Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After-market exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007 | 09:48 AM
rmira
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Aftermarket exhausts do not void the warranty.
I spoke to the service manager at Jim Ellis Porsche in Atlanta. I asked him specifically, will an after-market exhaust void the warranty on a 997TT, he said no. (Honestly, the only reason I called is because this will be the first after market system I have installed that is not cat-back.) It would be a real stretch for Porsche or any other manufacturer to deny warranty claims because of an after market exhaust. I've read on several posts here, where the stock exhaust had to be put back on to help diagnose a problem, but I've seen no discussion on this forum or other forums about a dealer denying warranty service because of an after market exhaust.

I believe I read on the GT2 specs where they've changed the exhaust configuration to help get extra HP. I believe that would almost exclude the GT2 exhaust from fitting on the 997TT. There have been plenty of rumors of the TT getting it's own PSE, but as TTsurgeon said, it will probably be north of $7000.00
Old 09-08-2007 | 12:03 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

rmira, sent you pm.
Old 09-08-2007 | 03:06 PM
golfguy
Racer

Originally Posted by rmira
So far I have the following:

Cargraphic - $4700.00, loud, 12 lbs. lighter
BB Exhaust - $3885.00, loud, 17 lbs. lighter
Fabspeed Gen 3 - $3695.00, medium, 10 lbs. lighter
Fabspeed Gen 2 - $3695.00, quiet, 10 lbs. lighter
AWE - $3795.00, medium, ?? lbs. lighter
MillTek - $4499.00, medium, ?? lbs. lighter
Tubi - $4500.00, loud, ?? lbs. lighter

Please feel free to fill in the blanks and add or change the above list. Especially manufacturers where I've made a mistake.
here are my mods to your list. all the 997tt fs exhaust are gen 3; gen 2 was a 1 pc muffler.

Fabspeed Gen 3 moderate - $3695.00, medium, 10 lbs. lighter
Fabspeed Gen 3 quiet - $3695.00, quiet, 10 lbs. lighter
AWE - $3795.00, quiet, ?? lbs. lighter
MillTek - $4499.00, quiet, ?? lbs. lighter

btw, the fs gen 3 quiet is still louder than awe. my mod to milltek is based on treynor's feedback on 6speedonline.
Old 09-08-2007 | 06:24 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

What percentage of the total overall weight of the exhaust system do these aftermarket systems save?
Old 09-08-2007 | 08:05 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
What percentage of the total overall weight of the exhaust system do these aftermarket systems save?
stock exhaust weighs 46 pounds without the tips. Cargraphic loud saves 11 pounds, so 24%.
Old 09-08-2007 | 08:29 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Thank you. I'm debating with some of my German friends what percentage of weight can, with more elegant engineering, be eliminated from an exhaust system without going to more exotic, albeit less durable (particularly in turbo applications), materials such as certain titanium alloys. For a test, we're re-engineering a Z8 exhaust and, thus far, 58% of the weight has been eliminated.
Old 09-08-2007 | 10:14 PM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

I spoke to the service manager at Jim Ellis Porsche in Atlanta. I asked him specifically, will an after-market exhaust void the warranty on a 997TT, he said no. (Honestly, the only reason I called is because this will be the first after market system I have installed that is not cat-back.) It would be a real stretch for Porsche or any other manufacturer to deny warranty claims because of an after market exhaust. I've read on several posts here, where the stock exhaust had to be put back on to help diagnose a problem, but I've seen no discussion on this forum or other forums about a dealer denying warranty service because of an after market exhaust.

I believe I read on the GT2 specs where they've changed the exhaust configuration to help get extra HP. I believe that would almost exclude the GT2 exhaust from fitting on the 997TT. There have been plenty of rumors of the TT getting it's own PSE, but as TTsurgeon said, it will probably be north of $7000.00

So what is your verdict???

Have you made a decision yet??
Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2007 | 08:51 AM
rmira
Instructor

I've decided to go with an after-market exhaust system for the TT. I'd appreciate feedback from those that have after-market systems installed.
I've decided to go with FS: Sport Cats with the Bypass pipes. I know it'll probably be too loud, but I wanted to have the Bypass pipes anyways. Joe at Fabspeed has been very helpful answering all my questions, and has assured me that switching out the bypass pipes for version 3 cans, (should I decide to buy the cans), is a quick job. I'll keep everyone posted
Old 09-09-2007 | 10:18 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

I've decided to go with FS: Sport Cats with the Bypass pipes. I know it'll probably be too loud, but I wanted to have the Bypass pipes anyways. Joe at Fabspeed has been very helpful answering all my questions, and has assured me that switching out the bypass pipes for version 3 cans, (should I decide to buy the cans), is a quick job. I'll keep everyone posted
Bravo!!

The FS system completely Changes the driving experience and you won't regret it!!
Old 09-10-2007 | 12:27 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Good job, but do pick up a set of cans as well, the bypass pipes sound insane!
Old 09-10-2007 | 02:46 AM
Bux
Track Day

It's all about personal taste. I love my Milltek at Idle, deep and scarry, but still much more quite than Page's 997 base with Sport Exhaust...I don't want it loud when I am on the gas...the cops could hear me if it was loud at WOT (wide open throttle).

Check for previous posts with links to exhaust recordings, they are fairly accurate even over computer speakers.

DG
Old 09-10-2007 | 10:08 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bux
It's all about personal taste. I love my Milltek at Idle, deep and scarry, but still much more quite than Page's 997 base with Sport Exhaust...I don't want it loud when I am on the gas...the cops could hear me if it was loud at WOT (wide open throttle).

Check for previous posts with links to exhaust recordings, they are fairly accurate even over computer speakers.

DG
You're right - it ususally comes down to personal choice. I just installed a Europipe system. The quality is the best I've ever seen and the sound is great. Start-up, idle and under load - great noise...and no annoying drone or resonance. Here are some comparative specs:

Cats - Stock 600 cpsi 118mm
Europipe 100 cpsi 153mm

Tailpipes - stock 60mm
Europipe 76mm

Backpressure - stock 0.44 bar
Europipe 0.12 bar
Old 09-10-2007 | 10:41 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

I'd be worried about CEL's with 100 cell cats.
Old 09-10-2007 | 10:58 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I'd be worried about CEL's with 100 cell cats.
No CEL's - 153mm vs. stock 118mm makes the difference - the contact area of the Europipe cats is the same as the contact area of the stock cats.
Old 09-10-2007 | 12:14 PM
rmira
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bux

DG
I loved the PSE on the 997 I owned, my wife did not even mind it. I wonder how the FS sport cats/bypass pipes are in comparison to a PSE on a 997, (DB and drone levels.) I realize the sound is different - NA vs. Turbo.

Quick Reply: After-market exhaust