Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 TTS Power Upgrade Reliability and Safety?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2023, 12:09 AM
allthekingsmen
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 997.2 TTS Power Upgrade Reliability and Safety?

Hello Folks,

So, I've been driving my 2012 TTS (with 44K miles) for about three years now with some modest upgrades, mostly a Europipe and a protune that was done on a dyno through Cobb Accessport. I also have an IPD Y-pipe and plenum, so the engine is breathing pretty decently in and out. It's putting out about 510 hp at the wheel (according to what is known to be a conservative dyno). The car moves along pretty great.

But, yeah, the upgrade bug is back, and I'm considering going with a professionally installed meth injection kit. The shop estimates that, with the stock turbos, this should get us up to about 600 hp at the wheel.

What's holding me back, mostly, is concern over what this will do to the engine and PDK health. Now, I know tons of people out there have 997.2 TTS that put out HUGE power, but I guess that a lot of those would be built engines.

So, I'm hoping to hear from anyone who has been running their engine at about 600+ whp with stock internals (sorry if that's not the correct term). Any issues? And what about the PDK?

I would hugely appreciate any insight you might have from your own experience!

Thanks so much!
Old 10-25-2023, 07:41 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 256 Posts

510 whp is more than enough for street fun and reliability but if you have the itch and coins for more power check out AIM Performance shop in NJ they can transform your car from mild to wild
The following users liked this post:
EVOMMM (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 09:50 AM
Boozted997
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 62 Posts

You mentioned tune and IPD goodies. Did you change out the exhaust, high flow cats, or headers? Also for more power, you're going to need upgraded intercoolers. Once you do all of that, you can run a Cobb stage 2 or 3 tune. Perhaps that'll satisfy your power needs?
Old 10-25-2023, 09:55 AM
truekraut
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 123 Posts

With the 997.1TT, a lot of tuners are reluctant to go beyond 600-625 wheel torque on stock internals for fear that you start bending rods and lifting heads. Some say with the right torque curve you can push it a little more… I believe the 997.2TT can be pushed a bit further on stock internals, but not by too much. With pdk, I’ve heard some tuners estimate the limit to be around 650 wheel torque but I’m not as familiar with tuning .2s. As 2swoosh mentioned, AIM really know their stuff along with Sam at By Design and Todd at Protomotive. It’s not so much the horsepower, it’s the torque (especially with an aggressive power curve) that puts a lot of stress on these motors. Let us know what you decide to do!

Edit: here his a link from Sharkwerks about their 997.2TT tuning recommendations. Maybe the .2s should be tuned more conservatively based on this article? Definitely worth reaching out to other tuners for their opinion as well. https://www.sharkwerks.com/tuning-guides/tuning-guide-porsche-997.2-turbo-and-turbo-s-2010-2012

Last edited by truekraut; 10-25-2023 at 10:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cjcam930 (10-25-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 11:19 PM
allthekingsmen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2swoosh
510 whp is more than enough for street fun and reliability but if you have the itch and coins for more power check out AIM Performance shop in NJ they can transform your car from mild to wild
Yes, AIM apparently is amazing, but I'm out in California, so not really sure how that would work. I wouldn't have the ability to install any of their stuff myself.
Old 10-27-2023, 11:23 PM
allthekingsmen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Boozted997
You mentioned tune and IPD goodies. Did you change out the exhaust, high flow cats, or headers? Also for more power, you're going to need upgraded intercoolers. Once you do all of that, you can run a Cobb stage 2 or 3 tune. Perhaps that'll satisfy your power needs?
Yes, the Europipe comes with high flow cats (I forget the cell count, but it's decent). There are no other actual mechanical mods on the car, aside from the apparently necessary 3 bar MAP sensors to facilitate the ECU tune. This is why I'm thinking about meth injection. I wonder about the intercoolers, though. I thought the words was that the stock intercoolers in the .2 are pretty beefy?
Old 10-27-2023, 11:32 PM
allthekingsmen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by truekraut
With the 997.1TT, a lot of tuners are reluctant to go beyond 600-625 wheel torque on stock internals for fear that you start bending rods and lifting heads. Some say with the right torque curve you can push it a little more… I believe the 997.2TT can be pushed a bit further on stock internals, but not by too much. With pdk, I’ve heard some tuners estimate the limit to be around 650 wheel torque but I’m not as familiar with tuning .2s. As 2swoosh mentioned, AIM really know their stuff along with Sam at By Design and Todd at Protomotive. It’s not so much the horsepower, it’s the torque (especially with an aggressive power curve) that puts a lot of stress on these motors. Let us know what you decide to do!

Edit: here his a link from Sharkwerks about their 997.2TT tuning recommendations. Maybe the .2s should be tuned more conservatively based on this article? Definitely worth reaching out to other tuners for their opinion as well. https://www.sharkwerks.com/tuning-gu...bo-s-2010-2012
Heh, you know, it was that Sharkwerks article that got me wondering about this in the first place. It had never even occurred to me that there might be a problem going beyond 600 whp/torque until I saw that. I might reach out to AIM, as you and 2swoosh suggest.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2023, 12:58 AM
truekraut
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by allthekingsmen
Yes, AIM apparently is amazing, but I'm out in California, so not really sure how that would work. I wouldn't have the ability to install any of their stuff myself.
Sam with By Design is out in California. Definitely worth talking to him for some recommendations. I’ve reached out to him in the past for info on his tuning process and he’s super nice and really informative. There are so many members here who have experience working with him and have nothing but glowing reviews. You’d be in good hands, plus he’s close. Good luck!
Old 10-28-2023, 10:22 AM
Cnair
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 173 Posts

Yes, the Europipe comes with high flow cats (I forget the cell count, but it's decent). There are no other actual mechanical mods on the car, aside from the apparently necessary 3 bar MAP sensors to facilitate the ECU tune. This is why I'm thinking about meth injection. I wonder about the intercoolers, though. I thought the words was that the stock intercoolers in the .2 are pretty beefy?
With pretty much your setup and custom Cobb tune by AIM/ESmotors my 12 TTS put out 550 whp. You probably have more ceiling with your current setup.

Old 11-02-2023, 12:06 PM
snolvr
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 73 Posts

FWIW maybe check out BBi Autosport as they are in CA. I run one of their custom tunes managed through a Cobb accessport for my .1 Couldn’t be happier.
Old 11-02-2023, 10:11 PM
Boozted997
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 62 Posts

Not beefy enough. Stage 3 you'll need bigger ones and I think that's listed on Cobb's site as must. I forgot about the 3bar MAP, but it's not much of a lift. It's an $80 sensor that takes 3 minutes to swap out. You can also run 93 or 100 Octane for even more power with the tune.

*Update* Found the language on Stage 3 requirements. Also, it might be hard to find the tune now since the EPA has been going after tuners over the past 2 years now for emissions.

Here's a link to a site with specs: https://competitionmotorsport.com/pr...pr_seq=uniform

Last edited by Boozted997; 11-03-2023 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-05-2023, 12:37 AM
Sher Khan
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Its really whether you want a meth tank in your frunk. If you're happy with this 600whp definitely possible. Obviously far more chance of engine damage if on track at this power level but for road driving absolutely fine even with stock internals and PDK.

Quick Reply: 997.2 TTS Power Upgrade Reliability and Safety?