Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 04:51 PM
W211
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Finding out what's wrong with the iPod not charging

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
You should go ahead and update to 2.05.

The iPod should never charge when the car is off. In your statement above, that seems to be what you are looking for. Not a good idea. It should be in sleep mode, and charge only when the car is 'on'...

Is that what you are doing?
Ok, will update to 2.05. Thanks again Eric.

I understand from another member (Atomic80) that his iPod charges for a couple of hours until fully charged, even after he removed his key.

And so, yes, that was what I was looking for, as my iPod kept dying on me when I don't drive the car for a day. I thought there was a problem with the charging mechanism.

From your reply however, now I learn that the iPod should go into sleep mode and only charge when the ignition is on? As I understand the charging time is not a programmable option, which means my unit is actually functioning properly?

If so, perhaps it is the old iPod's weak battery at fault then. Can I go out and buy a new iPod 5G or should I wait for the software upgrade? Don't think I can easily find a 4G. Or should I wait for the new software update.

Thanks again for helping me to pinpoint the problem Eric.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:53 AM
atomic80
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, that's correct. Mine charges until it's complete even after I remove the key. I've never had my iPod go dead on me before. Eric, have you tried seeing if you can find a refurbished 4G? I actually bought mine refurbished because they're just as good as a new one for less.

Chris, did you ever try having yours moved to the front? Maybe that will get yours to finally work! Mine hasn't been giving me any problems since the day I got it installed. It's been working beautifully. I believe firmly that as long as you get it installed properly by a qualified professional who actually knows what he's doing then it'll work fine.

The Porsche solution is at best a stopgap measure that works through the radio which IMHO is was a poor move by Porsche. They should have spent a little more R&D and gotten a better integrated system. Right now, IMHO the Dension _IS_ the best solution IMHO simply because of the way it works beautifully within the PCM. Yeah, you'll hear me say that until I'm blue in the face simply because I love the way it works. I've driven down to California and back with the iPod playing and couldn't be happier.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:08 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

No, not yet, but it was installed by a pro that Eric recommended...........
Old 01-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
No, not yet, but it was installed by a pro that Eric recommended...........

The 'shop' was recommended, but I do not personally know the guy who they use for installation. Just clarifying.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 01-08-2008, 01:01 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe Eddie does all the work, he did mine.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:10 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should go ahead and update to 2.05.

The iPod should never charge when the car is off. In your statement above, that seems to be what you are looking for. Not a good idea. It should be in sleep mode, and charge only when the car is 'on'...

Is that what you are doing?
Eric,

When was 2.05 released?

My iPod works great with the car, but I still need to unplug it overnight or it will be drained by the next morning. I am sure this is minor but it would be great to get the right updates downloaded so that I don't have to worry about unplugging it overnight.

Thanks,

TD
Old 01-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

2.05 has been out for a while. The issue may be related to the ipod...if it's the 6th Generation, that is a known bug. Let me know what ipod you are using.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:59 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

what's the cost for the dennison now and does it come with 2.05 software?
Old 01-09-2008, 08:13 AM
W211
Racer

Question Drained iPod issue

Originally Posted by atomic80
Yes, that's correct. Mine charges until it's complete even after I remove the key. I've never had my iPod go dead on me before. Eric, have you tried seeing if you can find a refurbished 4G? I actually bought mine refurbished because they're just as good as a new one for less.
Thanks for jumping in Jason. When I plugged in an 4G iPod nano for testing, I notice that it didn't charge after I removed the key as well.

My problem could be a combination of the iPod and the Dension Gateway 500 unit. Any further suggestion Eric, and clarification on the charging part with the key removed?
Old 01-13-2008, 01:33 AM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

I had a Dension unit in my e39 m5 and it was the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen. It was so buggy. It even immoilized the car several times. Ripped it out and all was fine.

I would never buy their product again.

my .02.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:47 PM
PorscheJ
AutoX

Default Try the tooki

I recomend the Tooki and the Nav Tv unit myself. it works great
Old 01-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ag02M5
I had a Dension unit in my e39 m5 and it was the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen. It was so buggy. It even immoilized the car several times. Ripped it out and all was fine.

I would never buy their product again.

my .02.

Was it the GW500 unit? Earlier non-MOST bus units were nothing like the technology of today.

If the reasoning above was applied to our Porsches, no one would drive them.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:00 AM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Was it the GW500 unit? Earlier non-MOST bus units were nothing like the technology of today.

If the reasoning above was applied to our Porsches, no one would drive them.

It was about 2 years ago or less. Not sure but it was major junk. It plugged into the bus in place of the cd changer.

Quick Reply: Denison out of the porsche ipod biz?