Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating (GT-R N-ring)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008 | 10:03 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating (GT-R N-ring)

Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating

This testing seems to support Horst von Saurma's contention that the GT-R is capable of a 7:5x lap at best
Old 09-30-2008 | 10:53 AM
NITEALB
Instructor

i suspect that nissan will have to respond in some way to counter these claims... gonna get very interesting.
Old 09-30-2008 | 11:13 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Called out Nissan!
Old 09-30-2008 | 11:54 AM
87 944 C
Drifting

all i gotta say...if it's true, ouch!!

that's a nice lil bitch slap in nissan's face.

i've always wondered that to. the gtr weighs 3900lbs last i checked high power to low weight is best, where the 911 beats the gtr. you should ask any of the guys who own both if they feel if either one is outstandingly quicker.
Old 09-30-2008 | 12:37 PM
MistGt
Advanced

This is getting very interesting. As I have been saying for the past couple of months, I would really like to have a go against a new GTR on the streets. Every single test I have seen, the GTR beats the Turbo based on numbers. I have the same doubts as others, such as how a car with supposedly the same power with more weight can beat the 911. However, there are a few things worth noting when looking at any mag test or video you might see on YouTube.

First, the tracks that magazines use are usually smaller and tighter. So, if the 911 has a straight-line power advantage, it still wouldn't matter much if the GTR truly outhandles it. The N has that HUGE straight near the end, so the 911 could get a big advantage on the GTR if it has the better power-weight ratio.

Second, I am quite sure that NONE of the turbos tested that I have seen included the optional limited slip diff, which would probably help grip coming out of corners and perhaps overall handling on a tight track.

Third, after driving a new 911 S with PDK, I realized that the cars like the GTR with the auto-clutch manuals will have a hands-down advantage everytime right off the bat because the car will shift faster. Which, of course, helps translate into faster lap times.

I think the GTR is a sweet piece of machinery. I did finally see one driving down my local highway, and it looks very nice. It's not as exotic as the turbo and lacks its refinement, but as far as the numbers go it's hard to tell. I'd like to do a conservative and safe highway roll with one and see what happens.
Old 09-30-2008 | 11:02 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

I knew the numbers didn't add up, no way a 3800# car with the same hp is faster. Nissan you're BUSTED!
Old 10-02-2008 | 12:48 AM
jweslowski
Track Day

Nice to see Porsche answer the same questions we have all been having: How can a heavier car with similar power be so much faster? As I have suspected, it is not. I would also suspect the GT-R had its boost increased to dramatically improve the horsepower.

I am positive that MistGt is correct, none of the magazine test cars had the Limited Slip Differential option. I can say from experience that the LSD makes a big difference in the cornering capability of the 997 Turbo.
Old 10-02-2008 | 01:15 AM
StickShift964
Race Car

love it
Old 10-02-2008 | 02:09 AM
dustinr
Instructor

I just watched a video with Bruno Senna where he drives a 997 Turbo and the GT-R at the 5th Gear Track and although he rants and loves the Porsche he was half a second faster in the GT-R. Even he was suprised.
Old 10-02-2008 | 02:20 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

drove it and it has a heavy but taught feel to it. new car so couldn't abuse it yet the motor felt strong @ 3,500 rpm, turbos start pushing @ 3k. never thought it could be a contender to the 997tt .
Old 10-02-2008 | 02:03 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

its a street contender, i doubt a sustained track contender.
Old 10-05-2008 | 05:46 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Keep in mind Nissan could have been doing all kinds of "interesting" things. Crank the boost on the car for one. Lets not lie to ourselves, there is plenty of evidence that their bad cars are coming from the factory with 480hp at the crank. They're probably closer to mid 5's. Alternately using shaved street tires or r compounds. That could easily get that car into the 7:25 range. Also driver is a major factor here. A nissan test drive has a lot more seat time in their test car then one for porsche.

If Ring times are to be taken seriously by anyone. It seems to be getting as much credit now as quarter mile times, or 0-60, they really need to be done by one person who knows the track. Things like tires need to remain as equal as possible and the cars need to come out of a random selection from a manufactuers production. Similar amount of gas in the tank etc. A fully belly of gas versus a car running on nearly fumes can add or subtract 70-100 pounds depending on the size of the tank. Ring lap times almost need to be independanty verified.

I agree with what porsche is saying but at the same time nissan does keep turing in times on different venues different showes and all of them are rather amazing.
Old 01-19-2009 | 04:17 AM
turbolou
Instructor

Smile Too funny!

Hitler having a bad day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOAXJTTc__w
Old 01-22-2009 | 03:08 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

I'd like to see them race more than 1-3 laps. They love to measure cars performance over 1 lap. I think the p-car would toast this thing in an enduro.
Old 01-26-2009 | 12:21 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

drove an 09 last week that had 1,100 miles. owner wanted my impression compared to my turbo so he let me put my right foot to the floor from a stop to 103 mph (private straight road). no race or launch mode and in full auto. I didn't time the run but my butt meter registered a comparable pull to the pcar. what was unreal was the milli sec shifts, reminded me of riding a crotch rocket. this car makes more power then nissan wants to admit.

Quick Reply: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating (GT-R N-ring)