Sponsored by:

TT Stock Exhaust Note....

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 04:48 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TT Stock Exhaust Note....

OK, so I was worried about the exhaust note on the TT. Read stories that it sounds like a vacume, or it wasn't loud enough, etc, etc. After driving it a while now, I think that it fits the TT very well. Its not quiet, at least to me, I can hear it just fine inside the car. It reminds me of the 80's German exhaust note. Very low frequency with a bit of pulsing at idle. I think it suits the TT very well. I do miss the crack of the flat 6 on my C2S at full throttle, but I haven't really pushed the TT yet. I hear the trademark Porsche sound but its a bit muffled. Overall I'm going to stick with the stock muffler for now. Thinking of getting black GT3 RS wheels like Atom.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:32 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
OK, so I was worried about the exhaust note on the TT. Read stories that it sounds like a vacume, or it wasn't loud enough, etc, etc. After driving it a while now, I think that it fits the TT very well. Its not quiet, at least to me, I can hear it just fine inside the car. It reminds me of the 80's German exhaust note. Very low frequency with a bit of pulsing at idle. I think it suits the TT very well. I do miss the crack of the flat 6 on my C2S at full throttle, but I haven't really pushed the TT yet. I hear the trademark Porsche sound but its a bit muffled. Overall I'm going to stick with the stock muffler for now. Thinking of getting black GT3 RS wheels like Atom.
I have black GT3RS wheels on my black TT - look great - I'll try and get a picture this weekend. I am still getting used to the subdued sound of the exhaust - I really like the PSE sound - wish there was that type of option on the TT.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the exhaust note has improved considerably since my car was new. Only have 5K miles but the exhaust system seems to be getting more seasoned, a comment made by others as well. Today, someone told me how loud the car sounded in the parking garage (!!??).

I preferred the sound of my 930 with headers and cat bypass, to be sure but I'm getting accustomed to this new car sound. Even still, I think it can be improved on by an aftermarket system. I've checked out AWE and Fabspeed but haven't decided which I like better. Either way, sound aside, I like the extra few ponies, diminished lag time and lower EGTs, so I'm going to switch over.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:58 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911

I got my car almost a year ago and the only thing I hated about it was the exhaust sound. I even found myself enjoying my boxster with GHL exhaust more than the TT. My main frustration was the inability to hear the throttle blip when downshifting and having to rely on reading the rpms instead and I hated that.
I waited several months impatiently until I heard most available exhausts and decided to go with the Cargraphic export version. It is very loud outside the car but minimally loud inside the cabin, just enough to hear the downshift blips and I still wish it was louder.
Other benefits were weight savings of about 12 pounds and 25 HP increase and 30NM increased torque.
Obviously exhaust sound is a matter of personal preference and I strongly advise anyone looking to buy an aftermarket exhaust, to listen to it in person if possible as the video clips don't do them justice.
My 0.2 cents.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:00 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you guys think porsche listened and changed the exhaust tone on the later run cars?
I remember test driving one last year, sounded like a caddy. today I heard a stock one that sounded different somehow(better).
Old 05-24-2007, 01:23 AM
gradyex
Racer

A BIG YES!!! I spoke with my service rep and asked him why there was so many complaints on the turbo exhaust being too quiet when I thought it was just perfect. Remember I'm coming from a 2005 997S with sport exhaust. Sure the S is louder but the Turbo sounds just right ...not too loud..not too quiet. He responded that although nothing is official from Porsche (they will not acknowledge it anyway) he really feels that Porsche modified the original sound a bit for the better. I remember hearing the sound recorded on the internet on a before and after comparison and the older exhaust was horrible not just because it was too quiet but it didn't sound "Porschelike". My turbo was delivered a few weeks ago and that was my biggest surprise. The 997S with sport exhaust sounded great but at times it was almost too loud because I never installed the switch so it remained wide open all the time. I am satisfied with both the sound level and note from my Turbo and feel that it will only get better with time.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:16 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The exhaust is def changed. I test drove one last year, couldn't even hear the engine. When I fired mine up for the first time today it sounded pretty good, kinda like an old air cooled car.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:26 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

Someone needs a new avatar!!
Old 05-25-2007, 09:47 PM
texas911
Race Car

So they must have done a running change? That's good to, ummm, hear.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:01 AM
gradyex
Racer

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
The exhaust is def changed. I test drove one last year, couldn't even hear the engine. When I fired mine up for the first time today it sounded pretty good, kinda like an old air cooled car.

Well is that all? Tell us more! Hows the new ride? I know you need time to drive it first. Go drive but do post some photos in due time! Congratulations, the car is real tight until the first 500-1000 miles. I am at 1000 + and notice a difference. I'm sure it gets better! Thats the best way to describe the exhaust sound...almost like having my 911SC again but with loads more power. It has the proper note for a Porsche. At least it doesn't sound like a vacume cleaner or a cadillac. The exhaust is a keeper for me at least for the time being. Drive her in good health.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:12 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 666 Likes on 338 Posts

Chris, Congrats!!! I really like sea blue - we need to hook up so I can see it. Interesting about the exhaust. I have a FS exhaust sitting in my basement, wondering if I'll need it!

Looks like I'll have some more to wait. Dealer will be receiving my car on Tues. so i'm flying out on Wed. and will drive it home Thurs.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:14 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
The exhaust is always louder when you fire the car up and it is cold, it quiets down a lot after a couple of minutes. Are you sure the exhaust note is different even after the car is warmed up and running?
maybe a sound clip is in order.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, Chris (C4S-S)

Congrats on the new turbo. Enjoy it and post some pics when you can. I'm curious to see that color combo - sounds cool. As far as the exhaust thing goes, I don't believe Porsche would quietly (no pun) modify the exhaust just to mollify some customers' concerns. I could be wrong. The official line is that, at least in Europe, noise pollution is becoming a big deal and auto makers are being required to meet certain sound level restrictions. Hence the Hoover-esqe set-up. In any event, it will get louder with time/miles.

Hey, Chris (E55AMG)

Thank God! Wednesday is just around the corner. Since you are already in possesion of the Fabspeed, go for it. Sound aside, there's only good in opening up the downstream restriction/backpressure. More HP/TQ, less heat, quicker spool time. It's all good.

Ken
Old 07-01-2009, 10:32 AM
F16 Chuck
8th Gear

Default 2008-2009 Turbo PSE hack

Maybe I missed it (or I am not using the right search terms) but has anyone done the PSE hack on a 2008-2009 Turbo? I am looking for a bit better sound, not additional HP at this point, and don't want to pay a lot of $$ to get it.

Quick Reply: TT Stock Exhaust Note....