Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCB

Old 09-10-2018, 07:40 AM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts
Default PCCB

Anyone had experience with a PCCB conversion? I assume it has to be ugly expensive but though I have only had my 997.1 TT for a couple weeks, I am not terribly impressed with the standard brakes. I mean they are certainly not shabby by any means, but I'm not sure they are even as good as my old 2000 Cobra R model Mustang's standard Brembos. Any advice or thoughts would be welcome. Before I go PCCB I will certainly consider steel upgrades (i.e. Brembo.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:34 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

Your stock brakes are made by Brembo, and most people consider them to be excellent.

Before spending the money to upgrade to PCCB, you might consider new pads and fresh brake fluid. If that doesn’t do the trick, then you could explore different rotor options or performance brake pads.

PCCB conversion is certainly doable, but you’ll likely spend $15K+.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:52 AM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Did not know they were Brembo's...interesting, thanks for that info. I see on Suncoast parts the Porsche factory rotors are (front) only $600, whereas the Brembo upgrades are $1,850, so I guess the factory brembos aren't exactly state of the art. I've driven lots of fast cars and done some SCCA racing back in the day (not to mention AMA Expert License for road race, and have raced at Daytona). The brake lines are fine, they don't need bleeding and my pads feel fine, the car only has 23K miles and drives like it has never been seriously tracked if at all. Perhaps I am still just getting used to the car...I did a spirited drive to the dealer this morning and the brakes did feel pretty darn good....I've just always been critical of vehicles brakes beyond really anything else...I like to stop I guess...haha. Again thanks for the information, I am a complete P car NFG.

p.s. the dealer is looking my car over (inspection) but I did ask for a PCCB conversion estimate, just for grins. I'll let ya know what they tell me.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:38 PM
paulfdunn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
I see on Suncoast parts the Porsche factory rotors are (front) only $600, whereas the Brembo upgrades are $1,850, so I guess the factory brembos aren't exactly state of the art.
The Brembo's on Suncoast are a two piece rotor; it is a "hat" and rotor that bolt together. You are paying significantly more up front for a two piece system, but it allows you to replace just the rotor when they wear out. So if you track your car a lot, you save money over time with the two piece system.

It really is not the case of the Porsche OE (Brembo one piece) rotor being "low tech" and those Brembos being "high tech".

Also note that the PCCB rotors alone are $22.2K on Suncoast. My experience is that the price you get from Suncoast is less than what the dealer charges for parts. But I'll be curious to see i what they quote. When you get the quote, do please reply back and let us know what they said.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:49 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by paulfdunn
The Brembo's on Suncoast are a two piece rotor; it is a "hat" and rotor that bolt together. You are paying significantly more up front for a two piece system, but it allows you to replace just the rotor when they wear out. So if you track your car a lot, you save money over time with the two piece system.

It really is not the case of the Porsche OE (Brembo one piece) rotor being "low tech" and those Brembos being "high tech".

Also note that the PCCB rotors alone are $22.2K on Suncoast. My experience is that the price you get from Suncoast is less than what the dealer charges for parts. But I'll be curious to see i what they quote. When you get the quote, do please reply back and let us know what they said.
Again thanks for the P car info...I'm learning every day...and yes I will pass along the pccb conversion price the dealer quotes...I to am very curious.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:01 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Anyone had experience with a PCCB conversion? I assume it has to be ugly expensive but though I have only had my 997.1 TT for a couple weeks, I am not terribly impressed with the standard brakes. I mean they are certainly not shabby by any means, but I'm not sure they are even as good as my old 2000 Cobra R model Mustang's standard Brembos. Any advice or thoughts would be welcome. Before I go PCCB I will certainly consider steel upgrades (i.e. Brembo.
Quote from Porsche of Melbourne for PCCB install/conversion: $33K
Old 09-10-2018, 04:20 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

I bumped another recent thread on the conversion for you. There are after market options that will give a better outcome than OEM PCCB.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...0#post15193410
Old 09-10-2018, 04:39 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

No way 4 piston brembos from a 2000 R are as good as your Porsche big red (350mm) 6 pistons. (I had those on my 03 Cobra). Probably need a little brake maintenance.

I have PCCB's and they are top-notch, but really expensive. There are all sorts of upgrades available that would improve the brake performance before going to PCCBs.

But again, brake performance from the standard 6 piston red brakes should be exceptional.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:19 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Consider some ST ceramics instead. Less than half the price, better performance, and they're refurbishable instead of having to replace PCCBs. Here is a link to our product page
Old 09-10-2018, 09:08 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

Wow!
Old 09-18-2018, 05:28 AM
bettercallsalkin
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
I bumped another recent thread on the conversion for you. There are after market options that will give a better outcome than OEM PCCB.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...0#post15193410

This man is dead-on correct. Not worth the money. In many cases, steel brakes are better.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:15 AM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

The standard 997TT iron brakes are some of the best brakes to ever come standard on a car short of carbon ceramic. And even compared to PCCB, you have WAY more options with the iron setup than PCCB. Do some looking around and you'll see that MOST owners with PCCB who track their cars go the other way around - remove the PCCB's and swap to irons for the track. More options with rotors & pads, and exponentially less expensive to service.

Don't make assumptions that your brake consumables are OK just because your car only has 23k miles and hasn't seen the track, etc... When was the last time the brake fluid was flushed? Are the pads the original 10+ year old pads from the factory? Fresh fluid, new rotors and new OEM pads and you should be saying the 997TT has some of the best brakes of any car you've ever driven. Standard track setup for anything short of racing is OEM calipers, OEM rotors, high temp 600F fluid and track pads ie Pagid RSL29, Ferodo, or others. Once the cracks in the oem cross drilled rotors begin connecting holes, replace with slotted Sebro rotors or for some additional cost you can go with 2-piece Girodisc rotors - then you only have to replace the iron ring moving forward - the aluminum rotor hat is reusable.

Anyways, point is - standard iron 997TT brakes are some of the best in the business and are good to go for heavy track work with only basic upgrades (fluid & pads). If you're having an issue with the brakes not feeling up to the task, you likely need to refresh them regardless of miles or previous usage.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:02 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JG 996T
No way 4 piston brembos from a 2000 R are as good as your Porsche big red (350mm) 6 pistons. (I had those on my 03 Cobra). Probably need a little brake maintenance.

I have PCCB's and they are top-notch, but really expensive. There are all sorts of upgrades available that would improve the brake performance before going to PCCBs.

But again, brake performance from the standard 6 piston red brakes should be exceptional.
The more I have used them the better I think they are...still my 2000 Cobra R's brakes were so good it got me in a bad habit of not braking for lights/stops until so late it became a danger for me when I would drive other cars. Perhaps they are just different feeling/modulated, but the R's jumped out as Wow what tremendous brakes, I just didn't get that feeling in my 997.1. But as I said above I have started feeling they are better and better the more I drive her.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:45 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pagid makes pads to fit OEM PCCB for track use
Old 09-19-2018, 10:55 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Change the fluid and add the pagid yellows pads?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCCB