Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 997.2 Turbo S - What problems should I look for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 11:23 PM
cmarkovits
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Big Swole - Great point! I will need to do a little digging and find out exactly what the recommended maintenance schedule is on it. The dealer is doing the maintenance this week, and expects it to be done by Friday, so now would be the time to do it. Less labor to do it all at once for obvious reasons. I think I need to go back to the dealer and get a detailed run down of what exactly they are doing (should have asked for that the first time), and compare that against a Porsche Maintenance Schedule. Sounds like they are only doing what is required by mileage, not by age (your point).

Regarding the COBB PDK Tune, that might be something that I consider in a year or so... My plans for her are to drive it to / from work on nice days and take to the track for PDX events a couple times a year. So I need to get some seat time first before I go 'expanding my horizons'. Thanks for the suggestions!
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (11-13-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 11:23 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 877 Likes on 442 Posts

Congrats and please... pictures inside and out! Great price, awesome decision...
Old 11-12-2019, 11:34 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Originally Posted by cmarkovits
Big Swole - Great point! I will need to do a little digging and find out exactly what the recommended maintenance schedule is on it. The dealer is doing the maintenance this week, and expects it to be done by Friday, so now would be the time to do it. Less labor to do it all at once for obvious reasons. I think I need to go back to the dealer and get a detailed run down of what exactly they are doing (should have asked for that the first time), and compare that against a Porsche Maintenance Schedule. Sounds like they are only doing what is required by mileage, not by age (your point).

Regarding the COBB PDK Tune, that might be something that I consider in a year or so... My plans for her are to drive it to / from work on nice days and take to the track for PDX events a couple times a year. So I need to get some seat time first before I go 'expanding my horizons'. Thanks for the suggestions!

Here are copies of my service bill and what I had done / what's required.

Your car will need the 60K / 6 year service, so I'd recommend get it all done while they're in there.

Your choice on the coil packs. See the extra cost on the receipt. ($450+), but no extra labor since they're in there.

cmarkovits (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 11:55 PM
cmarkovits
Advanced

Big Swole - thanks for the info. That was a good suggestion and the receipts definitely help get a handle on what the cost might be. I tracked down a 3 yr / 30K mile vs 6 yr / 60K mile maintenance recommendation is on the 2011 Turbo S and it looks like in addition to the 30K maintenance, they recommend replacing the drive belt, changing the All Wheel Drive Controller Oil, and doing the Clutch Oil in the PDK Trans. You indicate that you did yours for $2.8K, which is almost exactly what they are telling me for the 3 yr / 30K maintenance. Given that the engine is out of the car, I can't imagine that the additional belt and items would cost all that much more.... Thanks!
Big Swole (11-13-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 12:02 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Big Swole - thanks for the info. That was a good suggestion and the receipts definitely help get a handle on what the cost might be. I tracked down a 3 yr / 30K mile vs 6 yr / 60K mile maintenance recommendation is on the 2011 Turbo S and it looks like in addition to the 30K maintenance, they recommend replacing the drive belt, changing the All Wheel Drive Controller Oil, and doing the Clutch Oil in the PDK Trans. You indicate that you did yours for $2.8K, which is almost exactly what they are telling me for the 3 yr / 30K maintenance. Given that the engine is out of the car, I can't imagine that the additional belt and items would cost all that much more.... Thanks!

First off, the engine shouldn't be "OUT" of the car...lol.
Not needed on a 997.2 TT/S, Thank goodness.

But yes, those 3 things are what is needed to get you up to spec. on the 60K / 6 yr. service. Along with the drive belt, which I had done.

I'd simply give them my copies and tell them to "Do it all". (Maybe not the Coil packs, depending on how you feel, but the extra $450+ was cheap insurance if one or more ever go bad).

Good luck with it man. You WILL love it, in stock form for sure. it's just a bit better when tuned. Still Amazing stock though. Congrats!!
Old 11-13-2019, 12:28 AM
speakerguy88
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Did they say engine would have to come out of car for the service?
Old 11-13-2019, 12:31 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by speakerguy88
Did they say engine would have to come out of car for the service?

I think the selling dealer (not a Porsche dealer) just used that term, since they aren't doing the work. Probably just an assumption on their part.

OP now knows it's not coming out of the car. I sent him a PM about what they do for those services.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:07 AM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

If that helps, I used to commute in a 2012 997.2 TT - drove 44K miles and only did annual service, oil, tires, etc. cam sensors were replaced under warranty, but that was it. Bullet proof of driven often.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:55 AM
E30toF30
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by atcbi5
Short answer is, none.
This
Old 11-13-2019, 12:24 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,537 Likes on 654 Posts

So my Out the Door cost (Tax, tags, Title, etc.) should come to just under $87.6K, which I think is a pretty good price (?). It is a 2011 911 Turbo S w/ 30,250 miles, 7 spd PDK and Ceramic Disk Brakes, Black on Black with Moonroof, and the usual extras like heated seats, Bluetooth, XM Sat Radio, etc.
Wow, that looks like a great "out the door" price to me, nice pickup. Although I'm in Los Angeles County and our sales tax is an outrageous 10.25%.

Looking at the 60k maintenance list posted it's pretty interesting how many of the items on the list aren't real work but simply someone eyeballing something or pushing a button. Check horn operation? Lol, ok. It's a good list to periodically check these things to make sure everything is in working order but it's padded with a bunch of stuff that takes less than 30 seconds each to make it look like the customer is getting $3k worth of service when it's actually more like $1k. The only real items on the list are drive belt, spark plugs, micro-filter, oil and filter, clutch oil, and drive oil. Spark plugs are difficult and the clutch oil takes a PWIS, but the others are pretty simple. Parts from Pelican or FCP Euro would only be around $500. Time is money, I get it, but I'd rather DIY or use an Indy where I can't and put the money I save into an ECU tune or exhaust upgrade.

But then I'm driving a Porsche 911 Turbo on a Ford Mustang income so it forces one to get pretty handy with a wrench, like it or not.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:49 PM
E30toF30
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
Wow, that looks like a great "out the door" price to me, nice pickup. Although I'm in Los Angeles County and our sales tax is an outrageous 10.25%.
Our sales tax here in British Columbia for this price point (under $125 cad) is 15%! 😭

And then bw $125k and $150k cad is 20% sales tax and anything over $150k usd (only $112k usd) is 26% sales tax!!

But wait! Get this! The government is in the process of implementing a new luxury tax for any cars/boats over $100k cad ($75k usd) for another 10% luxury tax on top of the above sales taxes!! 🤮🤮
Old 11-14-2019, 09:30 AM
Dodaleca
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by E30toF30
Our sales tax here in British Columbia for this price point (under $125 cad) is 15%! 😭

And then bw $125k and $150k cad is 20% sales tax and anything over $150k usd (only $112k usd) is 26% sales tax!!

But wait! Get this! The government is in the process of implementing a new luxury tax for any cars/boats over $100k cad ($75k usd) for another 10% luxury tax on top of the above sales taxes!! 🤮🤮
The British Columbia provincial abbreviation "BC" actually stands for "Bring Cash!".
Old 11-21-2019, 12:40 PM
911.Forever
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Very nice snag, the price is very reasonable and you'll really enjoy the car. I highly doubt you will have any issues with the car.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:07 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

I've had my 2011 TTS since new. Here is all I've had to do:

Tires
Brake fluid flush
Oil/filter changes
Replace sticky radio controls
Windshield wipers
Precaution due to age, replaced serpentine belt (cheap and easy to do).
Will do plugs and maybe coils in next few months (car only has 25k miles).

Now looking at having to replace TPMS sensors, as batteries are 9 years old and starting to fail. I plan to do this myself. Parts ~$200 on Amazon, vs. Dealer wanting $900+ to do it.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:09 PM
cmarkovits
Advanced

Default THANK YOU - TIME TO PICK HER UP - YEAH!

All, just wanted to give a big shout out and "Thank you!" to everyone who provided their feedback! Was very helpful as I was very cautious and hesitant about this given that its a big investment. I'm super excited - I'm headed to pick it up tomorrow afternoon! So psyched I don't think I will be able to sleep tonight! Since my last post, I did negotiate that the dealer also do the 6 yr / 60K mile maintenance (as opposed to just the original 3 yr / 30K maintenance that they agreed to). They agreed if we split the difference, which I did. So that will take care of the Drive Belt, the PDK Trans fluid, and the All Wheel Drive Oil in addition to all the items covered under the 30K list. So feel good about that.

Here is the depressing part... Unfortunately the weather on Friday and Saturday is calling for rain, and near freezing temps in the evenings, so instead of flying in to pick it up, I'm gonna huff 8 hours out there with my truck and tow it back (wish I had an enclosed trailer, but had to rent a UHaul auto transport). Not gonna lie, I' kind of disappointed about that. But given the long drive back, and given the fact that it will be near freezing temps crossing the mountains, I didn't want to chance it on Summer Only tires. <sigh> I feel like a kid staring at a present and not being allowed to open it yet! LOL. Waiting on Saturday!!!! lol.
Big Swole (11-23-2019)

Quick Reply: 2011 997.2 Turbo S - What problems should I look for?