Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally ready to buy 997TT appreciate forum expertise

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:51 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats!! Based on weather I would stick to the southern route. Plug kit and radar detector are great ideas. Also consider a hands free device and maybe an ipod cause thats a lot of cds Dude!
Old 10-14-2009, 12:01 AM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, of course, I forgot - definitely packing the Valentine One!
Old 10-14-2009, 01:25 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Even I-40 may not be clear. I've run into snow/ice across I-40 several times at various times of the year. Best to check weather conditions before you commit. I watch the Weather channel a lot when traveling where the weather can turn bad.

If you run into bad weather do not wait but get off the freeway and get a room. Or turn around, or if you have good info head south or north out of the storm.

I got trapped big time in Shamrock a winter ago in my 06 GTO. Ice so bad on I-40 when I lifted off of the gas the rear tires broke loose from engine braking. Managed to jump off exit past Shamrock and take frontage road back to town and get one of the last rooms in town. In Texas on the freeways the road crews feel that since God put the snow/ice on the road he can take it off. They won't lift a hand.

Next day freeway still bad but town streets plowed and sanded/salted and I was able to get around. Just a mile south and highway looked pretty good. Talked to truck driver over my hand held CB and he told me roads clear just another mile or so further south.

Went back to motel and checked out and headed south. Sure enough in just a few miles roads clear and dry. Still slick in patches -- "shady" areas from trees even with no leaves -- but managed to get south and then turn west and run back up and catch I-40 just east of Amarillo. Freeway clear there.

Another time got caught for 2 days in Williams AZ in my Boxster. So slick I couldn't get move car around motel parking lot.

Even I-20 or I-10 not always completely clear sailing. Never got trapped but had some white knuckle scares navigating Texas Canyon on I-40 near Benson AZ. Icy up there. Even ran into snow on Grapevine going south on I-5 one winter.

If you head south, watch night time speed through Texas. 65mph and it is strictly enforced.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:24 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Awesome news! Congrats on the purchase. I just bought a 2009 C2S and would love to do a long road trip. I'm jealous. Please post pics of the journey. How many days will it take you?
Old 10-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Thanks for the tips, guys!

I'm tracking the forecasts on weather.com - it now looks like I'll have pretty crappy weather in NJ and PA on Friday, but I think I can get to Wheeling, WV, by Friday night (looks like mostly rain). Saturday I only need to get to Cincinnati, and the weather looks passable. From there it now looks like my northern route will actually be OK (Nebraska, Wyoming, into Ogden, Utah).

I plan to make it to Ogden by Tuesday night, and will spend a few days with friends before heading back to California by the end of next week. I can certainly slow down my schedule if necessary (I'm taking my laptop so can answer work emails in a pinch).

I will definitely have a writeup and photos of my trip when I get back home. This is a once-in-a-lifetime event for me, so I want to somehow have something to remember it by, and photos do that pretty well.

I am so excited looking forward to my flight to NYC tomorrow I can't stand it! I keep running over and over in my mind what Friday morning is going to feel like, when I walk into the dealership and see my car for the first time. I need to keep pinching myself. Maybe the weather Gods will be with me and the clouds will part on Friday morning and the sun will shine for my first drive.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Thanks for the tips, guys!

I'm tracking the forecasts on weather.com - it now looks like I'll have pretty crappy weather in NJ and PA on Friday, but I think I can get to Wheeling, WV, by Friday night (looks like mostly rain). Saturday I only need to get to Cincinnati, and the weather looks passable. From there it now looks like my northern route will actually be OK (Nebraska, Wyoming, into Ogden, Utah).

I plan to make it to Ogden by Tuesday night, and will spend a few days with friends before heading back to California by the end of next week. I can certainly slow down my schedule if necessary (I'm taking my laptop so can answer work emails in a pinch).

I will definitely have a writeup and photos of my trip when I get back home. This is a once-in-a-lifetime event for me, so I want to somehow have something to remember it by, and photos do that pretty well.

I am so excited looking forward to my flight to NYC tomorrow I can't stand it! I keep running over and over in my mind what Friday morning is going to feel like, when I walk into the dealership and see my car for the first time. I need to keep pinching myself. Maybe the weather Gods will be with me and the clouds will part on Friday morning and the sun will shine for my first drive.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:26 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Which dealership?
I'm in the city daily, I'll buy you a cafe latte for the road!
Old 10-21-2009, 02:34 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Sorry guys, haven't checked emails since I hit the road last Thursday. I'm currently at a friend's home in Ogden, Utah, and will make the last leg home to California on Friday. I left Bernardsville, NJ (about 50 miles west of NYC) around noon last Friday. I arrived in Ogden yesterday afternoon. So far I've covered 2,377 miles and hit every kind of weather, including plenty of snow (in PA last Friday and over the mountains in Utah yesterday). I have a small chip in the front windshield where a rock from a truck hit me on the interstate in Indiana, and later that night driving through Missouri I smacked right into a skunk, so my cocoa leather interior is now a very special combination of fine leather with a hint of skunk! Not too bad once you get used to it!

Awesome car, awesome trip - full report with pics in a few days once I'm back home.

Thanks for the offer Chris - I would have taken you up on it if I had checked my emails!

Later,

Andy
Old 10-21-2009, 03:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheholic
Sorry guys, haven't checked emails since I hit the road last Thursday. I'm currently at a friend's home in Ogden, Utah, and will make the last leg home to California on Friday. I left Bernardsville, NJ (about 50 miles west of NYC) around noon last Friday. I arrived in Ogden yesterday afternoon. So far I've covered 2,377 miles and hit every kind of weather, including plenty of snow (in PA last Friday and over the mountains in Utah yesterday). I have a small chip in the front windshield where a rock from a truck hit me on the interstate in Indiana, and later that night driving through Missouri I smacked right into a skunk, so my cocoa leather interior is now a very special combination of fine leather with a hint of skunk! Not too bad once you get used to it!

Awesome car, awesome trip - full report with pics in a few days once I'm back home.

Thanks for the offer Chris - I would have taken you up on it if I had checked my emails!

Later,

Andy
If you haven't already done so, I'd advise you give the underside of the car a good wash/rinse at DIY car wash. Wash any skunk spray (or worse, like skunk guts) off of car.

Be sure nothing from impact ended up on painted surfaces of car topside either.

I've not hit a live skunk -- hit a live mule deer back in July with my 03 Turbo though -- but hit a few dead ones.

And even the dead ones can leave a nasty mess under the car. Stuff (use your imagination) splattered onto under body panels, suspension, even some goopy stuff on the rocker panels way down low just in front of the rear wheel openings.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Thanks for the tip Macster - I will do that once I get back home.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:06 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

95 for a 07 is high isnt it?
Old 10-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Porscheholic,
It sounds like you found a great car for a reasonable price. I took mine on a long road trip last May (NY to Birmingham) and found it to be comfortable and I never felt fatigued. The goods news is by the time you get home you will have a good feel for the car and it may be a bit more broken in. I found with mine, the MPG improves a lot after about 7k miles on the clock. I was getting 24+ at 80mph+. Utah is beautiful, enjoy the trip home, travel safe.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:46 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

OG, I think the price of $95 K is justified. I saw a 2007 TT at the Danbury dealership for$99 K. One thing I've seen with turbos as opposed to other 911s is they retain their value very well.

Jay
Old 10-22-2009, 11:10 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
Porscheholic,
It sounds like you found a great car for a reasonable price. I took mine on a long road trip last May (NY to Birmingham) and found it to be comfortable and I never felt fatigued. The goods news is by the time you get home you will have a good feel for the car and it may be a bit more broken in. I found with mine, the MPG improves a lot after about 7k miles on the clock. I was getting 24+ at 80mph+. Utah is beautiful, enjoy the trip home, travel safe.
Bob,
I made that exact trip last April to the porsche driving school, cool. Car was perfect.
OG,
The prices on really nice 07s are holding in that range esp with the gt1 dead. Mind you, we're not talking used car auction junk, but really nice examples of low mile cars. They had a similar blk on terracotta 07tt with 3k miles that went for 97k at the local p dealer last week. That car was in inventory less than 5 days. Good cars sell well and move quickly.
c
Old 10-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Chris,
Did you do the Masters Program? I did and it was fantastic, what a great experience. I also drove the tail of the dragon on the way down to Alabama through the Smoky Mtns of Tn and NC.
That's what these cars are all about!

Quick Reply: Finally ready to buy 997TT appreciate forum expertise