Sponsored by:

AWE Tuning exhaust development update and dynosheets

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Todd/A.W.E.
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AWE Tuning exhaust development update and dynosheets

I know a lot of forum members have been anxiously awaiting our 997TT exhaust system (we've gotten a ton of e-mails), so here is an update.

We took delivery of our development car almost a month ago, and rapidly put on some break-in miles to ensure that our data during testing remained accurate. We did not want power to vary just because the engine was breaking in.

Meanwhile, we mocked up a system based on measurements we took and on correspondence with BorgWarner technical. The VTT turbos on the 997TT are run near 95% of maximum efficiency at stock redline boost levels, and BorgWarner expressed concern with pushing the turbos past their current high rpm boost levels. Apparently, the ECU is not able to control the turbos when they are pushed that hard, and wild overboost can happen.

We reached what we considered to be a proper break-in point last week, and began our data acquisition on our chassis dynamometer of the actual stock performance characteristics, such as backpressure, boost production and wheel power numbers. We also documented stock sound volume levels, and recorded stock sound tone. This is how we approach all our exhaust system development.

Now for the numbers...

Here is a stock boost mode dyno sheet showing our first muffler prototype vs the stock muffler:

Here is the muffler test in overboost mode:

We're quite pleased so far with the power results!

Even more interesting, is how the boost is affected by the new muffler.

Stock boost mode:

And a close up on the lower rpms showing initial boost ramp up:

Notice that with our prototype design, we are able to improve boost ramp up but at least 100rpms, not to mention allowing the turbos to actually produce more boost than stock (which is a main contributor to our power gains down low).

Here is overboost boost testing:

And a close up of lower rpms range:

Again, we were able to improve boost ramp up, though not as drastically as when in stock mode.

Some specs on our current prototype:

3.5" inlets to 200cell German metal cats, 3" primary tubing, 2.5" tailpipe outlets. Backpressure is 50% of stock. 304SS, 14 and 16 gauge thickness. OEM tips can be reused. Fully modular like our 996TT system.

We also incorporated a balance pipe to clean up the sound tone a bit, though the two cans are able still to be separated.

Road testing will be done now for several hundred miles to evaluate the sound qualities, and then our next prototype power testing will happen next week. We plan on testing the power effects of the balance pipe, as well as the effects of 3" tailpipe outlets.

Because of our intensive R&D with this system, it may be a month or so until we are ready to ship our first orders. However, we are firm believers in doing thorough testing of all our products before releasing them to the public. It may cause us to come to market later than some competitors, but any extensive R&D program takes time. In the long run, we have found that it results in happier users!

Any questions, please feel free to ask. I hope to have some sound clips up by early next week.

I will be leaving the office early today to attend Mike's wedding in Virginia. A perfect road test opportunity!
Old 09-11-2006, 10:55 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Excited to see the final product.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:56 AM
cooperlee
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

any update on this development? Any CEL thus far?
Old 09-27-2006, 12:58 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Th awe looks good but for my money, it's the fabspeed setup.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:55 PM
Todd/A.W.E.
Instructor

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Th awe looks good but for my money, it's the fabspeed setup.
Chris, may I ask why?

One major point I must point out between our system and Joe's is that we actually took the time to street and dyno develop this system.

Joe has stated on multiple forums that he has not yet dyno tested his 997TT system, yet he has them in production.

We went through three revisions of this system during the development process. We started with a clone of our 996TT system (like Joe seems to have done), and found room for further improvement.

Our final design has resulted in 20 whp gain, just from balance pipe revisions. And we have logged thousands of miles to ensure tone quality, which also resulted in some fine tuning of the design.

In my opinion, thorough R&D takes time and equipment, it can't be rushed.

Anyway, I would like to know why you would recommend his system over ours. I am very curious for our own marketing interests.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:15 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually he (Joe) hasn't, but we have. I just haven't taken the time to post the sheets. I will in the next day or so. I also have been putting lots of miles on the car to ensure no QC issues.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:32 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I've used Joe's stuff for years, outstanding results. He has gone above and beyond installing systems for me(at no cost once), giving me great deals, excellent service. Plus, I consider him a friend. I'm sure the awe stuff is great, and healthy competition is even better. I have a history with fabspeed, been to the shop on several occasions, very impressed with the products. As I recall his 996TT stuff outperformed every other tuners on the planet, I expect no less from the 997TT version. RD is key, and the last time I spoke to Joe, he hadn't broken the car in as yet, I can understand as it's a 130k toy
It's all good.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Todd/A.W.E.
Instructor

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
I've used Joe's stuff for years, outstanding results. He has gone above and beyond installing systems for me(at no cost once), giving me great deals, excellent service. Plus, I consider him a friend. I'm sure the awe stuff is great, and healthy competition is even better. I have a history with fabspeed, been to the shop on several occasions, very impressed with the products. As I recall his 996TT stuff outperformed every other tuners on the planet, I expect no less from the 997TT version. RD is key, and the last time I spoke to Joe, he hadn't broken the car in as yet, I can understand as it's a 130k toy
It's all good.
Chris,

Thanks for the response.

Tough to argue with loyalty!

If you are local to us in Willow Grove, PA, I would like to extend an invitation to our R&D, manufacturing, and installation facility. I'll personally give you a tour and sit down with you to explain our R&D and manufacturing philosophy.

And one last note: the exhaust shootout that you are referring to did not include many of the big names in the market, including our own system, so the verdict is out if Joe's system beat all systems in the world. Our own testing suggests otherwise, too.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to respond!
Old 09-28-2006, 09:29 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Todd/A.W.E.
And one last note: the exhaust shootout that you are referring to did not include many of the big names in the market, including our own system
In all fairness you did not have an exhaust at the time the test was done. As far as names, well some showed up like Europepipe, RUF and so on. Many have been tested later such as Cargraphic, B&B, Miltek, PSI. All retested in the same conditions as the others were.

If you want an independent test as we have talked before including db levels, frequency pots and more send an exhaust to test.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:03 AM
Todd/A.W.E.
Instructor

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
In all fairness you did not have an exhaust at the time the test was done. As far as names, well some showed up like Europepipe, RUF and so on. Many have been tested later such as Cargraphic, B&B, Miltek, PSI. All retested in the same conditions as the others were.

If you want an independent test as we have talked before including db levels, frequency pots and more send an exhaust to test.
Stephen,

We did indeed have a system available at that time. No worries, there are lots of exhaust manufacturers out there, so I wouldn't have expected you to have been able to test *all* of them. It was not a criticism of your test.

My point was that it is a bit of a stretch to say that Joe's system made the most power in the *world* because of that one test. Yes, his system may have made the most power vs the other systems tested, but there were systems that were not included.

We regularly dyno test 996TTs here as I am sure you are aware, and I too am very familiar with what power the various exhausts can produce, regardless of power level. I am also familiar with their sound tone and volume qualities, which are just as important in my opinion. Those qualities are typically what cause people to either keep or get rid of an exhaust they may have on their car. If the system drones and sets off car alarms all the time, the far majority of the actual owners could care less how much peak power it can make.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:13 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Agreed. There will always be someone better. I agree that stating something is the best hands down is a stretch. Exhaust systems are fine on the number side and black and white. What people want, like dislike is another area not defined by black and white rather it is subjective and gray. Sound, look, and so on. What some people consider resonance and what others don't is their definition. I have owned almost 40 Porsches at this point in my life. What I will like is far different then the person who has never owned a Porsche prior to a 996. Ever owned an early S with webers or MFI and a sport exhaust from the factory. HA! Talk about loud.

All a matter of personal taste once the numbers are cast aside.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:53 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Chris about Joe and Fabspeed, his products are high quality and customer service has always been excellent. In fact beyond and above all my expectations, and I've never even met the guy. So I'll be buying one of his exchaust systems for my 997TT when the time comes.
Didn't that exhaust shootout include Ruf and Europipe as well? I don't recall, but I remember the Fabspeed stuff winning.
Competition is good for the consumer.
Cheers.

Last edited by DJ 996; 09-28-2006 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:36 PM
cooperlee
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was nice chatting with you Steven and thank you for your call. Best of luck with the new car and pls keep me posted on new products and developments for the tt. Cheers!

Sam

Quick Reply: AWE Tuning exhaust development update and dynosheets