Ruf RT12 vs Veyron and others in Road & Track 0-200mph article

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 02:22 AM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ruf RT12 vs Veyron and others in Road & Track 0-200mph article

Hope this is not a repost.

The Ruf was comprehensively outclassed by the really big guns of the Veyron, Lingenfelter and Henessy. I suppose that comes as no surprise really.

Quite strange though that this RT12's quarter mile ET (11.6) and trap speed (124mph) are quite a bit down on other RT12's tested. Not that it would have made any difference at all in the final standings...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=5680

Old 08-06-2007, 02:35 AM
hatchback
Advanced

The Lingenfelter Vette broke down after one run and the Henessy Viper needed special treatment in between runs.... It's hard for me to count that as a victory for those cars. By my count, the Ruf RT12 and the Veyron came out on top for no-fuss no-problem performance. The most embarassing outcome was the $480k SLR McLaren couldn't break 200mph.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:23 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

+1 what he said.
The Vette's time should have been tossed out cause he broke after 1 pass. The Viper is damn impressive but looks like it would be a handful to drive. The Bugatti is cool, but it should have smoked the field with it (and the Viper's) huuuge HP advantage. Cudos to the Ruf for hanging right in there and being the easiest to drive lap after lap, a totally reliable 650 HP 911.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:52 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That' great news for Hennesey. Who, btw, is a Houston guy.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Rufguy
8th Gear

I'm the owner of the Rt12 from the article and was there for the test. That's me driving the car in all of the photos except for those taken of Millen when he was driving the car.

"Comprehensively outclassed"? I don't know how you can say that. The ONLY car that outclassed the Rt12 was the Bugatti at some five times the price. The owner of Bugatti was there and he was trying to sell it for $1.8 million.

Sure the Vyper and the Vette were faster but the Vette broke after one run and the Vyper was nearly undriveable. It took many runs in the Vyper just to get a good start and it was still slower in the 0-60 than most of the cars because the thing was so hard to handle. And this happened in the hands of a professional driver who's been doing this for many years.

Also, it was comical to see how the Vyper was prepped. Race rubber, heated tires, leaf blowers under the car before each run. After each run, large bags of ice on the turbos. I drove my car there (the only one who did), barely prepped the car (only checked tire pressure), and when we were done, drove it home.

The Hennesey guys were very cool and John Hennesey got his inspiration from Alois Ruf. There is no doubt that the Vyper and the Vette are awesome cars and I have nothing but respect for those cars and what those tuners were able to accomplish. However, they certainly did not outclass any car because they are an entirely different class. The R&T people totally acknowledged this and more than a few of them said that the Rt12 was their favorite car of those tested. Their problem is that there are so few cars that can even go 200mph (let alone those that can get there in 2 miles) that they had to include the Vette and the Vyper. With the SLR and Lambo not even getting to 200mph, it's not really a shootout when there's only two cars (the Veyron and the Rt12)!

Thanks to hatcback and TT Gasman who totally get it!

I too was disappointed with the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for my car. Not sure what's up but suspect it was the lack of traction on the runway, temperature (it got pretty hot that day), and perhaps that my car is 4 wheel drive (more weight) whereas the other tested Rt12s were 2 wheel drive.

John
Old 08-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Rufguy
I drove my car there (the only one who did), barely prepped the car (only checked tire pressure), and when we were done, drove it home.
John
This is why I am buying another Porsche. Plenty of us get it.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:18 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

John, I love your car! Rufs have always been my fav esp in yellow!!
How does it compare to a regular TT? It must be night and day.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:30 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 599 Posts

No question in my mind which car I would want in my garage. The RT12 in SY is about as hawt as it gets!!
Old 08-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Rufguy
8th Gear

Thanks Doug, I love it too! I haven't driven a TT so couldn't compare but, for the money, the TT is one of the world's best cars. I've been a Ruf fanatic since I was a kid so the Rt12 (or whatever Alois was building at the time I could finally afford one!) was always the goal.

John
Old 08-09-2007, 06:41 PM
x-50speeder
Instructor

I absolutely loved my 996 Ruf Turbo 550 conversion! It was incredibly fast and never had a problem. In fact, I am ready to see what Ruf will do with the 997 TT. Any insight Rufguy?

Steve
Old 08-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Rufguy
8th Gear

I have no idea what he has planned after the Rt12 for the 911 based cars. Not sure there are any plans given that the Rt12 is a 997 based car (though the engine is 996 based). We were just with the Rufs last week in Germany and most of the focus is on the CTR3. Didn't get to drive it but did spend a lot of time with it (including watching Alois drive it around the Hockenheim Ring!) and it's just gorgeous. I know some folks haven't liked what they saw in the pics (myself NOT included) but seeing it in person is a totally different experience. That thing is going to be special.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:25 PM
x-50speeder
Instructor

I figured they were spending much time on the CTR3 as well as the fact that the new TT conversion might steal some of the RT12's power plant thunder, or even that they are figuring out how to capitalize on variable vain technology. I am hoping that the 997 TT conversion will be in the 600-650 hp range.
Steve
Old 08-09-2007, 11:37 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I too would take the Ruf out of that lot no question. Love that car. Very cool that you were involved, and it is comical that you were the only one to drive there and home. Awesome.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:14 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the inside skinny rufguy. Love the car and all of what RUF is about..........
Old 08-11-2007, 04:35 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by hatchback
The Lingenfelter Vette broke down after one run and the Henessy Viper needed special treatment in between runs.... It's hard for me to count that as a victory for those cars. By my count, the Ruf RT12 and the Veyron came out on top for no-fuss no-problem performance. The most embarassing outcome was the $480k SLR McLaren couldn't break 200mph.
There is a ton of spin in this thread, and indeed in the R&T test.

"Broke down" is about as related to "an o-ring on the valve cover gasket" as "VEYRON" is to "Affordable"

Quick Reply: Ruf RT12 vs Veyron and others in Road & Track 0-200mph article