Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

child seat

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 03:33 AM
YellowTurbo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with the previous post. I have been doing emergency medicine for 17 years and frankly one of the reasons I upgraded from a Boxster to a 996tt was the back seat. Kids are just safer there.

Now --> getting a 5 point harness seat that will fit in a 911 seat is not easy. My daughter is 4 years old and has a SafeGuard Go seat ---> this is one of the few 5 point harnesses that will fit back there. I highly recommend it.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:20 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

IF the child seat fits the rear seat properly, then the rear seat would be the safer place, but from first hand knowledge, a ill-fitted child seat is much more dangerous than a properly fitted one in the front seat.

A couple years ago I was admited to the ER, while I was there a mother a 2 kids got wheeled in. They were in a 996 that got rear-end, her car is stationary and the trailing car was doing around 30-40km/hr when it hit her car. She was completely fine, apart from the seatbelt burnt, her 4 yr old son was in a properly fitted child seat in front and he was also completely fine. Her 3 yr old daughter was in a child seat in the back seat, it wasn't fitted properly and the little girl suffered a broken neck and will be paralysed for the rest of her life. The physicians at the ER all concluded that the difference between the 4yr old and the 3yr old was due to a properly fitted vs a ill-fitted car seat.

Now I am no doctor but this is a pretty graphic illustration, same accident, properly fitted and secured car seat in the front vs a ill-fitted car seat in the back. One walks away and one is wheelchaired for life.

IF the car seat fits the rear seat properly and securely, by all means put the child in the back, but if the car seat does not fit properly, then the front seat is going to be that much more safer.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:37 AM
W211
Racer

What a sad story! Was the rear car seat a 5-point or just a booster, how exactly was it not properly installed do you recall?
Old 06-21-2007, 10:36 AM
2k7997tt
Advanced

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
IF the child seat fits the rear seat properly, then the rear seat would be the safer place, but from first hand knowledge, a ill-fitted child seat is much more dangerous than a properly fitted one in the front seat.

A couple years ago I was admited to the ER, while I was there a mother a 2 kids got wheeled in. They were in a 996 that got rear-end, her car is stationary and the trailing car was doing around 30-40km/hr when it hit her car. She was completely fine, apart from the seatbelt burnt, her 4 yr old son was in a properly fitted child seat in front and he was also completely fine. Her 3 yr old daughter was in a child seat in the back seat, it wasn't fitted properly and the little girl suffered a broken neck and will be paralysed for the rest of her life. The physicians at the ER all concluded that the difference between the 4yr old and the 3yr old was due to a properly fitted vs a ill-fitted car seat.

Now I am no doctor but this is a pretty graphic illustration, same accident, properly fitted and secured car seat in the front vs a ill-fitted car seat in the back. One walks away and one is wheelchaired for life.

IF the car seat fits the rear seat properly and securely, by all means put the child in the back, but if the car seat does not fit properly, then the front seat is going to be that much more safer.
Solution to problem.....take the minivan (or other automobile that can safely hold children in the rear seat(s).

Safest solution....buy a vehicle with two rear rows and place each child in the middle.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:06 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by YellowTurbo
Now --> getting a 5 point harness seat that will fit in a 911 seat is not easy. My daughter is 4 years old and has a SafeGuard Go seat ---> this is one of the few 5 point harnesses that will fit back there. I highly recommend it.
Looking at the website for the SafeGuard seat, it says that it requires the top teather to be used--is there the atachment point in the coupe? Unfortunately the cab doesn't have one (that I have seen anyway).
Old 06-21-2007, 12:10 PM
YellowTurbo
AutoX

The SafeGuard Go does require a tether. (my 996tt coupe has a tether option-had to cut thro the back material to expose it. The manual stated the Canadian model had one but said nothing about the the US model but indeed it did)
Old 06-21-2007, 12:54 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by YellowTurbo
The SafeGuard Go does require a tether. (my 996tt coupe has a tether option-had to cut thro the back material to expose it. The manual stated the Canadian model had one but said nothing about the the US model but indeed it did)
Got it, thanks. Guess I'll check the manual to see if there is a hook under the carpet in the cab.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by W211
What a sad story! Was the rear car seat a 5-point or just a booster, how exactly was it not properly installed do you recall?
Because of the wide base it was slanted sideway and not facing perfectly forward. Don't know if the tether was installed or not.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:48 AM
Tone
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I strongly recommend the Porsche seat for the 997 that retails for $275.
PN 955-044-801-03.
This works for my '06 Carrera S -- perfect in the back
- I assume would for TT, but check w/ you dealer.

There were 2 PORSCHE seat options for my 4 year old (now 5). The other was huge more expensive one with the crossbar....

The one I purchased above fits the back perfectly, is made by Porsche and though not cheap not crazy either (unlike the $100 leather key fob in the parts display case...).
Old 06-22-2007, 10:09 AM
MaxPorsche
3rd Gear

Default Porsche seats work well.

I fully agree with Tone.

We have two of the "Porsche Kid Plus, G2+G3" seats,
Part no. 955 044 801 02 in the back of our 997TT. As I have them installed fulltime for our two girls (3 and 5 yrs), I removed the seat bottoms (simply attached by Velco) to avoid damaging the seats.
Attached Images   
Old 06-22-2007, 10:40 AM
P-Nuts
Racer

These look perfect, exactly what I am looking for. Does anyone know who makes them for Porsche, they must be made by someone like Britax or Fisher Price? As I don't put the kids in the 997 much, I don't really want to spend $600 on 2 seats.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Tone
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep - that's the one I have - as MaxPorsche has pictured. I don't know why the PN is different...maybe a rev or maybe there is a difference between the CS & TT.

Regarding getting the same seat elsewhere cheaper....I don't think you can. The base is custom for our cars and fits PERFECTLY. I tried a different one and it just didn't fit right.
I recommend spending the extra money and getting something that fits perfectly -- which can only be safer.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:56 PM
YellowTurbo
AutoX

Cute girls!.... exactly the reason to get a p-car..those back seats fit kids great!
The porsche seats are not 5 point belts but they do look very good.... are they installed with Latch system or wth the standard seatbelt?

Quick Reply: child seat