Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Turbo and have doubts (my first car ever)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 11:48 AM
cslcsl06
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Turbo and have doubts (my first car ever)

Hello dear Rennlist community,
I trust this message finds you in good health, and I hope I’m not intruding on your time. I’ve reached out because I hold your expertise in high regard and before making a substantial investment, I’d greatly appreciate your guidance.

I’ve come across one car that have piqued my interest. It is a 997.2 Turbo, German, and I’d like to share the details with you.

The car is navy blue beauty with a dark blue interior, 59.900 kilometers. PDK. Factory aerokit.
It has had two owners and no accidents, with the exception of a repaint on right rear fender. It is being sold as "unfallfrei" (accident free). The seller (a dealer) says that it is just a cosmetic repaint.
Priced pretty low compared to all the other Turbos on this km range I've observed, around €87000. On autoscout or mobile.de the cheapest ones with similar specs cost 10k more!
I spoke with the Porsche center which serviced it and they said they know the car and the car as Porsche approved warranty until March 24.

1) Honestly I did not find anything wrong but I have never bought a car before and I have no experience in the field. Everything seems fine?
2) It has a factory aerokit installed. I know there are fans of it but I might prefer a standard rear spoiler. Is it easy to remove it? Do people do swaps, for example?
3) I don't like the steering wheel. I'd prefer the one with no buttons but just the shift paddles. I don't know it's name. So maybe in the future I'd like to switch it to that. How much would it cost to replace a steering wheel? Please see the picture.
4) On the service book, the first page is hand written. I found it strange. However not a big deal. What do you think?
5) Whats the name of these rims? They look very vintage to me. I don't know if I love or hate them.
6) Should I organise a PPI? I called Tüv, ADAC and they all said they can't. ATU said they can.

Your advice is highly appreciated. I will attach service book.

Thank you.

Old 12-09-2023, 02:43 PM
Boozted997
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 62 Posts

This is a nice looking turbo! Blue with the aero kit is rare!

- Handwritten isn't a big deal. I hand write my work in a book as well. It looks like they've done a pretty good job of servicing so that's a plus.
- Aero kit is a factory chosen option. The only way out of your set up is a whole new deck lid with the regular spoiler and it would have to be coded into the ecu + you'd need to install the spoiler switch as well. This would be a bit difficult and expensive.
- PPI isn't the worst idea; it will at least give you peace of mind.
- You can swap out steering wheels. People do it on here all the time and the one on this TT is desirable.
- Can't answer the wheel question, but at least this isn't centerlocks! Centerlocks really limit the wheels you can get and they cost a fortune.

Really looks like a good buy if everything checks out; she's a beaut!
Old 12-09-2023, 03:25 PM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts

You should definitely get a PPI from an independent mechanic or separate dealership to set your mind at ease. This is a major purchase.
I would live with the car as it is now for a few months and decide what you really want to change. I agree with you about the wheels.
I love the rear wiper.

Last edited by Jaskfri; 12-09-2023 at 03:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Skrizzo (01-23-2024)
Old 12-09-2023, 04:08 PM
hjz
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Are those paint to match wheels? I am personally a big fan of the aerokit.

Agree with others have said and definitely get a PPI.
Old 12-09-2023, 05:12 PM
cslcsl06
Intermediate

Thank you all for the valuable answers.
I don’t know if those are painted wheels.
I wonder their name.
I am trying to organise a PPI but can’t find any company who can do it.
Hope Porsche will let me extend the warranty. They say that to be able to extend it I should own the car for at least 90 days.
Old 12-09-2023, 08:17 PM
hjz
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

They look like OEM Carrera Sport wheels. Maybe it's the angle but they have that same color as the paint on the car. Nice touch either way.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...rt-wheels.html
Old 12-10-2023, 09:09 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 256 Posts

Is it a Porsche dealer or independent? i'll check the seller's background if it's easy otherwise it's a good deal and yeah leave everything as is for now. Factory CPO is a wise idea or any private warranty you can get, Happy Motoring!
Old 12-10-2023, 10:38 AM
cslcsl06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hjz
They look like OEM Carrera Sport wheels. Maybe it's the angle but they have that same color as the paint on the car. Nice touch either way.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...rt-wheels.html
Thank you! Yes they’re the ones which is being discussed in that thread however when I google it as carrera sport classic wheels something else comes out. I will check if they’re original color or painted later. Either way they look nice. Maybe a bit small? I still haven’t seen the car in person
Old 12-10-2023, 10:39 AM
cslcsl06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2swoosh
Is it a Porsche dealer or independent? i'll check the seller's background if it's easy otherwise it's a good deal and yeah leave everything as is for now. Factory CPO is a wise idea or any private warranty you can get, Happy Motoring!
Thank you sir, it is not a Porsche dealer, an independent dealer. The seller has great reviews. Factory cpo yes, I should do that.
Old 12-10-2023, 10:40 AM
cslcsl06
Intermediate

I guess on Wednesday I will be there to check the car in person, although I have no idea what I can check. Will try to organise a PPI.. if I manage
Old 12-10-2023, 11:05 AM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 117 Posts

Very similar to my car except for the wheels. I'd keep the factory Aero Package intact. Also, paint to match wheels were a factory option as you can see on mine however, I would try to get the vin decoded to see if they came on your car. I'd also look into the "Cosmetic repaint" a little closer.

Last edited by dave292; 12-10-2023 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-11-2023, 05:52 AM
tctung
Instructor

All 997 Turbo .1 and .2’s are over 10 years old. Though low kilometers (like mine at only 60,000 km), they are prone to a few problems that are age-related, such as aged (deteriorated) oil seals at both ends of the crankshaft that would cause small scale of dripping of engine oil—low cost parts but high labor, around $1,600.
Old 12-11-2023, 12:00 PM
Coppakid
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

@cslcsl06 I assume you know there is a growing valuation delta between PDK (auto) and 6-speed 997.2 turbo cars?
The factory aero kit is a plus for sure… but… if you looked at purely TTM’s you will have bought (some) “insurance” against basic, vanilla, vehicle depreciation.

Good luck!
Old 12-11-2023, 12:11 PM
cslcsl06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Coppakid
@cslcsl06 I assume you know there is a growing valuation delta between PDK (auto) and 6-speed 997.2 turbo cars?
The factory aero kit is a plus for sure… but… if you looked at purely TTM’s you will have bought (some) “insurance” against basic, vanilla, vehicle depreciation.

Good luck!
I am well aware, however for daily use like I am planning to do so I wanted to have a PDK. I know that a purist would have gone with a manual to enjoy everything to the fullest!
Old 03-12-2024, 02:34 PM
ab10
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

cslcsl06 - what did you decide to do here?

Quick Reply: Buying a Turbo and have doubts (my first car ever)