Sponsored by:

child seat

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 09:06 PM
LVIENAD
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default child seat

For those of you who have kids (my boy is 4).
Did you order the child seat from Porsche? And if so, how do they compare to regular child seats. Do they fit well in the back seat as well?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-22-2007, 10:31 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by LVIENAD
For those of you who have kids (my boy is 4).
Did you order the child seat from Porsche? And if so, how do they compare to regular child seats. Do they fit well in the back seat as well?

Thanks in advance
Forget the Porsche seats they are way overpriced and I think too big for the rear seats anyway. I use a pair of Fisher Price Safe Voyage booster seats for my 3 year-old twins and they fit great over the narrow rear seats. They also look like Recaro racing seats, check them out.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:47 PM
W211
Racer

I have the Britax parkway and it fits well.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:11 AM
2k7997tt
Advanced

I am very suprised to find car seats that are fitted for the front seat on the Porsche website.

I advise all of you to never place a car seat in the front of a car. Find a safer option.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:31 AM
W211
Racer

The rear should be safer, correct? The front seat, I just realized, actually has latch hooks!
Old 06-18-2007, 06:22 PM
2k7997tt
Advanced

Correct. The front seat has the Latch system (and the rear does not). The rear also has a nice hump in the back that precludes the placement of most seats.

The front seat might be the only option in the 997TT but it is not a safe option.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

It's actually depends on which 'expert' someone talk to, there are 2 camps on this issue, just like everything else in life.

In the old cars where the front airbag is the more powerful one or where it cannot be disabled, the front seat is not a good place for a child. A rear facing car seat is especially deadly in those cars.

For modern, current cars with the safer progressive airbags and the disable feature, there really isn't much difference. Driver seat is occupied 100% of the time, the front passenger seat is also much more likely to carry someone than the rear seat. Car makers know this fact a LONG time ago and some argued that they pay THAT MUCH more attention in making the front compartment more survivable than the rear, as the rear doesn't get much seat time.

In the case of the 911, the rear seat is not even close to ergonomically correct and almost none of the car seats on the market fit properly in the back. The front seat is much roomier and there is NO trouble at all in properly fitting and securing a child seat. With the seat cushion and seat back properly adjusted, I don't think you can find one human being on this world saying the rear seat with a ill-fitted child seat is SAFER than a properly fitted and secured child seat located on the front seat.

There are exceptions to this, the safest location in a car statistically is the middle seat in the middle row, but it doesn't really apply to the 911 and the only safe option on a 911 is the front passenger seat, the rear seat is just too dangerous and should only be used in a pinch.

My own son is turning 6 this summer and he actually fit the rear seat perfectly without any child seat/booster, the shoulder belt and lap belt are actually where they are suppose to be. Mind you his height is at the 99.5% percentile of his age and he is 4'2" tall. I think the rear seat is designed for people who is 4' to 5' in height only.

Whenever possible however, I had him seated in the front, with a properly secured booster as it's a much safer option than the rear.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:28 AM
hailwood
Instructor

We actually just picked up our TT this weekend and had two Porsche Child Seats installed. One is the booster type for our 4yr old and the other is the smaller one with the cross body restraint for our two year old.

the seats fit very well and seem to be made for the car. The latch system which we can not use in this car seems to be very well designed.

As for the cost, the one for the infant was a bit $$ but whats a few hundred bucks when you just spent 140K.

I am not sure there is any merit to it but in my mind a $400 car seat must be made of better materials than a $80 car seat. even if it is only in my mind i can not bring my self to put my children in a $80 car seat. it may be totally false because i know they all have to pass the same tests, but in my brain it is better to spend a little more and get what i feel is a better product.

just like when i am riding a motorcycle. sure all the helmets pass the same tests but wouldn't you feel better with your head in a very quality looking and quality feeling $1000 helmet or would you go to walmart and buy the $80 helmet. again if only a factor in my imagination, i would still rather spend more and hope i am getting a superior product.

as far as the front seat goes, the porsche and all other new vehicles have the passenger seat sensor to turn the air bag on and off. so if the seat and child weigh less than 75 lbs the air bag will not activate. that being said i would prefer to have the kids in back but if i only had a two seater (we got the TT over the GT3 because of the back seats) i would use the car seat in the front because our kids and their seats probably weigh in at 60lbs.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:12 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 599 Posts

Unfortunately Porsche re-markets the $80 car seat as their own $400 seat
Old 06-19-2007, 04:02 PM
P-Nuts
Racer

The front seat is fine for kids so long as the air bag is de-activated. It's also a more fun place for the kids to sit and they can see all the action. I had a boxter S before the 997 and didn't have much choice on where to put the child seat :-)
Old 06-19-2007, 05:47 PM
W211
Racer

Is the following the model Porsche repackaged?

http://www.britaxusa.net/products/360_parkway.aspx
Old 06-19-2007, 10:04 PM
darmawaa
Advanced

Hailwood, is your 4 yrs child use this Porsche car seat: Part no. 955 044 801 02 ?
Old 06-19-2007, 11:56 PM
cableguy
Racer

I actually ended up returning my Porsche car seat. My son was about a year at the time and he hated the cross bar restraint. I felt bad because he always wants to go in teh car but hated the seat. That was about 6 months ago. Wonder if it's worth trying again??
Old 06-21-2007, 01:36 AM
2k7997tt
Advanced

Originally Posted by P-Nuts
The front seat is fine for kids so long as the air bag is de-activated. It's also a more fun place for the kids to sit and they can see all the action. I had a boxter S before the 997 and didn't have much choice on where to put the child seat :-)

The safest place for your child is in the middle of the back seat. (This is not an option for the 911.) If you have a choice between vehicle A that has a rear/middle seat and the 911, CHOOSE VEHICLE A when traveling with a child.

I am a Pediatric Critical Care physician....unfortunately, I have seen the results of too many children placed in car seats in the front seats. IT IS NOT THE AIR BAG that is of most concern at 65-80 mph. Skull fractures, intracranial bleeding, cerebral edema, etc. result from the head striking the surface of the windshield (and sometimes the pavement). Additionally, children placed in the front seat are at increased risk for head injury from intrusion. (SUV T-bones a 911 and the bumper becomes part of the 911's interior.)

Use your heads....traveling with a child in the front seat IS NOT YOUR SAFEST OPTION. Smart air bag or dumb air bag, you are placing your child at increased risk of head injury by placing them in the front seat.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:38 AM
Duane993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd put the little guy in a head to toe michelin man suit just to be really safe.

Quick Reply: child seat