Sponsored by:

After-market exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 06:37 AM
rmira
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After-market exhaust

I've decided to go with an after-market exhaust system for the TT. I'd appreciate feedback from those that have after-market systems installed.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:49 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,168 Likes on 575 Posts

I am very impressed with my AWE unit. It is not one of the louder units but gives the TT the deep growl to match its character. It is very well constructed, and not made of cheap thinwall tubing like some brands. Fit is perfect, and I was able to install it myself with no alignment issues
Old 08-31-2007, 08:59 AM
golfguy
Racer

Originally Posted by rmira
I've decided to go with an after-market exhaust system for the TT. I'd appreciate feedback from those that have after-market systems installed.
rmira

you will find that there are lots of post in this forum experiences with aftermarket exhaust. the benefits will be an increase in power (17-30hp ymmv), reduced turbo lag and lower egt which increases turbo life. sound levels are subjective and mp3/video clips don't reflect the true user experience so you will have to be the ultimate decisionmaker. here's a quick synposis of feedback but i suggest you use search to get more feedback.

the most popular seems to be fabspeed probably due to price, moderate sound levels and most available (for test drives). check out postings by porschephd, e55amg, golfguy and others on fabspeed.

awe wins on rennlist for quiestness and imho, quality and technical merit. check out post by eclou and mike/a.w.e.

atomic80 and aahtt have posted on cargraphic.

sharkster thinks that miltek is the quietiest (and provides the most power) and tubi provides the best sound.

check 6speedonline for other 997tt owner feedback.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:58 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, I just got back from Fabspeed yesterday. I had Joe personally install the generation 3 system on my car. It has a nice growl, absolutely no drone. The power is unreal, really wakes the turbos up, big time. The fit is perfect, doesn't hang down at all. Easily installed WITHOUT taking off the bumper. Very heavy guage construction. I had the pleasure of taking the 5$ tour yesterday as well. ALL the components are made right there on site, everything is first class, he must have had 200 different jigs for welding the various exhaust components for all the different models of p cars. He also has a quieter version meant for tip/cabs, also sounds good. The GT3 stuff looks really good and he has a lot of stuff in development, cool. He has the bypass pipes on his TT, now that is too loud for me, sounds like a cup car on steroids. Pics video later.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:04 AM
Alex (UK)
Racer

Wait until next April time and Porsche will be bringing out a retrofittable titanium sports exhaust for the Turbo. Probably cost a lot more than the competition though but probably make it back up on resale.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:26 AM
SchH III
Intermediate

Based on Stephen's recommendation, I had the Fabspeed 'quiet' installed on my 997 Turbo Tip. There is absolutely no drone or resonance with the Fabspeed and the car is much more responsive. Fitment and alignment are perfect and, in my opinion, the system is worth every penny.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:10 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

^ Ditto
Old 08-31-2007, 12:02 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love mine too! I think so do the other 80 units we have out there!
Old 08-31-2007, 01:13 PM
rmira
Instructor

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
He has the bypass pipes on his TT, now that is too loud for me, sounds like a cup car on steroids. Pics video later.
Did you ride in his car? If so, how was the drone, or was there one?

Thanks
Old 08-31-2007, 01:47 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

The bypass pipes are extremely loud, drone like crazy. The gen 3 system sounds aggressive with no drone, but my wife thinks it's a bit too loud, so I'll prolly switch out the cans to the tip/cab version he uses which is quieter.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:20 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by rmira
If you want the loudest and meanest exterior sound and a completely droneless cabin, then there is only one: Cargraphic Loud Export version
You have to experience it in person to see what I am talking about, clips are pretty much useless.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:37 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Agree, gotta hear 'em in person. The CG export is def loud, the FS gen 3 is sedate in comparison.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:38 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

The only real way to tell what's for your needs is to somehow listen to one in person. I know it's a stretch for some people but otherwise it's really too subjective.

If you want as close to stock as you can get then the MillTek is the choice. It's very quiet inside the cabin. People seem to like the Tubi sound and it has perfect fitment too. It's also the lightest if that's important. The AWE is about as loud inside as a tubi (not very but louder than a MillTek) and also has good fitment. The sound is deeper than the Tubi. Depends on what you're after
Old 08-31-2007, 03:44 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
The bypass pipes are extremely loud, drone like crazy. The gen 3 system sounds aggressive with no drone, but my wife thinks it's a bit too loud, so I'll prolly switch out the cans to the tip/cab version he uses which is quieter.
See, that was your mistake. Should have done like me and had the exhaust hiding in a closet BEFORE the car even got here!
Old 08-31-2007, 10:58 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Thumbs up

Some shots of Fabspeed, the place is first class.....
Joe at work on my car!
Lame assed stock can
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: After-market exhaust