Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 997 turbo- PPI inspection, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 04:19 PM
997Twildflower
Track Day

Received 20 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 07 997 turbo- PPI inspection, thoughts?

Hey everyone,

After many years of dreaming i am hoping to finally join the community as a turbo owner. I attached a copy of the report and i was hoping for some insight and thoughts. Right off the back this is a 6 speed not an automatic. Aside from the inspection the guy did say this car has definitely been driven, if he didnt know the mileage(31k) he would think it probably has about 80k. They are asking 86k and I am definitely not a mechanic so any insight from the porsche community is much much appreciated

My plan is to hold this long term but also drive and enjoy it. I was hoping for something a little more investment grade so If this is not the one hopefully i will find the right one soon, i look forward to joining the community and hearing your thoughts .

here is the listing, they are asking 86k listing

Old 12-22-2020, 04:26 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Welcome!

First off let me say....$86k for a 31k mile 2007?

Bwhahahahahaah. Get the hell out of here. Those sellers are nuts.

Even if the PPI were PERFECT, I would not pay that money for that car. Not in a second.

To give you an idea, a 7k mile, yes only seven thousand, 2007 Manual Turbo just sold on PCar auction for $84k hammer price. That's $88k including fee. For a pristine, 7k mile car.

A 38k mile 2007 which looked far better than this car, sold for $63k plus fee back in Feb. I know prices have gone up since then but.....

One of our members is selling his 2008. Fewer miles, NO stories, for $79,500.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1226145

Walk away from that car that you posted.

What I suggest you do is follow the auction sites, BAT and PCar Market. Follow the classifieds here. Follow specialized dealers like RAC Performance in TX, Holt Motorsports in PA, , Intersport Performance in VA, Ryan Friedman in NY, Merrit Performance in GA, etc. Look at what's for sale and at what price. There's something for everyone, even if you have to use AutoTempest to puruse "regular" listings. You can find well used 997 Turbos all day long. Unless you're looking for a very low mile or unique or high $ spec, you can get one almost immediately. You can afford to be somewhat choosy. Build a database of what's out there and see how long cars sit there. You'll be able to figure out values quickly.

Good luck!

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 12-22-2020 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 04:36 PM
997Twildflower
Track Day

thats kind of what i was thinking, i appreciate the brute insight lol. i just saw his listing thank you!
Old 12-22-2020, 04:41 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 365 Posts

That's a strong ask... good luck with all that.. did you pay for the PPI report? How much was that? Curious because that PPI was pretty expansive including DME overrevs and crank deviation printouts.. I've gotten PPI reports before and none look quite as expansive as that one.

But back to the car, yeah, way overpriced..

Last edited by saabin; 12-22-2020 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 04:43 PM
997Twildflower
Track Day

ppi report was only $450, done by auto assets near colombus ohio, not that i know much but the guy gave me great insight and had the report ready same day.
Old 12-22-2020, 04:51 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by 997Twildflower
ppi report was only $450, done by auto assets near colombus ohio, not that i know much but the guy gave me great insight and had the report ready same day.
That's not bad value, a tech would certainly have to spend a couple of hours inspecting and putting that report together.. I've seen some that cost $300 and all you get is a scanned 1-page template with some notes scribbled on it.

PPIs are usually reserved after you agree on a price.. kinda surprised you went forward with one before you decided if the car was worth it or not..

Old 12-22-2020, 05:01 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997Twildflower
thats kind of what i was thinking, i appreciate the brute insight lol. i just saw his listing thank you!
No worries! I'm glad you found this forum before you had a bad buy. Lots of knowledge here so you can find good car, and the car you want!

As far as Joe's ad, that's a former Holt car and they are known to be super nice cars. Joe did some tracking down of the owners and also did a little tightening up. If you like the color combo, it's a solid car. I personally like the Cocoa interior, but I know not everyone's into brown.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 12-22-2020 at 05:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JoeFromPA (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 07:50 PM
JoeFromPA
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 99 Posts

OP: that price is a solid 15% high for that example. 75-80k tops for that, even at a dealer. Pay a premium for condition if you want, it’s hard to find really good shape cars. But if your PPI says it seems to have 80k miles on it then I’m guessing that’s not a car you’d want to pay a premium on.

feel free to reach out to me if my for sale ad/spec appeals to you. But like others have said...you can do better for that money.

On a related note: with your budget you should also speak to Tim Holt jr at Holt Motorsports. They have several examples. I bought from them earlier this year and have no regrets. They are a reputable dealer in this niche market.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:05 PM
TurboTime997
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeFromPA

On a related note: with your budget you should also speak to Tim Holt jr at Holt Motorsports. They have several examples. I bought from them earlier this year and have no regrets. They are a reputable dealer in this niche market.
I bought my 997tt about a month ago from Holt (spoke with both Sr and Jr). They definitely have some high quality cars in stock, but you're going to pay for it. If you're currently considering an $86k car, you can definitely get into one of their cars however. FYI, I also drove the silver 997tt with body colored front lip and it was a great driver. I think they still have it for sale. I would have bought it, but my other half preferred the gray version I ended up buying.
The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (02-03-2021)
Old 12-25-2020, 02:27 AM
moxie (SF)
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 82 Posts

That PPI is amazingingly thorough, money well spent. As other said that car is way overpriced, even if it was in excellent condition (which it's not). That PPI is pretty bad, I wouldn't touch that car for any amount of money, even if they fixed it all, there's just too many other cars out there that have been treated better. Clearly, that cars previous owner didn't take good care of it to let it get to that state. I would say pass on this and keep looking.
Old 12-25-2020, 09:00 AM
JoeFromPA
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by moxie (SF)
That PPI is amazingingly thorough, money well spent. As other said that car is way overpriced, even if it was in excellent condition (which it's not). That PPI is pretty bad, I wouldn't touch that car for any amount of money, even if they fixed it all, there's just too many other cars out there that have been treated better. Clearly, that cars previous owner didn't take good care of it to let it get to that state. I would say pass on this and keep looking.
This. When paying top dollar get a no story clean car your PPI mechanic exclaims “wow this thing is clean”
Old 12-25-2020, 01:12 PM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Welcome!

Even if the PPI were PERFECT, I would not pay that money for that car. Not in a second.

To give you an idea, a 7k mile, yes only seven thousand, 2007 Manual Turbo just sold on PCar auction for $84k hammer price. That's $88k including fee. For a pristine, 7k mile car.

A 38k mile 2007 which looked far better than this car, sold for $63k plus fee back in Feb. I know prices have gone up since then but.....

What I suggest you do is follow the auction sites, BAT and PCar Market. Follow the classifieds here. Follow specialized dealers like RAC Performance in TX, Holt Motorsports in PA, , Intersport Performance in VA, Ryan Friedman in NY, Merrit Performance in GA, etc. Look at what's for sale and at what price. There's something for everyone, even if you have to use AutoTempest to puruse "regular" listings. You can find well used 997 Turbos all day long. Unless you're looking for a very low mile or unique or high $ spec, you can get one almost immediately. You can afford to be somewhat choosy. Build a database of what's out there and see how long cars sit there. You'll be able to figure out values quickly.

Good luck!
Actually a 7k 2008 example just sold on BAT this week for 104k and according to this forum was a dirty example. Prices are going up.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:41 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

price is pretty spot on for a dealer. you can get a much cleaner car from a private party for the same price though

car is nice and ppi shows nothing really crazy to me but you will spend a few grand buttoning all those little things up
Old 02-02-2021, 06:06 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 594 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by Upscale Audio; 02-02-2021 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:39 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Welcome!

Good luck!
Haha, glad I posted this post!

Quick Reply: 07 997 turbo- PPI inspection, thoughts?