Another suspension question; please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 09:52 AM
rp133
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another suspension question

hi guys

My my options are getting stock springs and going back to OE; somehow track down B8’s or do a coil over system (it’s a weekend car for me and not tracking it).

OE— I’m leaning this way but don’t want to spend $$ on labor to bring back to a disappointing suspension set up.

B8’s — I like this idea but hard to find and although GMG is a recommended spring; I worry that might be too low still. Could or would it be stupid to put oem springs on these? Or is there another setup to lower minamally with B8’s?

coilovers— is this overkill? It’s expensive and probably won’t get full use out of it. On the flip side, it is not much more than the B8 set up so maybe it’s worth spending the extra money? I also don’t love that this option is furthest from stock.

thank you very much

Last edited by rp133; 04-02-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:46 AM
raiderr0n
Intermediate

I was in the same boat as you a couple weeks ago. I recently got my 997.2TT that had Champion springs which looked to have sagged over time. I really didnt want to go back to OEM height and debated spending the $ for coilovers. I even thought of going with B8's + springs. My mileage was still fairly low and ended up swapping my springs to Eibach. Gave me about a 0.75" drop from OEM and about 0.5-0.6" increase in the height from Champion. So far I'm happy with it.

Good luck either way and let me know how it goes.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:28 AM
rp133
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RaceWorks
Our RaceWorks Novak coilovers will increase handling performance but most of all, retain daily driver comfort while giving you lots of fine tuning adjustability. On sale at $1192, you get a lot of bang for the buck plus a 3yr warranty.

If you want to stretch a bit further, you can go to our 172SE suspension that most notably comes with Eibach springs.

Heres our Novak model...

https://172suspension.com/products/r...-997-coilovers
ill check these out Thank you!

Originally Posted by raiderr0n
I was in the same boat as you a couple weeks ago. I recently got my 997.2TT that had Champion springs which looked to have sagged over time. I really didnt want to go back to OEM height and debated spending the $ for coilovers. I even thought of going with B8's + springs. My mileage was still fairly low and ended up swapping my springs to Eibach. Gave me about a 0.75" drop from OEM and about 0.5-0.6" increase in the height from Champion. So far I'm happy with it.

Good luck either way and let me know how it goes.
Do eibachs have less of a drop than GMG?
Old 03-24-2019, 07:10 PM
raiderr0n
Intermediate

Eibach is about 20mm (0.8"). From my understanding, the smallest drop out of most aftermarket springs. Not sure about GMG
Old 03-24-2019, 07:45 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 296 Posts

I like my B8s w gmg.
Some say eibach and gmg are same. Gmg is less than inch, maybe 20mm
i don’t scrape. Search forum for pics and write up on the bilsteins.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:49 PM
rp133
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JG 996T
I like my B8s w gmg.
Some say eibach and gmg are same. Gmg is less than inch, maybe 20mm
i don’t scrape. Search forum for pics and write up on the bilsteins.
if you had to do it again would you stick with your setup or do coil overs?
Old 03-25-2019, 01:18 AM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 200 Likes on 133 Posts

I could be wrong but GMG drop looks a lot more like H&R than Eibach. To me, personally, Eibach from all the photos Ive seen are the least drop.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:49 PM
ShatterPoints
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

If it is a weekend car for you and you want comfort, OE is the way to go. If you want it to look cool and don't mind about comfort, get whatever is budget conscious for you. If you want it to ride / handle well, get a coilover and get them revalved. I have a post about my initial experience Here and will be following up once my project is finished at the end of this week.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:03 PM
SapphireGT3
Advanced

I just got HR springs and sway bars on my 997.1 TT 2008. I think the ride has improved a bit stiffer, but the car is more communicative now. I only drive it a couple of times per month, so sag is not a concern. I've had Coilovers and the ride was horrible. Mine has HRE P40 and the stance is perfect for me. Can't stand the gap on the OEM springs

Quick Reply: Another suspension question; please help