Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Function First + Factory SSK or Numeric?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019 | 09:40 AM
USNA12
Banned

Default Function First + Factory SSK or Numeric?

Gents,

Looking to do an upgrade soon of the shifter. I have a Factory SSK on my 09 Turbo with 72k miles on the clock(please don't shoot me for driving my car so much I am sorry I promise to buy a GT3 that I leave in a bubble). Basically looking for input from people who have done the Function First on their SSK, and those who have had the Numeric. If anyone has done both, thou are king and your opinion matters the most.

Josh
Old 01-24-2019 | 09:50 AM
Feld
Racer

Interested also, the throw on my factory shifter is fine but it feels very light. Thinking maybe GT3 shifter it is supposed to have more solid feel, and it is an OEM part.
Old 01-24-2019 | 10:51 AM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

I have the Numeric shifter with a Function-First ****, stock cables, and am thrilled with the setup. The cliched "rifle bolt" feel. Pretty sure there are prior threads on this topic with photos etc.
Old 01-24-2019 | 11:01 AM
USNA12
Banned

Originally Posted by Feld
Interested also, the throw on my factory shifter is fine but it feels very light. Thinking maybe GT3 shifter it is supposed to have more solid feel, and it is an OEM part.
If you want, there is a 90% chance I am buying the Numeric, I can sell you my factory OEM 997 SSK. Let me know what youre thinking in a PM.
Old 01-24-2019 | 11:25 AM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Feld
I'm not sure the shifter alone will get what you're looking for. I installed the Numeric shifter a few weeks ago, and for me it's not the night-and-day improvement it seems to be for others. Outside of the car, my OEM shifter is smooth as butter and indistinguishable in feel from the Numeric. Dropping the height does mean you have to give it a little more effort, but other shifting qualities are pretty much the same.

The heavy shift **** I put on made a bigger overall impact on shifting feel, and I think the biggest upgrade will come when I have the Numeric cables installed in the near future. Since the lever floats freely in the frame, its effect on shifting feel is pretty much limited to its height IMO, as all of the actual "feel' is coming from the cables' interaction with the transmission. Function First cable ends would also probably go further in the "rifle bolt" department than simply the shifter.
Old 01-31-2019 | 10:44 AM
El Dario Loco
Racer

Originally Posted by Skwerl
I'm not sure the shifter alone will get what you're looking for. I installed the Numeric shifter a few weeks ago, and for me it's not the night-and-day improvement it seems to be for others. Outside of the car, my OEM shifter is smooth as butter and indistinguishable in feel from the Numeric. Dropping the height does mean you have to give it a little more effort, but other shifting qualities are pretty much the same.

The heavy shift **** I put on made a bigger overall impact on shifting feel, and I think the biggest upgrade will come when I have the Numeric cables installed in the near future. Since the lever floats freely in the frame, its effect on shifting feel is pretty much limited to its height IMO, as all of the actual "feel' is coming from the cables' interaction with the transmission. Function First cable ends would also probably go further in the "rifle bolt" department than simply the shifter.
Agree. I don't have the Numeric but went with FunctionFirst solution on my factory short shift. The shifter still has a bit of lateral wiggle which is all from the cables. I noticed a marked improvement by just adjusting the cables with the plastic aligmnent tool. Haven't gotten around to installing the cable ends yet but expect them to tighten things up a little more still. I also found that a heavier **** made a nice difference.
Old 01-31-2019 | 12:07 PM
USNA12
Banned

I think I may go with the FF and the cable ends for price and simplicity. How are the cable ends installed, if anyone knows
Old 01-31-2019 | 03:03 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

There's a link at the bottom of the page on their site:

http://www.function-first.com/produc...ter-cable-ends

Looks pretty straightforward as long as you can get under the car.
Old 02-01-2019 | 12:27 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I would go with the factory 997GT3 shifter for near perfection. The nice thing is that you can align your shifter/shift cable yourself with the tool that is included.
The throw is about 10 to 15% more than the 997SSK but near perfect (in my opinion)

Last edited by Kevin; 02-01-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-01-2019 | 04:43 AM
El Dario Loco
Racer

Originally Posted by Kevin
I would go with the factory 997GT3 shifter for near perfection. The nice thing is that you can align your shifter/shift cable yourself with the tool that is included.
The throw is LESS than the 997SSK but near perfect (in my opinion)
Don't you basically get a GT3 shifter if you swap the plastic bushings to metal ones like with the FF kit? Except for the shorter throw, are there any other differences? Byt the way, thanks for the tip about adjusting the shift cables once in a while. Totally worth spending $4 on the tool.
Old 02-01-2019 | 09:36 AM
USNA12
Banned

The throw is LESS than the 997SSK but near perfect (in my opinion)
Kevin, thanks for the info. I think I'm going for the FF kit and cable ends. Looks like a solid deal with the discount they are giving me. Will have my shop adjust the cables also.
Old 02-01-2019 | 12:05 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Wait so the GT3 shifter has a shorter throw than the SSK?
Old 02-01-2019 | 01:01 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I fixed my error. SSK has the shortest throw.. For the factory shifters longest to shortest 996, 997, 997GT3 and 997SSK
Old 02-01-2019 | 04:28 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

I fixed my error. SSK has the shortest throw.. For the factory shifters longest to shortest 996, 997, 997GT3 and 997SSK
Ahh okay, thanks. Does the 997GT3 shifter have a shorter throw than a regular 997 shifter?
Old 02-01-2019 | 11:25 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

The ssk was a factory option on the 997tt, that’s what I would (and did) go with if I were you.

Quick Reply: Function First + Factory SSK or Numeric?