Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IPD Intake Plenum Installed - Dyno Results!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 08:55 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Leo997TT
I'm glad you guys are taking some of your important time to make sure I don't buy that product. I'm not getting it but I'm sure they get a lot of guys like me (I don't know much about Porsche Turbo or cars in general)

Leo,

I know that you just got your turbo and like me you're looking for every goodie to install on it.. I went down the same path and wasted a lot of money.

After you get the exaust the next GOOD mod is lowering springs. Depending on which brand you get it will lower your car 1 inch to 1/2 inch. The car will look better and handle better. If your still looking for performance you'll want to get a good Tune..There are lots of good ones out there. Do your research. You dont have to get a Softronic tune through Vivid. Dont let them tell you that.

Stay away from plenums, throtttle bodies, bigger Y pipes and headers. Big waste of cash. I know it's tempting but dont do it..

Bigger intercoolers can be good but... If you have the exhaust and a tune your car will be a beast and will have all the power you will need. If you still want to spend money take some track instruction, DE, Autocross events. Money much better spent.

Keep that old airbox around just in case you have issues with the Fabspeed unit.

Welcome to the forum!

Old 03-29-2013, 09:33 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Leo , these guys know what they are talking about, heed the advice. Me, I don't do anything other than maybe getting an EP exhaust. No tunes, wheels, audio upgrades.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:39 PM
Leo997TT
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Phillip,

I really apretiate your suggestion and I think you are 100/ right! I'm listening to all of you guys that's why I joined the forum because I know you guys have a lot of experience.

Thank you
Old 03-31-2013, 10:49 AM
drvik
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

phillipj,

Can you tell us more about why all those intake (and headers) components are a waste of time... I may have missed it but has anyone ever posted dyno results proving that those components failed to do anything or hurt performance?

Appreciate the words of wisdom... the sales spiels are tempting to believe of course...

Cheers,

drvik
Old 03-31-2013, 01:08 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drvik
phillipj,

Can you tell us more about why all those intake (and headers) components are a waste of time... I may have missed it but has anyone ever posted dyno results proving that those components failed to do anything or hurt performance?

Appreciate the words of wisdom... the sales spiels are tempting to believe of course...

Cheers,

drvik
A better question is "has anyone independently confirmed with a dyno that any of these mods actually add performance gains?"

In fact most of the vendor claims aren't backed by any real data.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:25 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by drvik
phillipj,

Cheers,

drvik
The problem lies in trying to improve a system that is already designed incredibly well. Although in theory a larger plenum, TB and Y pipe would increase air flow and hence increase HP. But it's not that simple.. Each component has to work together along with the ECU which need hundreds of hours of testing to perfect. Do you really think some little machine shop that make plenums have the same resources for R & D that Porsche does?

The problem with aftermarket parts is that they are engineered poorly, fit poorly and have very few hours of testing to back up any performance gains. No matter what they say.

They just throw numbers around like "15 hp and 20 lbs of torque". "Our dyno tests show.." What dyno tests? Under what conditions? With what fuel? I had all that Vivid "agency"crap on my car. As well as the IPD stuff. I has so many problems with the poor fitment and other issues that I took it all of and went back to stock. At that point I realized that if there were any performance gains they were so miniscule that I noticed really no difference going back to the stock set up. I felt like an idiot.

Now headers are not a waster of time but...For $5k are headers worth a few hp? You can port and polish your stock manifolds and get great results.

The stock air box is very difficult to improve upon. If you notice the 2011 GT2 RS runs the same box as the 997-1 and 997-2 TT (although the cover is CF.) If the creators of the GT2 RS at Porsche could have improved upon the intake they would have.. They had the budget.

That's my 2 cents.. I f you want more performance run better gas. Give these cars a tune and good exhaust and they are awesome. If you really want more you'll have to upgrade the Turbos and IC's. Which is another slippery slope.

I have friend that is building a 1000 hp 997 TT that will run on pure E 85. We'll see how that turns out... For me I'll stick with the trouble free 550hp I have.

I hope this helps.. Just my experience and opinion.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:32 AM
Leo997TT
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipj
I'll stick with the trouble free 550hp I have.

What did you do to your car?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:38 PM
phillipj
Drifting

All I have is the Protomotive (race gas) tune and a Techart exhaust. I also lowered the car with H & R springs and put 15mm spacers on the rear.

At one point I had the plenum, GT3 TB and larger Y pipe. Took it all off and went back to stock.

I also had on the Evoms BRV valves, Took those off too. Might put them back on though.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:34 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipj
The problem lies in trying to improve a system that is already designed incredibly well. Although in theory a larger plenum, TB and Y pipe would increase air flow and hence increase HP. But it's not that simple.. Each component has to work together along with the ECU which need hundreds of hours of testing to perfect. Do you really think some little machine shop that make plenums have the same resources for R & D that Porsche does?

The problem with aftermarket parts is that they are engineered poorly, fit poorly and have very few hours of testing to back up any performance gains. No matter what they say.

They just throw numbers around like "15 hp and 20 lbs of torque". "Our dyno tests show.." What dyno tests? Under what conditions? With what fuel? I had all that Vivid "agency"crap on my car. As well as the IPD stuff. I has so many problems with the poor fitment and other issues that I took it all of and went back to stock. At that point I realized that if there were any performance gains they were so miniscule that I noticed really no difference going back to the stock set up. I felt like an idiot.

Now headers are not a waster of time but...For $5k are headers worth a few hp? You can port and polish your stock manifolds and get great results.

The stock air box is very difficult to improve upon. If you notice the 2011 GT2 RS runs the same box as the 997-1 and 997-2 TT (although the cover is CF.) If the creators of the GT2 RS at Porsche could have improved upon the intake they would have.. They had the budget.

That's my 2 cents.. I f you want more performance run better gas. Give these cars a tune and good exhaust and they are awesome. If you really want more you'll have to upgrade the Turbos and IC's. Which is another slippery slope.

I have friend that is building a 1000 hp 997 TT that will run on pure E 85. We'll see how that turns out... For me I'll stick with the trouble free 550hp I have.

Agree 100%
You can't really 'mod' it better than stock, personalization, yes.
I think an exhaust n tune and minor suspension mods for adjustability are really all you need.
Don't get sucked in by all this bs. I'd stick with a known tuner like fvd and their 555hp level 2 package...hmmm!
Old 12-14-2013, 03:15 AM
wyo997
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got through testing and evaluating the IPD dimpled plenum and y-pipe on my 2011 911 Turbo S: Improved hp, torque and 2mpg better mileage. No question, road and track improvements.
The y-pipe was the biggest surprise: total improvements at low-end of throttle- up to 30mph. Shocking change that made me warn valet parking to "watch it."
Old 12-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 6 Posts
Default IPD

I don't know how to re-post but someone here challenged IPD data. They ended up buying it after IPD put one on a Dyno with exact same circumstances b4 and after and gained a lot of Hp. Not hype at all about their plenum.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:53 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^I read that thread on 6speed. Don't know what too believe. . As a engineer I understand their design improvements promote laminar flow by reducing turbulence in the "plumbing", but the power gains with just the plenum seem almost too good to believe

Quick Reply: IPD Intake Plenum Installed - Dyno Results!