Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Owner's Take on the Z06 ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 07:27 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Owner's Take on the Z06 ...

I don't own a Z06, but do think it is a very nice car and wouldn't mind having one next to my 997TT. I have been lurking over on the Corvette forum and reading all the good, bad and ugly goings on over there, then this poor soul decided to start this thread, and if you read far enough into it, you'll see that Rennlist made the news in the thread!

I am not one who "crashes" other forums, I usually stay with my own. If I am on the 997TT forum, I try hard to stick to the 997TT discussions and not stray.

The Z06 group is passionate and that's good. But this thread takes a pretty nasty direction:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1479650
Old 08-23-2006, 07:34 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

I am not getting the link to work. It's worth the read even if you have to copy and paste the link, sorry.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:32 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here ya go:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1479650

it is indeed an amusing read, they get so easily offended and defensive!
Old 08-23-2006, 08:34 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

And it's nice to know that Corvette owners have their own crosses to bear:
https://rennlist.com/forums/general-porsche-discussions-forum/277146-corvette-recall-31k-cars.html
Old 08-23-2006, 08:35 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

A few of the posters went crazy. Since I have been on the Rennlist forums, it has never been quite that bad. Just so I can learn Moogle, what did I do wrong on the thread link? Thanks...
Old 08-23-2006, 09:20 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I got to drive one at the track recently. It is a significantly better track car than my 996ttX50. From the driver's seat, this car is 98% perfect. Interestingly, I think it could use more power as the chassis and tires are really good.
My decision for what I drive daily is very emotional, and I would continue to prefer the tt for a bunch of reasons. However, it is a very tempting car, and is just about as good as the reports say. For the price of an optioned tt, you could have a ZO6 and an E55 or RS Audi or M5. AS
Old 08-23-2006, 09:31 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you just paste the address directly and it will convert into a hyperlink directly. it appears that the hyperlink appearing beneath the link you put is " http:/// " which will prevent any window from opening.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:40 PM
Gilbasa
Advanced

I had a similar experience in a ZO6 a few months ago. My friends boss had just purchased a new black ZO6. He had added an aftermarket exhaust which he claimed adder another 30HP. We took the thing on the freeway and it was a sledgehammer. The acceleration was very very good, but once I stood on the brakes to slow the car from 145mph back down to 80mph, the stearing wheel vibrated and the car darted to the left and right. something which suprised me comming from a car with so much power. it also felt much more nervous at high speed then a Porsche. Also the whole car felt like it was loosely put together. The interior had some squeeks and rattles and the whole car had a cheap feel to it. My impression was that is was very powerfull with great performance but lacked the refinement of the Porsche. This car only had around 2,000 miles on it, I would hate to see how loose one with 40-50 thousand miles might feel.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:16 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gilbasa
I had a similar experience in a ZO6 a few months ago. My friends boss had just purchased a new black ZO6. He had added an aftermarket exhaust which he claimed adder another 30HP. We took the thing on the freeway and it was a sledgehammer. The acceleration was very very good, but once I stood on the brakes to slow the car from 145mph back down to 80mph, the stearing wheel vibrated and the car darted to the left and right. something which suprised me comming from a car with so much power. it also felt much more nervous at high speed then a Porsche. Also the whole car felt like it was loosely put together. The interior had some squeeks and rattles and the whole car had a cheap feel to it. My impression was that is was very powerfull with great performance but lacked the refinement of the Porsche. This car only had around 2,000 miles on it, I would hate to see how loose one with 40-50 thousand miles might feel.
Gilbasa, don't even think about posting this on the Z06 forum, they will come find you!
Old 08-25-2006, 10:59 AM
Zipgun
Instructor

IMO reading threads like those causes IQ loss
Old 08-25-2006, 11:13 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zipgun
IMO reading threads like those causes IQ loss
No worries. Just getting old does that
Old 08-25-2006, 12:32 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Mastiff,
In the 80's (yikes, I'm old), I had a beautiful new 911SC targa and a new 84 Corvette. Turned out I picked the Corvette almost every day- just more fun to drive.
Today, if you had a tt and a ZO6, I don't know which you'd pick. The Corvette for track days, and the tt for all else, I'd guess. AS
Old 08-25-2006, 01:50 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Alex, I happen to like the Z06 and am thinking about replacing the E55 with one. I have test driven it and I enjoyed the dragster quality. I felt kind of "low slung" and the hood felt a bit stretched out, but that is more about just getting used to driving one. I think its a nice sportscar and a good car to switch back and forth with the 997TT.

One thing I can say is that when you go out and buy one of these Z06, there are probably 10 Chevy dealers for every 1 Porsche store. And, there are plenty of cars available - at $7500-$15000 over the window price. My limited research on ordering the car is that the couple dealers I spoke to still want $2-$4K over window. Some of the guys over on the Vette forum claim that there are dealers who will order the car for you at MSRP, but I haven't heard of any yet...
Old 08-26-2006, 12:44 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

The Z06 is a hell of a damn car, I wouldn't mind having one as a toy. But I'll still take the TT as an everyday supercar. Porsches are just about the only car you can drive to the office everyday, track hard on the weekend , then take out on the town for an elegant dinner with your wife...without changing a thing.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:07 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DJ 996
The Z06 is a hell of a damn car, I wouldn't mind having one as a toy. But I'll still take the TT as an everyday supercar. Porsches are just about the only car you can drive to the office everyday, track hard on the weekend , then take out on the town for an elegant dinner with your wife...without changing a thing.
What you said is reasonable, fair and true. If you posted that on their forum they would crush you.

I was thinking of nuking that forum with a bunch of photos of the TT. I'd get banned, but at least the rest of them would fall into line

Quick Reply: Porsche Owner's Take on the Z06 ...