....
Old 10-18-2009, 06:32 PM
inactiveuser1
Burning Brakes

More about the 2010 TT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2HeVXQTJx8&feature=fvsr
Old 10-20-2009, 02:22 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Doug the 9A1 motor is not a boxer motor. I dont know where you got that. I have the new motor and its fabulous. Stonger than the 993TT I had and the 996 GT3 I had.
You better start mixing up some kool aid bra.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:39 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Doug the 9A1 motor is not a boxer motor.
I thought a flat (six) layout was termed a 'boxer' engine, simply due to configuration.

They haven't gone and put a V8 in the back, have they?
Old 10-21-2009, 12:00 AM
hansw
Advanced

If I remember correctly from my early Porsche education in the seventies, flat, opposed engine is not necessarily a boxer configuration. In a boxer, opposing pistons simultaneously run toward bottom and top dead ends, i.e. they rush apart toward top end and rush toward each other to bottom dead end. This motion causes pressure waves in the crankcase and reduces possible power output. The Porsche 6 cylinder engines don't operate this way.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:29 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

So I cant spell Boxster? I am an engineer with 170+ college credit for which 3 were in English. Aycronym is my first language English is my 2nd language.

Quick Reply: 9A1 Turbo engine