Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bearing Noise in Engine Compartment: Idler pulley or water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2023 | 01:50 PM
John W
Pro

Blade, have you fitted these yet ?
Just wondering if you also managed to make sufficient room in the same manner Johnny_DB and Truekraut have, or did I remember you have your engine out.

My car has a chirp/squeak at start which disappears after a minute or two.
I had assumed might be either the belt or aircon pump, since it is towards the right side of the engine, but now wonder if it might be the idler.

I am just finishing off replacing all rads and hoses at the front end, so once thats back together this squeak is next, along with the oil hose.
Old 08-13-2023 | 02:03 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John W
Blade, have you fitted these yet ?
Just wondering if you also managed to make sufficient room in the same manner Johnny_DB and Truekraut have, or did I remember you have your engine out.

My car has a chirp/squeak at start which disappears after a minute or two.
I had assumed might be either the belt or aircon pump, since it is towards the right side of the engine, but now wonder if it might be the idler.

I am just finishing off replacing all rads and hoses at the front end, so once thats back together this squeak is next, along with the oil hose.
take the y pipe and airbox off. Used a long screwdriver and place it on the torx bolt holding the pulleys. It was very obvious which one it was.
The following users liked this post:
John W (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023 | 03:29 PM
Blade_uk
Intermediate

John, 2 new pulleys fitted but yes slightly cheating as the engine is still out, latest job is re-fitting the turbos with 2 new pipes each side, the ones with rubber hoses, now waiting for orings as theres a couple I didn’t order which are due in Tuesday, now just realised i also need one for the other ends as well

interestingly the pulley that made the most noise and didn’t spin very well was very overtightened compared with the other free one when removed the second one was probably ok but changed both anyway
The following users liked this post:
John W (08-14-2023)

Quick Reply: Bearing Noise in Engine Compartment: Idler pulley or water pump?