Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clarkson review of 997TT

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...0019_1,00.html
Old 07-23-2006, 02:16 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well is the gas tank half full or is it half empty?

On paper he seems impressed with the TT but it only gets a 3/5 and is described as being "boring", lacking "passion". He says he wouldn't buy one.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:45 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Just got home from a nice Sunday morning excursion in mine and I am still smiling.

It was hard to get bored driving the car. And as far as passion is concerned, you can be as passionate about something as you want to be, so passion is a personal thing.

So, after reading the Clarkson article, I am going to wash mine. Then I'll shprizt and wipe it down with some Zymol Field Glaze.

After being on earth over 1/2 of a century, its pretty hard to not to like everything about this Porsche. I am reasonably sure the Ferraris and Lambos are more exciting, faster and exotic, and I like those cars alot, but this is the most I could afford to spend on a new sports car for now.

I am happy with the choice and very grateful and appreciative to be able to drive one.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:08 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I enjoy reading his reviews. They are funny. However they have no value in helping you decide if a car is good or bad. It is important to him that his reviews are talked about. Are controversial, etc. And most important he wants to be popular , a 'star' which he has become btw. So he is a happy man and I am sure when he gave back the keys of the turbo he was impressed. I am also sure he loved it. But that did not fit in his story.

Anyway , I have been thinking and somewhat stressing over what to buy next. I have thought about a Gallardo Spider , about an Aston , about many different cars. No real budget in mind, just looking at what I liked. I finally ordered the Turbo last Friday and am very happy with my decision. Looking forward to receive it in 10 months.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:27 PM
NiATE
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Wine, women and cars. All so subjective! I love Italian styling. There is always a sense of lust. I couldn't afford a car so I bought a Ducati. Owning one, and listening to hundereds of people talk about their cars, here is my sweeping generalization: People brag about owning a Ferrari (as they should). People brag about DRIVING their Porsche. Nothing right or wrong with either, just seems to be how it falls.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:29 AM
Zipgun
Instructor

LOL Great read nearly all of JC's reviews are like that.

I also enjoy JC's or any of the TG gang's reviews. But you gotta take them as semi serious, top gear is more for entertainment than say fifth gear. But I enjoy both shows.

No matter tho, I too am sold on the TT as well, but unlike the rest of ya. Im gonna wait abit and see if there are any probs and such. Main reason is I never buy 1st year cars (my pvt rule) who knows by then the pdk (sp)? may come out. Which is what im most intrested in.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:35 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Clarkson hates Porsches and Germans, F him.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:25 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
Just got home from a nice Sunday morning excursion in mine and I am still smiling.

It was hard to get bored driving the car. And as far as passion is concerned, you can be as passionate about something as you want to be, so passion is a personal thing.

So, after reading the Clarkson article, I am going to wash mine. Then I'll shprizt and wipe it down with some Zymol Field Glaze.

After being on earth over 1/2 of a century, its pretty hard to not to like everything about this Porsche. I am reasonably sure the Ferraris and Lambos are more exciting, faster and exotic, and I like those cars alot, but this is the most I could afford to spend on a new sports car for now.

I am happy with the choice and very grateful and appreciative to be able to drive one.

i'm with the dog on this one.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:05 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by docjackson1
i'm with the dog on this one.
well put, i am with you all the way dog.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:49 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys, its always a good thing to be with the "Dog"!

Old 07-25-2006, 08:17 AM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm just tired of reading Clarckson's Porsche reviews - that "no fun, no passion" thing about german cars. After all these years he still didn't catch it...we don't need those silly italian feminine lines...Oh well...
Old 07-27-2006, 11:32 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I think he gives it good review. The guy does everyting tongue in cheek. I havent' driven one yet, but he makes the car seem awesome. The guy is a former f1 driver and has the Top Gear show in UK where he drives every dream car you could imagine, he says the 997tt cant be touched on the road or everyday - that's what you want, reliability and FAST! His personal taste is that he wants to be topless in a lambo - Can't blame the guy for that, and I don't think any one of us would mind that for a day or two, but if I'm going to OWN something over 100g and drive the **** out of it - let it be a Porsche!

Hey, the Italian bulls and ponies are beautiful, and they sing like nothing else on the planet - there is no argument there, 20 years ago everything had passion and it came with no power steering, no power brakes, no air bags, and it was downright scary, dangerous, and thriling - if you want that, pay 35G and buy a modded 930! The new porsche is evolution incarnate, and you can put the kids in back avoid gas guzzler tax, and go get the groceries, AND BEAT AN F430, or GALLARDO, and (depenting on the track, a Murceilago) every day, over and over again. PORSCHE WINS! I think JC is a riot, good metaphors and perspective on things.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with DM993tt. The Clarkson review is balanced, good points with what he sees as bad points. Fortunately for most of us, we don't necesssarily see his bad points as being all that bad, while we all agree that the good points are undeniable. Something about "nothing can hold on to a Turbo's tail. Nothing."

BTW, my modded 930 (fast, dangerous, thrilling) is for sale for anyone looking for those qualities in a sports car!
Old 07-27-2006, 12:20 PM
baldheadracing
Instructor

Clarkson is not a former F1 driver, he started out as a newspaper journalist. He's obviously jealous of anyone with actual driving talent (like most of us!), and trashes racers regularly. I think you're confusing him with Tiff, former Top Gear presenter (the old one, not JC's), and current Fifth Gear presenter. Tiff did drive in a few F1 races.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:45 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is correct. Tiff Needell was the one that raced two grand prix back in 1980. I think baldheadracing made a good point about Clarkson's jealousy.
Don’t get me wrong I love Clarkson’s reviews and also Italian cars. What bothers me it’s the fact that he can’t make any Porsche review without saying annoying things about them. If he liked the new turbo why did he give it only 3 stars and call it German and dull?
For instance, try going to a F-forum, make any fair comparison between any model of F and P and you will always get this Clarkson conclusion for an answer: "To me, the 911 is just a hopped up Volkswagen beetle, a Ferrari well, is like a scaled down version of God". We can thank him for that

Quick Reply: Clarkson review of 997TT