Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

our 997 turbo is "dissapointing"...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 02:25 AM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default our 997 turbo is "dissapointing"...

...NOT! Love the damn car and to anyone who makes another thread about them hearing someone say that THEY heard something about the 911 turbo being boring and pedestrian should drive one first hand. I still find myself randomly grabbing the keys and going out on aimless drives.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:43 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ditto!
Be careful what you wish for, people complained about the numbness of the 996tt and it's awd platform with psm. Porsche answered with the 997tt, 500 hp, 95/5 (rear/front bias), less intrusive psm....now everyone bitches about how dangerous it is, can't win. The 997tt is a bitch at the track in a fast run group bone stock.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:06 PM
SciFrog
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The TT is a GREAT car. It is just that the competiton is closing in fast... Too fast...
Old 04-16-2008, 02:17 PM
cannga
Instructor

The competition is not only closing fast, it has surpassed the Turbo in some aspect: the superb GTR and Z06 have both passed better track times for example.

But... **TODAY** if I am going out to buy a car, it would still be the Turbo. Not Ferrari, not Aston Martin, not Audi, not Nissan. This is not because of some blind love for the brand--the car is not perfect I admit, but the fact is that, all things considered (and "all things" have been discussed ad nauseum on various forums), there is still no substitute and as of now the only thing that could beat a Porsche is another Porsche.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:59 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I just spent a 3 day weekend driving to the Texas hillcountry around Utopia. All told around 800 miles the longest time to date in the car. It is a dream to drive on the highway, heaps of power on tap no need to shift to pass and once off in the twisties its awesome. It has more power than I can safely use, not being named Schumacher, Stewart or Massa! The debate will always be there and yes somebody will always be 1/10th quicker or xHP more but what really matters is how you feel in your car. To quote a current commercial, When you turn your car on.... does it return the favor? Absodamnlutly!!
Old 04-16-2008, 04:01 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

i cant believe you just quoted a Cadiliac CTS commercial on a 911 turbo thread! Dont neglect that 964 now...those things are beauty's.

Chris, how does the center diff handle the transfer of power? F5/R95 bias sounds ridiculous...is that only under full traction and if it notices rear tire slippage it puts power forward?
Old 04-16-2008, 09:55 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes max traction conditions, via an extremely sophisticated electronic awd coupling system.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:11 PM
davecarson
Intermediate

As a former vette owner please do not compare a vette with a porsche let alone a turbo. porsche is just plain old solid in every way. vettes rattle and roll but not the porsche. it is so much more than speed, so please do not compare vettes with the ultimate car...the porsche.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:22 PM
cannga
Instructor

The secret to the Turbo is more than just power--as incredibly powerful as that engine is. The car has great visibility, a short & small front end that makes it feel unusually nimble and maneuverable in traffic for a world class sport car, a fairly high sitting position that doesn't make one feel he's sitting in a hole. These are some of the reasons that as great a technical achievement both the Corvette and Nissan may be, Turbo owners will remain Turbo owners. I always feel Porsche really did "luck out" on the form of the 911.

Now add on ungodly torque & power, sublime steering feel, timeless and classic look, the fun of modding and sharing with hundreds of other Porsche nuts, and one could understand that as imperfect as the car might be, it remains the benchmark.

As mentioned, biggest mistake anyone could make is to read reviews of the Turbo at the track, concentrates on "ring times," and concludes that the car is "flawed." One, the 911 form, i.e. all 911's including GT3, will almost NEVER get favorable comment against a mid engine car. Two, ring times cannot be the sole criteria on a car not designed to be a track car, or even "semi-track" car. If you think otherwise, look again at the slower ring time of the gorgeous F430 and tell me if you really think it can't be "good" because it did not achieve x:xx.

If someone finds himself with NON-buyer's remorse (you know the symptom--near 100% ratio of highly debatable negative posts), I would sincerely hope for his sake to get a test drive and right the wrong.

Originally Posted by davecarson
As a former vette owner please do not compare a vette with a porsche let alone a turbo. porsche is just plain old solid in every way. vettes rattle and roll but not the porsche. it is so much more than speed, so please do not compare vettes with the ultimate car...the porsche.

Last edited by cannga; 04-17-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:43 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the feel of the car. Now granted I don't have a turbo but...... Sold my AMG C55 which was faster compared to my 993. Would never trade back. There is nothing like driving a 911. The feel of the car is something you can't get in any other. There will always be something faster if that is your cup of tea. If speed is what you want then might as well buy a Subaru STi. You can make those fast for next to nothing. If speed is what you want. If a track car is what you want the go with a hopped up Lotus Elise. If all we do is compare track times then go with something other than a Vette (which may be faster around the track) but will be falling apart on you within a year. When ever I hear of a Vette being compared with the 911 turbo and saying it's supirior on the track I cringe. People forget what crap quality goes into these car. My dad had three and they were crap in terms of build quality. Just my .02 There is no substitute.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:13 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

I can safely use, not being named Schumacher, Stewart or Massa
Massa sucks and will be replaced at ferrari soon enough perhaps you could have used kimi or hamilton, that being said congrats on your ride
Old 04-17-2008, 08:06 PM
fer2367
Rennlist Member

Mel...you are so right about the feel of the car. The other day I had the chance to try a Dodge Viper Coupe with 600cv....I drove it for maybe 10 min. and return it back. It was scary fast, but it did nothing in terms of feeling. Only as a track toy would make sense, but the impression of quality was very poor. Not trying to put down the Viper, I am not a Porsche snob and I enjoy and appreciate all types of cars. But in addition to hp and speed, how the car feels it's more important
Old 04-22-2008, 07:47 AM
jweslowski
Track Day

You are right, the fell is the most important thing, not raw comparison numbers from magazines. 911s seem to have some magic all other cars are missing, with the possible exception of Ferrari. I need a daily driver though, and I can't imagine putting 20,000 miles a year on a Ferrari and driving it in the snow.

Also, regarding my earlier "disappointing" thread, I just wanted to get some actual owner opinions because the magazine articles seemed to be lacking a real understanding of the 997TT. Also, I wanted to confirm my theory that the lack of an LSD in the R&T comparison test could explain most of what they were complaining about.

If you go back to the 2006 Car and Driver comparison against the F430 and Z06, that car had the LSD and they didn't have too much negative to say about the TT's handling. They did say don't lift off mid corner (really, you think so?) but that seemed obvious.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:50 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

well I have the LSD, not sure how having it or not having it would affect my opinion since its a street car and doesnt get tracked.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:23 PM
jweslowski
Track Day

I don't think LSD makes any difference if the car is used on the street and PSM is not disabled. The think the active brake differential does a very good job mimicking a LSD for all but the most extreme track work. I will know more once I purchase my car and get in some track work.

Quick Reply: our 997 turbo is "dissapointing"...