Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First timer considering a 2007 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 04:04 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

A Porsche purist is one that owns porsche, drives it, maintains it, becomes a PCA member and a rennlist member.

Everything else are passersby.

A manual porsche is not a requirement.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:59 PM
9ts
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm heard of the glue enhancement in the later 997.1s.To think Porsche uses or used a "glue" to hold hot coolant pipes together on their top of the line race bred cars is comical. I wonder if Mezger himself was aware of that.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:22 PM
Rob32Ford
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

As an automotive engineer for the last 33 years, this is one of those designs that really is shocking to me. I would not consider this design for a lousy lawn mower engine (if it was water cooled, of course). For some reason, Porsche seems to come up with "interesting" designs that fail and never really do much to fix them for their customers. RMS leaks, IMS bearings, noisy Mezger engines, etc - and these issues seem to drag on for years without any improvements. It just shows the benefits of having a strong brand image (yeah I bought one and love it!).
Old 08-09-2018, 09:15 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob32Ford
As an automotive engineer for the last 33 years, this is one of those designs that really is shocking to me. I would not consider this design for a lousy lawn mower engine (if it was water cooled, of course). For some reason, Porsche seems to come up with "interesting" designs that fail and never really do much to fix them for their customers. RMS leaks, IMS bearings, noisy Mezger engines, etc - and these issues seem to drag on for years without any improvements. It just shows the benefits of having a strong brand image (yeah I bought one and love it!).

Ahhh the sounds of the mezger! You learn to love it lol
Old 08-09-2018, 10:22 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by o7silverturbo
Ahhh the sounds of the mezger! You learn to love it lol
Haha! My 8 year old son calls my turbo the lawnmower based on how it sounds sometimes. Not the most exotic description but I get a laugh out of it.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:39 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Dguth
Haha! My 8 year old son calls my turbo the lawnmower based on how it sounds sometimes. Not the most exotic description but I get a laugh out of it.
I love the sound of mezgers. I own V8 exotics but a porsche mezger is a different kind of hotrod. I love every minute driving it.

I would say though, the difference on a Mezger TT and A1 TT, and I just observe it recently on my TTS.

A mezger sounds like a lawn mower and a A1 sounds like a vacuum cleaner. I love them both but I swear, I cant get that out of my mind.

Quick Reply: First timer considering a 2007 turbo