Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does your 997 tt skid out on sharp corners if you lift off the throttle or brake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 03:07 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
B ,could you post a in car video of the tt sometime, enjoyed the writeup. Heading to pocono for a little short track warm up, then the glen for two days. Can't wait!
c
Hey Surgeon,

I would love to, but to be honest, I don't do video anymore. I used to, way back in 1999 when I started track driving, but I kind of forgot about it in recent years. I guess the more you go to the track, the less time you spend on photographs and video.. If I remember, next time I'll take my gear and do some in car. However, I usually use a window mounted suction cup, camera holder.. So even the in car video, you only see the track, not my hands. (I don't have a roll bar to mount a camera to.)

I used to live in New York (and Miami), so I'm very familiar with east coast tracks. My first track day was at Pocono, I think we ran the east course if I remember correctly... If you ever get the chance to run Pocono LONG, it's a great configuration. Have fun.

B
Old 06-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Ernie Jen
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your answer is in the August '07 issue of Car and Driver. See article on page 53.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:11 AM
franki68
Track Day

"his is the answer i received on renntam:

"Porsche screwed up with the PTM setup, trying to make the car more "raw". Incidentally, many serious Turbo drivers in Europe are throwing out their 997TT AWD systems and replacing them with 996TT AWD systems . "

posted by "crash" in eu"

Firstly ignacio..I cna understand where you are coming from ,at first it seemed to me the 996tt handled better...it doesn't ..you just arrive at corners so much quicker,your reactions have to be so much better,and that guys post about swapping the 997awd for the 996tt awd...I have not heard of one person who has undertasken such insanity.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:06 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Wouldn't that be like swapping Windows Vista for Windows '98 ??
Old 06-29-2007, 04:12 PM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

B-line - it would be worse than that. It would be like trying to make MAC OSX work on Vista and run properly. Not gonna happen efficiently or properly. It wasn't designed for the application.

I really don't think it is that easy. I know from the past 996TT to get them 2WD was not too complicated but since the new system is using a different clutch system I don't now how it would know what to do. Unless its just a mechanical thing that can be plugged right into a computer controlled module that can be re-programmed? I am not technical but it would seem to be a VERY VERY expensive modifcation.

Unless you are taking this to the track all the time and driving it 9/10 or 10/10 of the time why would you want to do such a thing? Wouldn't it be easier and probably cheaper just to order a GT3? Or get a used one and buy a 997TT for the cost I would assume it would take to make it work?
Old 06-29-2007, 04:24 PM
B-Line
Drifting

I'm with you Alpine... It sounds like the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Not to mention what it would do to resale.. Who would want to buy a FRANKENcar like that.

The 997TT has biased more power to the rear wheels, the front wheel drive aspect of the AWD is controlled to minimize it's involvement. This way the car handles more like a RWD sports car.
As far as I'm concerned, putting in a 996TT computer to return the car to some 50/50 setup is just stupid.

B
Old 06-30-2007, 12:28 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Originally Posted by franki68
"his is the answer i received on renntam:

"Porsche screwed up with the PTM setup, trying to make the car more "raw". Incidentally, many serious Turbo drivers in Europe are throwing out their 997TT AWD systems and replacing them with 996TT AWD systems . "

posted by "crash" in eu"

Firstly ignacio..I cna understand where you are coming from ,at first it seemed to me the 996tt handled better...it doesn't ..you just arrive at corners so much quicker,your reactions have to be so much better,and that guys post about swapping the 997awd for the 996tt awd...I have not heard of one person who has undertasken such insanity.
That's totally insane, what moron would rip out the 997 AWD and replace it with a 996 AWD?? Seems like it would be a lot cheaper to just buy a 996TT.
Personally, I like the rear bias in the 997TT, it's like having an old friend around, I'm very comfortable with the handling of the car.

Quick Reply: does your 997 tt skid out on sharp corners if you lift off the throttle or brake?