Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front license plate dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 08:33 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the mower axle mount with the plate on it mounted in my trunk.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:09 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They will definitely stop you in Bellaire TX, unless you're a local like me then it's a warning, otherwise a ticket for sure.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:23 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

2 tickets, won't even let you go thru the midtown tunnel w/o it anymore. The holes are no biggie.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:51 PM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

18 months with no plate. 1 plate ticket, but only because I was pulled over for speeding. I think a lack of plate provides a convenient excuse for the cop NOT to give you a speeding ticket, especially if you're nice to them.

$50 for the ticket. I take that anyday.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:41 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by maverick
I got pulled over coming back form Hondo Texas last month by a Texas by a State Trooper. His comment was “ I often pull over you boys in your fancy cars that don’t like running front plates” I asked him why some states didn’t require them, and he said “were smarter in Texas and those other states want to save money. Here in Texas we want to make sure we can ID a perp in the car so we want to see it coming and going”….I stopped short of pointing out if they were chasing a car they couldn’t see the front plate any way!!!! He just gave me a warning and told me to put the front plate on. Funny thing is I cant seem to find the drill bit at the moment!
For you Texans see below.

We have another opportunity to rid ourselves of this inconvenient and unsightly requirement for corvettes, F-bodies and other like-minded sport cars and vehicles next spring. We got close in the 2005 legislative session. The House sent a bill over to the Senate containing this and other provisions. The Senate subcommittee deleted this provision without comment from the bill they approved. Houston area Senator Kyle Janek was on that committee but I see he is retiring from the Senate. Copy and paste the address below into your web browser to sign the online petition. Over 18,000 have signed so far.

http://www.petitiononline.com/txplate/petition.html
Will do when I get home, thanks for the link.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:34 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Front plate on these cars doesn't look too bad, unlike other cars (current generation Vette comes to mind). Dealer asked if I wanted it on and I said to go ahead. Last thing I want is to get pulled over when I'm trying to get to work on time or in a rush to get somewhere else. Would prefer no plate but it's not a big deal to me.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:52 AM
Ms.Greta
Instructor

^^^ I think it looks horrible with front plates on these cars. I put one on my last C4S and regretted it. Did not put one on my Turbo and knock on wood, no ticket yet!
Old 06-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I put mine on in a position whereby it covers the center radiator opening. Keeps it low and don't have to drill into a painted bumper. Does the TT have a center radiator?
Old 06-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Papa
Intermediate

Somebody already beat me by saying we don't have front plates (the state calls them tags) in Florida but we also don't have a state income tax. Unfortunately, we have a lot of Northern snowbirds who drive in the left lane at 60 mph. Papa

2008 Carrera S - cab, tip - wife's car - default is 2nd gear in D - must be to keep EPA happy
2007 TT - 6 speed, etc. - chron pack - always starts in first and shifts at 7200 RPM except 6800 in sport
Old 06-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm going to get a vinyl copy of my plate made and put that on the front bumper edge... I got the idea from an F50 in Car magazine in the '90s.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:15 AM
Ms.Greta
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I'm going to get a vinyl copy of my plate made and put that on the front bumper edge... I got the idea from an F50 in Car magazine in the '90s.
^^^ That is a good idea. Can you post the information so we can order one?
Old 06-11-2008, 12:20 AM
jonoz
Instructor

Default vinyl plates

In Manitoba Canada, the vinyl plates are illegal....the gendarmes want you to mount the metallic reflective plates so their lidar cameras have a good aim site.
go figure!
j
Old 06-11-2008, 12:38 AM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
You're sure to get ticketed & fined for that in VA. That kind of thing may be legal in Europe, but in the USA it's a no no.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:52 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WalkerInTN
You're sure to get ticketed & fined for that in VA. That kind of thing may be legal in Europe, but in the USA it's a no no.
I'll take the chance. When I drilled holes in my Carrera S's bumper, it was a sad day in America... There is a place I found in Fresno a while back that does it, but I'm sure with the proliferation of vinyl shops, it could be done in a lot of places.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jonoz
hello from canada
my current problem is how to satisfy the local police as a front plate is the law...a fine and demerits is a possibility.
I really don't want to drill holes in the front....is there some sort of plate attachment to the front grill available?
thanks
2450km and counting.....
j
jonoz,
i have been filling the holes on my front bumper, and repositioning number plates for years.

on the 993, i unclipped the grill, pushed it back, and slipped the plate in.
the grill pushed forward and held it [rather snugly] in place.
http://www.qsm.com.au/wallpaper/993_2020_1920.jpg

on the 997, i used two L section stips of aluminium.
2 side taped them to the bumper, and then 2 sided taped the plate to them.
blindingly simple - works perfectly

worst case senario, stick the plate directly to the bumper with 2 sided tape.
...and if anyone says it wont hold ...they are dreaming
my boxster s had one stuck to it for 3 years, and 22000miles.....

Quick Reply: front license plate dilemma