Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Facelift 997TT's will have the m97!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 03:11 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assuming the m97 will not be able to handle much more horsepower reliably, then Porsche is making a mistake that many turbo buyers will notice in the future. Though most buyers will not care, there being certainly many folks who buy them for the image and as a luxury hot-rod and sell them in a year or two, increasingly the turbo is bought as a very hearty tunable platform. This is the trend, for a manufacturer to foresee and allow for extreme modifications, if that's what their customers want. I think Porsche it missing it on this -- if indeed that's what they will do. Maybe now is the time to buy a gt1 turbo. Interesting news, though. Very disappointing. I hope it turns out to be untrue.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 918 Likes on 555 Posts

Apple did the same with the first Mac: closed the box to upgrades. What, no slots?!
Now Porsche can bring some tuner $ in house.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:54 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not surprised at all, they have already done it with the standard 911 series. The vast majority of owners have no clue about the powertrain and never push the car close to the maximum capability. Do you think the cost savings will show up on the MSRP...NOT. They will charge the same or more. Sadly, most of the owners are not enthusiasts and flip the cars every few years anyway.This was a no brainer for WW.
That sound you just heard was the value of my dry sumped Turbo going up! I'll never sell this car.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:27 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

^Ditto
Old 01-01-2008, 07:23 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

This is doubtful to me. As you can see, the competition keeps inching up the necessary horsepower for supercar status. Right now, you need 500 hp to enter the game. In a few years the number will be higher. I doubt the cheaper engine will be the basis for a car that may need to hit the ground with more than 550hp. Ultimately, Porsche may need a brand new engine.
Funny that more people aren't demanding a better gearbox too. DSG is now routine, and 7 speeds in an automatic box is too. Hopefully, people like us will stop buying until Porsche gives us a really good reason to come up with big bucks. AS
Old 01-01-2008, 07:38 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
This is doubtful to me. As you can see, the competition keeps inching up the necessary horsepower for supercar status. Right now, you need 500 hp to enter the game. In a few years the number will be higher. I doubt the cheaper engine will be the basis for a car that may need to hit the ground with more than 550hp. Ultimately, Porsche may need a brand new engine.
Funny that more people aren't demanding a better gearbox too. DSG is now routine, and 7 speeds in an automatic box is too. Hopefully, people like us will stop buying until Porsche gives us a really good reason to come up with big bucks. AS
I think DSG still cannot handle the TQ.

I also have faith, though for no particular reason, that >5%of P owners are aware of the differences in engines.

But I could be wrong.

I think I'm just gonna get another TT Tip and declare victory. Too hard to keep up otherwise.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:47 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man you guys are snobs. Have you taken a poll to see this mythical 5%? Whatever.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is doubtful to me. As you can see, the competition keeps inching up the necessary horsepower for supercar status. Right now, you need 500 hp to enter the game.
In a few years the number will be higher. I doubt the cheaper engine will be the basis for a car that may need to hit the ground with more than 550hp. Ultimately, Porsche may need a brand new engine.
I would have to respectfully disagree.
Demographic studies have shown that people do NOT buy a "911 Turbo" for best in class HP nor torque. They simply buy the "911 Turbo" simply because it IS the "911 Turbo" and they are "long Porsche customers"....or as was previously mentioned "short term ownership/long term customers".

As mentioned earlier in this post, and IIRC by me quite some time ago, the DSG is still somewhat of a reliablilty question at the current TQ (and to a lesser extent HP) levels. PAG Marketing does NOT want a feature that will be a (potentially" negative income generator (due to warranty claims/issues), hence the delay until such can be proven otherwise by Engineering.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by texas911
Man you guys are snobs. Have you taken a poll to see this mythical 5%? Whatever.
It has already been done by PAG/PCNA
Old 01-01-2008, 08:22 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto

I think I'm just gonna get another TT Tip and declare victory. Too hard to keep up otherwise.
Herman are you coming full circle again?
Old 01-01-2008, 08:27 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

LTC and TT Surgeon,

is this more than a rumor? that's rather disappointing to hear that the TT moniker will now have a very different engine block
i guess GTx will be the next in line to have a new heart?
Old 01-01-2008, 08:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mooty
LTC and TT Surgeon,

is this more than a rumor? that's rather disappointing to hear that the TT moniker will now have a very different engine block
i guess GTx will be the next in line to have a new heart?
It has been discussed at PAG in the past. I personally do not know of a final decision, since the Panamera is #1 priority at the moment and is consuming lots of resources.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:19 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Car and Driver is going to make them look bad when they report this to the public. I'm sure Excellence is also going to give them a hard time.
I doubt C&D will know or give a s_ _t. Excellence might, but it won't matter.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:56 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eclou
Herman are you coming full circle again?
Well right now my DD is an Audi S6. And it's a great car,especially in inclement weather. Very smooth and tourquey...sort of. But nothing like a TT, I know a whole slew of cars are coming out gunning for the TT, but that just shows you how good it really is. Too expensive though so if I move it will be for a cherry lo miles vehicle.

I noted that you too are through with the GT-3 thing?

Old 01-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe we should all go down to our local Porsche dealer to make orders on 2008 turbos, and casually dig out the motor change info from the sales person, and then cancel our orders on the spot. Wonder if that would get Porsche's attention. Would if it happened in enough numbers.

Quick Reply: Facelift 997TT's will have the m97!!!