Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IPD Intake Plenum Installed - Dyno Results!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 01:14 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPD Intake Plenum Installed - Dyno Results!

There is alot of controversy and talks about the IPD intake plenum kits for the different Porsche models. RSS the distributor of IPD Plenums has gone so far to dyno test some of these units to prove the claims they state. Knowing the ability Vivid Racing has to gain traction for products, RSS hooked up with us to add a IPD Intake Plenum to our Project 997 Turbo.

Having used the intake plenum in our previous Porsche 996 Turbo project, we were familiar with the butt dyno results the IPD unit gave. Because of the stage of our 996TT, we were not able to get a good before and after test on this unit. However with our 997 Turbo, we aim to show the quality, power, and reason why every 997 Turbo will benefit from using the plenum.

The first process is to install this unit in the car. Though it looks challenging because you have NO room to move, it actually took our technician only 2 hours to do the complete swap. All you have to do is remove the factory Y-Pipe and then access the stock plenum. Because of the tight space, getting some of the vacuum lines off is the only difficult part. You can see in the side by side shot how the stock plenum is a T Shape. The IPD is in the form of a Y which helps improve air flow efficiency. When the air flow is directed in a more efficient manner, this will help reduce turbulence and improve your power. One thing we decided to change out was the factory black ridged rubber pipe that connects the throttle body to the Y-Pipe. We took one of our Agency Power silicone reducers and swapped it out. This part has a smooth internal surface to keep air flow as optimal as it could be.

Once everything was back together we fired up the car and checked for leaks and CEL's. Install was perfect! Driving the car around the streets you can immediately notice some of the turbo lag reduced because of the improved air flow efficiency. Being that our car is already flashed with Softronic and has the JIC exhaust and Agency Power headers, it already moves well! But the IPD plenum did add to the mid range like they describe.

Stay tuned for the dyno results we will post up tomorrow!!!

Enjoy all the installation pictures here - http://www.vividracing.com/forums/ga...ages.php?c=342

Old 09-12-2012, 12:54 PM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Were dyno results ever done? I can't seem to find any install of the plenum that follows up with actual dyno results.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:35 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

IPD may make a decent product but I don't believe ANYTHING Vivid says. Don't even get me started..

That "Agency" coupling hose from the Y pipe to the throttle body is an absolute joke. Take a close look at it.... Ask me how I know.. You have been warned about this poorly engimeered, overpriced garbage from Vivid.. It's an insult to Porsche engineers..

This is an old post but they still sell this stuff...
Old 03-28-2013, 03:45 AM
Leo997TT
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you guys think i should get the OEM Porsche 82mm 997 GT3 throttle body and the IPD Plenums for my 997TT? Would i get the engine light on? it's gonna make my car more powerful?
Old 03-28-2013, 04:37 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts

Do a search for the 997GT2 intake. Then look at the actual diameter of the intake piping and throttle-body..

More gains will be had with a free flowing exhaust system and tuning.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:09 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by evolvedaz
There is alot of controversy and talks about the IPD intake plenum kits for the different Porsche models. RSS the distributor of IPD Plenums has gone so far to dyno test some of these units to prove the claims they state. Knowing the ability Vivid Racing has to gain traction for products, RSS hooked up with us to add a IPD Intake Plenum to our Project 997 Turbo.

Having used the intake plenum in our previous Porsche 996 Turbo project, we were familiar with the butt dyno results the IPD unit gave. Because of the stage of our 996TT, we were not able to get a good before and after test on this unit. However with our 997 Turbo, we aim to show the quality, power, and reason why every 997 Turbo will benefit from using the plenum.

The first process is to install this unit in the car. Though it looks challenging because you have NO room to move, it actually took our technician only 2 hours to do the complete swap. All you have to do is remove the factory Y-Pipe and then access the stock plenum. Because of the tight space, getting some of the vacuum lines off is the only difficult part. You can see in the side by side shot how the stock plenum is a T Shape. The IPD is in the form of a Y which helps improve air flow efficiency. When the air flow is directed in a more efficient manner, this will help reduce turbulence and improve your power. One thing we decided to change out was the factory black ridged rubber pipe that connects the throttle body to the Y-Pipe. We took one of our Agency Power silicone reducers and swapped it out. This part has a smooth internal surface to keep air flow as optimal as it could be.

Once everything was back together we fired up the car and checked for leaks and CEL's. Install was perfect! Driving the car around the streets you can immediately notice some of the turbo lag reduced because of the improved air flow efficiency. Being that our car is already flashed with Softronic and has the JIC exhaust and Agency Power headers, it already moves well! But the IPD plenum did add to the mid range like they describe.

Stay tuned for the dyno results we will post up tomorrow!!!
What utter crap. Which is it now? The reduced turbo lag or the extra power midrange? I've had one of these on my last car and it did absolutely nothing.....well certainly nothing i could feel anyway. Oh hang on...my wallet felt it. You see you can put up all the fancy graphs, spruik all the BS you want, but bottom line the butt dyno can't feel a damn thing and you know it. So what good is it? Maybe if you took all that agency shower crap off then you will feel an improvement. Now that's something thats at least be believable. Agency shower??? LOL!...get outta here....you must think every one is a stupid sucker.

Originally Posted by Leo997TT
Do you guys think i should get the OEM Porsche 82mm 997 GT3 throttle body and the IPD Plenums for my 997TT? Would i get the engine light on? it's gonna make my car more powerful?
Leo you must have money to burn. With the greatest respect to you if i were you I'd honestly start with getting rid of that awful air intake asap and accept you've just toasted 850.00. I don't care what you've been told about the air filtration efficiency of those two cones because fact is they are having to contend with the dirtiest air path possible in this car. Just take a look at an air flow chart around a car as it passes through the air then you will begin to understand why Porsche has their intake breathing via the engine lid venting... which is the cleanest air path on this car given the position of the air-box in the rear end. The particulate whipped up around the the rear up through the engine bay is a dustball of pure air borne particulate. Good luck engine.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:03 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Leo take the advice of the guys here like Phillip, Paul (speed) et al, they know from experience. I was in your shoes about 6 months ago with my new-to-me 997.1 turbo and the forums were invaluable in terms of honest feedback on many of these mods and will save you tons of money and future headaches

keep asking questions, but as you read more historical posts you'll come to realize 90% of the aftermarket stuff is crap. a good exhaust and tune is pretty much all you need to unleash the potential of your turbo.

good luck!
Old 03-28-2013, 01:41 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Well said my friend.. Just seeing this post from those scumbags gets my blood pressure boiling
Old 03-28-2013, 01:51 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Do it you'll get to 615hp, just keep in mind you'll need to put bags of ice on your intercoolers, you'll need 200 octane, and all the planets need to align.

That slicone reducer looks like a beer cozy, I have several.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:38 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

funny thing is it's been 4 1/2 years and they never posted dyno results on this thread. How do you start a thread with "DYNO RESULTS" in the title and never ever follow up with the actual dyno sheet. the silence speaks volumes regarding this part
Old 03-28-2013, 03:34 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by aa909
funny thing is it's been 4 1/2 years and they never posted dyno results on this thread. How do you start a thread with "DYNO RESULTS" in the title and never ever follow up with the actual dyno sheet. the silence speaks volumes regarding this part
Dyno results posted on Vivid's web site - not hard to find.

http://www.vividracing.com/blog/proj...intake-plenum/
Old 03-28-2013, 09:04 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Whatever they say has no merit.. They don't get more slimy than Malmerstein. They doctor everything they do. Even their reviews. Their data is pointless. They are the worst of the worst. But if you like to liiter your garage with worthless garbage they are a great place to buy from..
Old 03-28-2013, 11:46 PM
Leo997TT
Banned

I'm glad you guys are taking some of your important time to make sure I don't buy that product. I'm not getting it but I'm sure they get a lot of guys like me (I don't know much about Porsche Turbo or cars in general)
Old 03-28-2013, 11:48 PM
Leo997TT
Banned

I already bought the Air intake from badspeed and I installed myself... I believe the car gain a littler power but it's hard to tell without the dyno but one thing is for sure I can hear the beautiful noise of the turbos... I hope the car is not taking all the hot air...
Old 03-29-2013, 06:51 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Leo997TT
I already bought the Air intake from badspeed and I installed myself... I believe the car gain a littler power but it's hard to tell without the dyno but one thing is for sure I can hear the beautiful noise of the turbos... I hope the car is not taking all the hot air...
and very dirty hot air.

....well i am so sorry to hear you got shafted truly. That sucks. I hate stories like this. 850 is a lot of money for something like that too. Damn.

Quick Reply: IPD Intake Plenum Installed - Dyno Results!