Clutch slip

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 10:49 AM
jgerken
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch slip

"5000 miles since protomotive ecu tune and 2000 miles since cargraphic. no problems so far with the exhaust and I love it. there were 2 instances of what seemed to me like clutch slippage when cold and only in 6th gear at full 1.2 bars. Both times happened when I tried to overtake another car on the highway at about 60 mph and when I floored it in 6th, the clutch spun like crazy. The dealer drove the hell out of it and could not find anything wrong. The tuner says the car is now too strong for the stock clutch especially when cold. when warmed up, it runs like a mad dog."

The above is a quote from another forum. One thing I've seen through all my wasted years of screwing around with cars, is that many times horse power is the beginning, not the end. Next comes the clutch, then the tranny or U joints or whatever, as the added power exposes the next weak link in the system.

With an extra 100 HP the clutch may be that next link in the TT. Although I am intrigued with the bolt on packages available, I'm wondering if, with that large an increase in HP, I shouldn't also consider a better and while I'm at it, lighter clutch.

Jim
Old 02-03-2007, 01:09 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by jgerken
"5000 miles since protomotive ecu tune and 2000 miles since cargraphic. no problems so far with the exhaust and I love it. there were 2 instances of what seemed to me like clutch slippage when cold and only in 6th gear at full 1.2 bars. Both times happened when I tried to overtake another car on the highway at about 60 mph and when I floored it in 6th, the clutch spun like crazy. The dealer drove the hell out of it and could not find anything wrong. The tuner says the car is now too strong for the stock clutch especially when cold. when warmed up, it runs like a mad dog."

The above is a quote from another forum. One thing I've seen through all my wasted years of screwing around with cars, is that many times horse power is the beginning, not the end. Next comes the clutch, then the tranny or U joints or whatever, as the added power exposes the next weak link in the system.

With an extra 100 HP the clutch may be that next link in the TT. Although I am intrigued with the bolt on packages available, I'm wondering if, with that large an increase in HP, I shouldn't also consider a better and while I'm at it, lighter clutch.

Jim
Jim, it was my post in response to people asking for follow-ups after tuning. I only noticed the "slippage" twice in the last 5000 miles and I took the car to the dealer twice but they couldn't find anything wrong, probably because the car and clutch was all warmed up when I get there. Todd Knighton, the tuner said that although the stock clutch usually handles that amount of power, this was basically a "good" problem to have and that he has seen this happen before with the car they used for their 911TT shootout a couple of years ago, he blames a weakness of the clutch when cold and obviously recommended a stronger one. I also want to note that the dealer has documented the relatively early slippage and told me if it becomes worse, they might fix it under warranty, although they refused to use a stronger aftermarket clutch. So, I have been taking it easy for the first few minutes and it has never slipped again.
P.S. : I have never abused the car in first gear since I got it, so it must be a power problem and I would definitely recommend a better clutch if money is no problem, in my case I am going to wait and see if it does it again .
Old 02-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

It is a similar problem with the 996TT's.. Uprate the clutch system with factory Heavy Duty components. There are many options available.

However, I highly doubt that the "dealer" will get PCNA's approval for a warranty repair.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:12 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jim,
You drove my car and I have 7500K miles on it. Nothing is slipping. I also already have about 80 dyno pulls on it. So keeping in mind that a clutch is a wearable item it also has a lot to do with how it is driven. My old 996TT went 28K miles on a 520RWHP and 598RWTQ before I screwed up. I hit 2nd gear before I came all the way off the clutch. That was enough to be the start of the end. I notice that the TTs have a tendency to induce this type of error on the drivers part which leaves to immediate clutch wear and the very downward slope of needing one.

Aside from that it is census that most will never even see 28K miles on these cars!
Old 02-03-2007, 04:25 PM
jgerken
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default clutch

Stephen,
There's no doubt your car was operating perfectly. I ran across AAH986's post and just wanted to see if I could shake any other issues out of the bushes before I went ahead with the mods.
Jim
Old 02-03-2007, 07:05 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by Kevin
It is a similar problem with the 996TT's.. Uprate the clutch system with factory Heavy Duty components. There are many options available.

However, I highly doubt that the "dealer" will get PCNA's approval for a warranty repair.

Kevin, can you elaborate more about the factory heavy duty components? my service manager said they would have to use stock parts when needed and refused to install aftermarket stuff. Does a heavy duty OEM clutch exist for the 996TT? If so, is it the same part number for the 997TT?.
Thanks.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:11 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
Jim,
My old 996TT went 28K miles on a 520RWHP and 598RWTQ before I screwed up. I hit 2nd gear before I came all the way off the clutch. That was enough to be the start of the end. I notice that the TTs have a tendency to induce this type of error on the drivers part which leaves to immediate clutch wear and the very downward slope of needing one.

Aside from that it is census that most will never even see 28K miles on these cars!

You just confirmed my suspicion that the stock clutch is not adequate for 500+ whp and requires extra care when driving hard. When it is time for mine to be replaced I am using a stronger one.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:15 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

There are a lot of choices. The 3082 will work fine for most of us and your foot will never feel the change. Yet it will hold the extra power!
Old 02-03-2007, 07:26 PM
AAHTT
Racer

There are a lot of choices. The 3082 will work fine for most of us and your foot will never feel the change. Yet it will hold the extra power!
Stephen, excuse the ignorance but what is a 3082? is this an OEM part fot the 997tt ?
Old 02-03-2007, 07:27 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

It refers to a SACHs number.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:47 PM
AAHTT
Racer

It refers to a SACHs number.
Thank you, is this something the dealer would install or do I have to take it elsewhere when it is time ? I know the stock clutch is made by sachs, is this part number for a clutch kit ?
last question, if the dealer won't do it, do you have any recommendations for install in the san diego area?
Thanks again.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:04 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

The dealer should not be able to. It looks the same so if you handed it to them and said it is stock they wouldn't know any different.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

If you supply the dealer with Sachs parts WITH Porsche part numbers.

I sell the complete package with LWF for $1,895.00
Old 02-03-2007, 08:29 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by Kevin
If you supply the dealer with Sachs parts WITH Porsche part numbers.

I sell the complete package with LWF for $1,895.00

Thank you both for the information, I will keep it in mind when the time comes.

Quick Reply: Clutch slip