Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...0&d=1193157264
Old 01-01-2008, 02:36 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

Another masterpiece of engineering from Porsche - make us wait and dump this POS FM modulated iPod unit on us. Nice
Old 01-01-2008, 02:38 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

At least it works.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

There has been a lot of testing/discussion in the Cayenne forum regarding the mOBridge iPod unit (if you are looking for an alternative to the Dension unit, if in fact it has been discontinued)
Old 01-01-2008, 03:22 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by eclou
Another masterpiece of engineering from Porsche - make us wait and dump this POS FM modulated iPod unit on us. Nice
Not POS, they prefer to think of it as cost effective.
There were 3 design options developed and presented, including a full up MOST implementation for the iPod.
The cheapest solution was chosen (re: bottom line profits)
Old 01-02-2008, 02:29 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad I waited, I think I'll stay on the side lines until this works itself out.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 912 Likes on 550 Posts

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/diceimostporsche.html

No affiliation. Given the interest here, seems to be a product looking for a guinea pig. Not me, as I have all my needs met by Sat Radio now.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:53 AM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a Dension and while its not perfect, its perfectly usable. I'd rather not have iPod usage than to have one thru FM modulation.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:16 AM
ArcticSilver
4th Gear

Interestingly, my dension unit with firmware 2.05 has worked flawlessly for months now. I had issues before this firmware, but 2.05 fixed all of my concerns.

GREAT product, in my eyes. The only problem I have is that since I upgraded to the Ipod Touch, the Dension won't shut it off and the battery dies on it after a few days....but this is supposedly going to be fixed soon. My other ipod (an ipod 80gb) works perfectly.

YMMV.

Rob
Old 01-05-2008, 07:23 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Arctic - thanks for posting.

You guys and your rumors. NO, Dension is nothing but strong and thriving, and they are a reseach and development company, so they don't just throw other's designs into a box and push it to market. They take a lot of time in development, and yes, things are often a little buggy at first, but no other company addresses issues like these guys. And we are in touch with their R&D folks regularly, and with tech folks quite often too, providing feedback, creating trouble tickets, and walking through steps needed to resolve any lingering problems. But the number of problems compared to the number of functioning units is tiny. No, they are not discontinuing...no idea who or where that crap started.

Chris - we've been around this for so long it's making me ill now. Something is wrong with your installation buddy. The two units we sent you checked out fine. Not saying Matt or Eddie did something amiss, but perhaps someone else in the area who's done more of these could isolate the problem.

They don't all suck. In over 900 units out we've had 6 or 8 DOA units total. Not bad. And of the issues that arose from customers post-install, over half were installation errors.

In many cases, the reprogramming of the MOST bus will solve much of this. In others, it's as simple as using UNswitched power (some installers insist on switched, but that is wrong). Can also be a flawed firmware upload too, or a bad iPod.

We'll get yours working someday, but rest assured, it's not a bad Dension product at all, it's just not working perfectly in your system for some odd reason. And I'm willing to do anything I can to get it right. I'll keep you posted if we stumble on anything else.

In the meantime, good to hear from others that things are working. And yes, the Tequipment option is a waste of money, trust me.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 01-05-2008, 05:40 PM
W211
Racer

The rumour must have started from the Dension USA web site not working:

http://www.densionusa.com/

It appears that the US distributor is now based out of Canada?

http://www.dension.com/dealers.php?country_code=US
Old 01-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

DensionUSA was not Dension. They were a distributor, and they did some really stupid things right before the unit hit the market. Dension cut all ties with them in November of '06. Crap still floats to the top though.

Anyway, they are long gone. We are the primary US distributor. The Canada folks assist in getting the larger quantities into North America, then we take the chunk for the US. Works well so far.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:43 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
In many cases, the reprogramming of the MOST bus will solve much of this. In others, it's as simple as using UNswitched power (some installers insist on switched, but that is wrong)..
FWIW from the MOST design cheap seats, MOST nodes require unswitched +12V, switched power to a MOST node violates the specification.....never a good idea.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:27 AM
W211
Racer

Question Questions for Eric regarding bugs.

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
DensionUSA was not Dension. They were a distributor, and they did some really stupid things right before the unit hit the market. Dension cut all ties with them in November of '06. Crap still floats to the top though.

Anyway, they are long gone. We are the primary US distributor. The Canada folks assist in getting the larger quantities into North America, then we take the chunk for the US. Works well so far.
Thanks for the clarification Eric.

My Dension unit is still giving me some problems draining the iPod battery losing connection. I suspect my iPod is too old. However, when plugged in a current iPod nano, the unit still does NOT charge after I remove the key from ignition. It stops after 10 seconds or so. The Dension box is definitely on unswitched connected to my 2007 997TT.

There is however a big improvement, the Gateway 500 can immediately recognize the iPod nano. With my older iPod, I have to plug and unplug 10 times before the Dension Gateway 500 picks up the connection.

I'm on 2.03, does it make a difference upgrading to 2.05? When will 2.05 work with the current G5 iPods?

Thanks again!
Old 01-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by W211
Thanks for the clarification Eric.

My Dension unit is still giving me some problems draining the iPod battery losing connection. I suspect my iPod is too old. However, when plugged in a current iPod nano, the unit still does NOT charge after I remove the key from ignition. It stops after 10 seconds or so. The Dension box is definitely on unswitched connected to my 2007 997TT.

There is however a big improvement, the Gateway 500 can immediately recognize the iPod nano. With my older iPod, I have to plug and unplug 10 times before the Dension Gateway 500 picks up the connection.

I'm on 2.03, does it make a difference upgrading to 2.05? When will 2.05 work with the current G5 iPods?

Thanks again!
You should go ahead and update to 2.05.

The iPod should never charge when the car is off. In your statement above, that seems to be what you are looking for. Not a good idea. It should be in sleep mode, and charge only when the car is 'on'...

Is that what you are doing?

Quick Reply: Denison out of the porsche ipod biz?