Sponsored by:

tip vs manual

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 06:45 PM
NYC123
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default tip vs manual

I have never even considered a tip p car would of never considered anything other than a 6 speed, it is part of the enjoyment of a 911. However, I came across a 2008 911 turbo coupe in gt silver that is equipped just how I like it and I could get a good deal being the 2009 models are hitting. The car is a tip but being I currently have a gt3 RS as well, I started thinking that maybe it would not be a terrible thing to try for a chance as a cruiser. Any thoughts from anybody that has owned a turbo in both manual and tip ? Thanks
Old 10-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 903 Likes on 543 Posts

I have driven both. Well, the Tip a whole lot more. It depends on your physical condition. I can't drive a stick any more due to a left knee problem. And it depends on where you do most of your driving. No fun any more rowing gears in the commute traffic.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:58 PM
OneManTX
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have driven, but not owned a 6-speed turbo. My turbo tip is my daily driver and I'm 100% certain I made the right choice. The daily traffic is so much less of a hassle.

Acceleration in the tip is still awesome, and there's lots of power and torque in any gear. I never feel like the car is "lugging." This is still a very fast and very fun car to drive!

I also used to be of the "a Porsche has to be a manual school," but I've changed. First, I also had an injury that made me start thinking about it in the fist place (rotator cuff). Second, I drove the tip turbo. Third would be the daily driver issue. My shoulder is a lot better now, but I would still get the tip if I were doing it all over and had no shoulder problems.

I have not driven a tip at the track, so can't comment on that.

Obviously, the thing to do is drive both, and decide what you like.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:26 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nothing wrong with a tip-just get a good deal, as when the pdk turbos hit in the next model year, it will really drive the price of a tip way down.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:29 PM
NYC123
Banned

Default tip turbo coupe

I agree it would have to be a good deal wince it is a left over 2008 and pdk is coming soon. So what would be a good deal or a great deal. How much profit does the dealer have in a turbo coupe 150k sticker (has ceramics)
Old 10-26-2008, 06:52 PM
OneManTX
Pro

The car is going to depreciate a lot by the time PDKs come out anyway, so unless you plan on selling it in a year, I'm not sure that's a big negative to a tip.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:02 PM
shawsan
Instructor

I faced the same decision as you regarding a Tiptronic 2007 TT, with beautiful techart body kit. I lusted after the car but eventually backed off bc. of the Tip. First off, several friends speculated I'd be bored with the Tip, saying they'd never buy an "automatic". To me, this sentiment conveyed there is considerable negative sentiment toward the tip in the "marketplace", something I would have to face if I bought, then sold the car. Second, they said I'd bore of the tip rapidly, especially compared to the F1 paddle shifting dual clutch in my Ferrari Challenge Stradale. Third, various reviewers of the new PDK clutch in the latest 2007 C2 have speculated the prior tip transmission will become an albatross on the current TT after the engaging PDK dual clutch system comes out on the next TT -- hopefully with paddle shifters instead of the dumb, heavily criticized buttons on the steering wheel. In the interim, I decided to get a 996 Ruf Rturbo, manual, and wait until the new TT with PDK comes out. Good luck in your decision.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:31 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

by the way, i don't know if the 08 that you are looking at is a new left over car. i also tried to pick up a leftover 08 before i got my 09, and i was amazed at how little the dealers were willing to give off of the leftover 08's, even up to 10 days ago. the best that i could get was about 5 grand off. i was amazed that in this market, with the new 09's here, that the dealers wouldn't sell the car for cost, to at least get rid of them. did you have better luck than i?
Old 10-26-2008, 09:03 PM
OneManTX
Pro

Originally Posted by docjackson1
by the way, i don't know if the 08 that you are looking at is a new left over car. i also tried to pick up a leftover 08 before i got my 09, and i was amazed at how little the dealers were willing to give off of the leftover 08's, even up to 10 days ago. the best that i could get was about 5 grand off. i was amazed that in this market, with the new 09's here, that the dealers wouldn't sell the car for cost, to at least get rid of them. did you have better luck than i?
That is about what I found, also.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:00 PM
NYC123
Banned

Default 08 tt tip

yes it is a new 2008 and yes I would be able to get much more than that off or I would not consider it I think more like 12-16k off
Old 10-27-2008, 11:13 AM
GMP - Matthew
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I don't own a Porsche but I have driven both a manual and tip 997TTs, and I have both a manual and a DSG car in my garage, so I think I can shed some light here.

Up until 3 weeks ago my wife and I both had manual in our cars. We had an R32 and still have our 07 GTI. Both cars were a joy to drive and neither one us really complained that both cars were manual. 3 weeks ago we traded the R32 in for an 09 Jetta GLI with DSG which is an automatic transmission with tiptronic option and comes with the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. I have to say driving her Jetta over the weekend is like taking a day off from work........ Needless to say it was nice having the
R32 but having one manual and one auto/tip/dsg whatever your looking at buying, is just as nice too...
Old 10-27-2008, 01:39 PM
RSA333
Racer

I think that that the 997 TT Tip gets a bum rap, even at the track...
Old 10-27-2008, 02:39 PM
turbonator
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Biggest difference

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum/461292-missed-shift-over-revved.html
Old 11-01-2008, 12:04 AM
Papa
Intermediate

I have an '07 TT with 6 speed. My wife has an '08 Carrera S with tiptronic. Had we purchased the tiptronic first, I seriously doubt we would have bought the TT. Admittedly the TT is a very superior car to the Carrera S in many respects but I find the tiptronic to be boring. The default is to start in 2nd unless you manually bring it down to 1st which is not a good downshift while moving or flooring it and having the transmission start in 2nd and quickly shift to 1st. The rocker switches are a joke and nearly impossible to shift while on a hard turn. The 6 speed with a quick shift kit is easy enough for a kid to drive.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:08 PM
turbojohn
Instructor

Originally Posted by NYC123
I have never even considered a tip p car would of never considered anything other than a 6 speed, it is part of the enjoyment of a 911. However, I came across a 2008 911 turbo coupe in gt silver that is equipped just how I like it and I could get a good deal being the 2009 models are hitting. The car is a tip but being I currently have a gt3 RS as well, I started thinking that maybe it would not be a terrible thing to try for a chance as a cruiser. Any thoughts from anybody that has owned a turbo in both manual and tip ? Thanks
Always liked manuals...a lot more fun to drive than auto. However with my turbo, the acceleration is so fastt, that first winds out too fast. Almost takes the fun out of a manual with the 6800 rpm cutoff. Second gear the same way, zip and you're at 70. Most of the time, one is caught off quard. With the GT3s 8000 rpm, that's different, one can hear the high rpm coming, but 6800 is nothing when it comes a sound for shift change. I'll go for the new clutchless manual if ever offered on the turbo.

Quick Reply: tip vs manual