Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rant: CF Dash Warps after 1 year ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 12:05 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rant: CF Dash Warps after 1 year ...

The insert pieces on my dash are warped severly and popping away from the dash. These are the two pieces of Carbon Fiber just below the windshield.

While Porsche will replace the pieces under warranty at the dealer, it is a hassle to bring the car in, leave it there, pick it up, etc. What assurances do I have that it won't happen again? Sounds like a design defect to me and will likely continue to happen repeatedly.

Sad.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:19 AM
Tioga120
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

That's no good-and is a PITA.

Do you have a photo by any chance?

Curious about the pieces.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:13 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 522 Posts

Sorry to hear that, possibly bad glue and high California heat, makes your wonder if those cars delivered to the middle east will have the same problem.

ps. getting anything to replace the sedan?
Old 06-20-2007, 11:04 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Sorry to hear that, possibly bad glue and high California heat, makes your wonder if those cars delivered to the middle east will have the same problem.

ps. getting anything to replace the sedan?
The S500 is a lease with a few months left on it. The car is worth almost half of the residual value, so we will walk away at the end of the term. MB did very inexpensive leases on the last year body style of the S class cars to move them. The car is the worst car we have ever owned and we will not be getting another MB. Replacement vehicle? Toyota Prius
Old 06-20-2007, 11:39 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I know they use a different vendor for CF parts on the 997 vs the 996. However, I suspect it is a 1 time annoyance, a friend has a 997S with all kinds of carbon, he parks it outside yr round in the sun, zero CF issues in 2 yrs.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:00 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bummer. Seems someone else mentioned a similar problem. Maybe just a bad lot of parts delivered to the factory. Hopefully, replacements will be up to standards we expect and deserve (for the friggin' $$ they charge for CF)

Good luck.

BTW, any CF on the Z? If so, can you compare by looks alone ?

Ken
Old 06-21-2007, 12:13 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Hi Ken, no CF on the Z06, clean, plain and simple. And a real joy to drive!

Trending Topics

Old 06-21-2007, 12:15 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I know they use a different vendor for CF parts on the 997 vs the 996. However, I suspect it is a 1 time annoyance, a friend has a 997S with all kinds of carbon, he parks it outside yr round in the sun, zero CF issues in 2 yrs.
Chris, this mirrors what the dealer said. Parts are on order with Germany, and will take a month or so to arrive. I contacted Porsche and filed a report just in case I need them to "assist" the dealership in expediting the replacement parts....
Old 06-21-2007, 01:19 AM
Duane993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems like carbon fiber dash peices are the leather dash peices of the new millenium. Porsche used to offer a leather dash ...which turned out to be a disaster. After a few years Porsche would only replace the leather dash under warranty with a plastic one. They just stopped making leather parts and told the owners they where SOL.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:02 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Duane993
It seems like carbon fiber dash peices are the leather dash peices of the new millenium. Porsche used to offer a leather dash ...which turned out to be a disaster. After a few years Porsche would only replace the leather dash under warranty with a plastic one. They just stopped making leather parts and told the owners they where SOL.
I wouldn't necessarily agree with your conclusion about the CF dash pieces. Time will tell.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:04 AM
Duane993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually I hope the CF parts last forever and ever. They are much better looking than the Alumilook stuff.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:01 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 522 Posts

For CF parts at least your know they are real CF, alumilook is just painted plastic that will scratch up real easy.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:33 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
For CF parts at least your know they are real CF, alumilook is just painted plastic that will scratch up real easy.
WRONG.

True CF would be molded Kevlar (we've done it, trust me). These are nothing more than plastic wrapped in carbon fabric and clearcoated. Yes, it's time consuming and looks stunning, but it is NOT true carbon all the way. Not a bad thing, just clarifying.

And FYI, our painted plastics will hold up far longer than factory carbon will. If this stuff is done right, it's done to last.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 06-21-2007, 05:38 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
WRONG.

True CF would be molded Kevlar (we've done it, trust me). These are nothing more than plastic wrapped in carbon fabric and clearcoated. Yes, it's time consuming and looks stunning, but it is NOT true carbon all the way. Not a bad thing, just clarifying.

And FYI, our painted plastics will hold up far longer than factory carbon will. If this stuff is done right, it's done to last.

What is important is defining "Carbon Fiber". If we use your defiinition, "True CF would be molded Kevlar" are you saying that Porsche has misrepresented the product?
Old 06-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 915 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Eric, you have me a little nervous after ordering a bucket load of CF. The Porsche sales guy did tell me that the clear coat can scratch, but how would you rank durability and scuff resistance of
leather,
alumalook,
painted plastic (seat backs?)
CF?

Quick Reply: Rant: CF Dash Warps after 1 year ...