Sponsored by:

Finally ready to buy 997TT appreciate forum expertise

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Finally ready to buy 997TT appreciate forum expertise

I'm finally ready to buy a used 997TT (I've waited a long time for this!) - I'm not in a great hurry, and will try to be patient until the right car comes along. I'd like to use some of your fantastic collective expertise in identifying the right car if you don't mind sharing your opinions. I figure I will begin looking now, and hopefully something will turn up in the next month or two. I also don't think prices will be rising, and may fall even further when the 2010 TT is unveiled at the Frankfurt Auto Show, so I guess time is on my side.

I think my must-haves are:
manual transmission
sport-chrono
adaptive sport seats
outside color - any of the blues or silvers
inside color - pretty much anything except natural brown

Nice to haves: (but certainly not necessary)
LSD
PCCB
CPO car

I wouldn't mind buying a car that already has upgraded wheels and exhaust and possibly springs, but do any of these modifications void the original warrant? I won't buy a car that is not under the original manufacturer's warranty or CPO warranty.

So hopefully I can run some potential candidates by you guys from time to time to see what you think. That being said, I have two possible candidates that might be interesting:

A 2007 CPO car at Isringhausen Imports in Springfield, IL, with the following description:
Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned Warranty, GT Silver Metallic With Black Full Leather, Heated Seats, Adaptive Sport Seats, Rear Window Wiper, Chrono Package Plus, 6-disc CD Changer, Carbon Package, Painted Spoiler Lip, Painted Rear Apron, Painted Rocker Panels
Asking price is $94,900 and mileage is 6,955.

What do you think a reasonable offer on this car might be?

Thanks very much!

Andy
Old 08-30-2009, 07:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheholic
I'm finally ready to buy a used 997TT (I've waited a long time for this!) - I'm not in a great hurry, and will try to be patient until the right car comes along. I'd like to use some of your fantastic collective expertise in identifying the right car if you don't mind sharing your opinions. I figure I will begin looking now, and hopefully something will turn up in the next month or two. I also don't think prices will be rising, and may fall even further when the 2010 TT is unveiled at the Frankfurt Auto Show, so I guess time is on my side.

I think my must-haves are:
manual transmission
sport-chrono
adaptive sport seats
outside color - any of the blues or silvers
inside color - pretty much anything except natural brown

Nice to haves: (but certainly not necessary)
LSD
PCCB
CPO car

I wouldn't mind buying a car that already has upgraded wheels and exhaust and possibly springs, but do any of these modifications void the original warrant? I won't buy a car that is not under the original manufacturer's warranty or CPO warranty.

So hopefully I can run some potential candidates by you guys from time to time to see what you think. That being said, I have two possible candidates that might be interesting:

A 2007 CPO car at Isringhausen Imports in Springfield, IL, with the following description:
Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned Warranty, GT Silver Metallic With Black Full Leather, Heated Seats, Adaptive Sport Seats, Rear Window Wiper, Chrono Package Plus, 6-disc CD Changer, Carbon Package, Painted Spoiler Lip, Painted Rear Apron, Painted Rocker Panels
Asking price is $94,900 and mileage is 6,955.

What do you think a reasonable offer on this car might be?

Thanks very much!

Andy
October issue of Excellence mag has Market Update for Turbos. Suggest you look there. Several of the UK published Porsche mags run Turbo buying guides. Prices over there won't apply here but the things to check for etc do.

Check out back issues of Total 911, 911 & Porsche and GT Porsche mags for the latest back issue with a 997 Turbo buyers guide.

911 & Porsche August 2009 issue has 997 Turbo drive article. Total 911 ran a 3 part story on PCCB brakes and their problems and updates on what's been improved. I'd recommed those 3 back issues if you're thinking about PCCB at all. Starts with issue 48.

Total 911 has special mag out: Porsche 911 Celebration of a Legend that covers the 997 Turbo in one or two articles.

Personally I'd opt for a factory stock car. No track time. Would like to see at least yearly oil/filter services. With under 7K miles though engine could be on original oil/filter. Figure an oil/filter service due, at least.

Brake fluid service could be due. I'd budget for one. Check tire wear and if uneven figure possibly new tires and of course an alignment.

CPO is nice. My 03 996 Turbo came with 2 year, 100K mile CPO and it does provide peace of mind. (Car had 9500 miles so its a bit "new" yet and something serious could still pop up.)

A 2007 for $95K seems high to me... although I just checked my issue of October Excellence and $97K is listed as market price a 2007 in excellent condition.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Thanks Macster - great suggestions!
Old 08-30-2009, 11:52 PM
buzz737
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andy --

I bid $85K two-three weeks ago on that car, knowing it was too low but I'm in the 'wait and see' mode.....thinking prices will come down this winter to my range, even for low mileage examples like this. I spoke with Luke Isringhausen (son of the owner?).....he wouldn't go that low but was very open to discussing price and features, so don't hesitate to call him (he called back 3 times encouraging me to raise the bid, but he did not make a counter-offer). I think it will take $89-91K on this one for them to pull the trigger, but you can see. A couple of points....it is a 2-owner car, first in NY state, then St Louis....that didn't bother me as long as it is CPO with warranty (check the free Carfax report on the Autotrader.com ad). It has a TechArt exhaust installed....they generally get high marks (check the forums), although a few reviewers say they may have a bit of a 'raspy' note to some people....there will always be some critics, but I thought it would be a good exhaust, a touch louder than stock, which is probably good....you can do your own research on that and see if you like them. It also has the 'carbon package' including the steering wheel, and I just happen to prefer a leather steering wheel....not a show-stopper, just my personal preference which kept me from being a more aggressive bidder on this particular car. The ad says it has a painted front spoiler, but actually that one was scratched and it was replaced with a new one (standard black one) as you can see in the pictures, which is a better as far as I am concerned, since they seem to have to be replaced on a regular basis depending on the geometry of driveways you have, etc. I've been watching the ads and these forums for a couple of years, and Isringhausen appears to offer good cars at reasonable prices, so I don't think you could go too far wrong on this one....just my two cents worth.......good luck on the car hunt.

Buzz
Old 08-31-2009, 03:45 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I bought a new 09 early this year. I am not disappointed with the 2010 specs and no remorse that I didn't wait. Yes, I probably should have bought a used 07-09, but I am very happy. I think it is a GREAT time to buy an 07-09 TT; no market info (I don't really want to look) but I am sure you can scout some fantastic deals in this market!
Old 08-31-2009, 01:06 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Just a comment so I can keep with this thread as I plan to start shopping soon.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:15 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The great conundrum, do you buy new or used? I had it in my head that I wanted used by my better half said go ahead and buy new so you can get 'er the way you want 'er. The argument of course is you can save about $40k buying used but the odds of you getting the car specced out the way you want it is darn near impossible. There will always be some little compromise.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:05 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
The great conundrum, do you buy new or used? I had it in my head that I wanted used by my better half said go ahead and buy new so you can get 'er the way you want 'er. The argument of course is you can save about $40k buying used but the odds of you getting the car specced out the way you want it is darn near impossible. There will always be some little compromise.
"Near impossible" is right, but not impossible. I found mine spec'd pretty much the way I would have done it from the factory, right down to the Guards Red seatbelts.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:58 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Thanks for all the comments, they are very helpful and I appreciate all the feedback, seriously!

The new/used conundrum is not an issue for me, since I don't want to spend more than $100,000 on a car, so I'm happy to find a compromise that I can live with.

I found another Florida car that looks interesting, with some upgrades:

Description: sport chrono package,adaptive sport seats,illuminated stainless steel door sills,3m invisible bra (full front end) plus headlights,foglights,and turn signals.h&r springs,a.w.e. stainless steel exhaust,marion mr3 forged wheels w/matte black centers 20 x 12,20 x 8.5 w/michelin pilot sport 2 325/25/20 and 245/30/20.includes factory wheels/tires with only 800 miles,factory exhaust,factory springs,and passport 8500 radar detector. russell @ 407 970 6670 Always garaged, Must see, No accidents, Non-smoker, One owner, Well maintained.

What do you think about these upgrades? The owner states that they only void the warranty for those parts that were replaced, not the rest of the car. Is this in fact the case?

Asking price is $99,500.

Thanks,

Andy
Old 09-01-2009, 12:06 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 137 Posts

In general, the dealer cannot void a warranty based on mods unless that mod was directly responsible for the warranty issue. (read up on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act). That being said, they may and would likely succeed in blaming a mod to a completely unrelated issue.
Mufflers and aftermarket wheels are, in general, warranty-safe mods.

How many miles on this one?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

It's possible to find what you want at a price you're willing to pay. I wanted Cobalt Blue and eventually found a 07 last January with 900 miles. I paid what I thought at the time was a good price but since January the prices have continued to plummet. It's a great car and there are lots of them out in the market. Good luck finding the one you want.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:37 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porscheholic
Thanks for all the comments, they are very helpful and I appreciate all the feedback, seriously!

The new/used conundrum is not an issue for me, since I don't want to spend more than $100,000 on a car, so I'm happy to find a compromise that I can live with.

I found another Florida car that looks interesting, with some upgrades:

Description: sport chrono package,adaptive sport seats,illuminated stainless steel door sills,3m invisible bra (full front end) plus headlights,foglights,and turn signals.h&r springs,a.w.e. stainless steel exhaust,marion mr3 forged wheels w/matte black centers 20 x 12,20 x 8.5 w/michelin pilot sport 2 325/25/20 and 245/30/20.includes factory wheels/tires with only 800 miles,factory exhaust,factory springs,and passport 8500 radar detector. russell @ 407 970 6670 Always garaged, Must see, No accidents, Non-smoker, One owner, Well maintained.

What do you think about these upgrades? The owner states that they only void the warranty for those parts that were replaced, not the rest of the car. Is this in fact the case?

Asking price is $99,500.

Thanks,

Andy
hi andy. the 07 is overpriced. i would say about $10,000 less. i don't have to tell you that the turbo resell market is very very soft. of course the dealer is inviting the other gentleman to bid more. the florida car sounds nice, but what year is it? i am sure that with a small bit of research in this market, you could get a real nice low mileage car for a good price.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

The Florida car is an '07 with 5,500 miles. Yes, I agree, the Isringhausen '07 was about $10K over what I would have paid for the car. I did call them and it looks like they've sold that car.

Fortunately, I am not in a big hurry. I think come October with the cold weather starting and a slew of '07s coming off leases the prices will be softer.

I agree with the comments above - I will find the perfect car for me at a price that I think is fair to both buyer and seller. I'm not a big fan of trying to get the absolute lowest price - if I find exactly what I want I'm willing to pay a reasonable premium over market.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:14 PM
One of Twenty
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
October issue of Excellence mag has Market Update for Turbos. Suggest you look there.
Sincerely,

Macster.
I've historically found the market updates in Excellence to be dubious at best.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:05 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by One of Twenty
I've historically found the market updates in Excellence to be dubious at best.
you are 100% correct-they are frequently way too high

Quick Reply: Finally ready to buy 997TT appreciate forum expertise