Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to pull the trigger on this beauty - newbie help request :-)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 01:54 AM
nifiction
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question About to pull the trigger on this beauty - newbie help request :-)

I am about to buy this beauty: https://www.stasales.com/vehicle-det...96e0a7d3a9374c

Boyhood dream coming true, hopefully. I was just wondering whether anyone has comments on the car. The carfax is clean, it comes from a small-time dealership that specializes in Porsche's and has pretty decent online reviews, but the mileage is on the high side (or not?!).

I am quite frankly not very knowledgeable with 911s, so anything you are willing to advise me on will be greatly appreciated. I have done my homework here and in general online but perhaps someone has comments like: definitely do it/ definitely don't do it )

Thanks so much!
Old 04-24-2018, 01:59 AM
nifiction
Track Day

Old 04-24-2018, 03:07 AM
loonwin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m new to the Porsche community as well, but I have been researching them quite extensively over the past month. From what I’ve gathered, coupes with 6-speed manual command the most money. Then cabs with m/t. Then the tiptronics. That’s not to say anything bad about them (they’re all amazing cars) but fact is, they don’t sell for as much as the manuals.

So with all that said, I personally think that car is priced a bit high for the mileage that it has on it. Again, this is from looking at hundreds of listings. For the low $60k range, I’ve seen many examples with around 50-60k miles.

Not trying to crush your dreams. Just saying that you can probably hold out and find a better one out there for the price.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:44 AM
Emmasdream
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Car is overpriced - you could do better in either mileage, cost or specs.

Assuming that you've studied the market and the 997 turbo model history; then this car makes sense if the following is true.

You want:
a) a Cabrio because you're in SoCal and of course you're going to have a convertible
b) a 2009 model year because you strongly desire the race heritage of the Mezger AND want the updated PCM3.0
c) automatic because you do not want/know how to drive manual
d) no desire to resell this thing ever
If that's all true, i'm guessing you could get it for 55k. It's been on the market for 6 months. And is way to high.

That said, if any of the above isn't true, then you should look for a different car. Specific to the above items:
a) dude, convertible turbo is awesome. if you're in sunny weather, you damn right should have open air. heck with the haters
b) If you dont care about PCM 3.0, you can look at 2007 or 2008 models and save some money. Or if you dont care about the Mezger, go up a year and try to find a 2010-11.
c) if you really want auto and dont care about mileage, get a PDK model with 2010+. It's all around better.
d) if you have this for 2 years and put another 10k miles on it, you'll have a Tiptonic, convertible with 95k miles on it. That will be very difficult to sell anywhere near 65k.

Last edited by Emmasdream; 04-24-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:56 AM
quattrodoc
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Emmasdream

Assuming that you've studied the market, the model history this car makes sense if the following is true. You want:
a) a Cabrio because you're in SoCal and of course you're going to have a convertible
b) a 2009 model year because you strongly desire the race heritage of the Mezger AND want the updated PCM3.0
If that's all true, i'm guessing you could get it for 55k. It's been on the market for 6 months. And is way to high.

That said, if any of the above isn't true, then you should look for a different car. Specific to the above items:
a) dude, convertible turbo is awesome. if you're in sunny weather, you damn right should have open air. heck with the haters
b) If you dont care about PCM 3.0, you can look at 2007 or 2008 models and save some money. Or if you dont care about the Mezger, go up a year and try to find a 2010-11.
c) if you really want auto and dont care about mileage, get a PDK model with 2010+. It's all around better.
d) if you have this for 2 years and put another 10k miles on it, you'll have a Tiptonic, convertible with 95k miles on it. That will be very difficult to sell anywhere near 65k.

Perfectly said above.....
Old 04-24-2018, 10:04 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

High miles, careful ppi, I’d take the warranty they offer.
Would be a good deal at 55ish. It’s true, once you go over 100k mi resale is tough, you’d better love that car or else find a better one. I’m sure you could track down a 997.2tt cab for low 60s with way less mi and a pdk.
But, if that’s “the one”, offer 53 including powertrain warranty assuming nothing major on ppi, if they refuse walk.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:35 AM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I'll give some perspective I purchased a 2009 Turbo Tiptronics last November with 67000 miles for under 60K out the door added a 3 year 36 platinum drivetrain warranty for about 5K the mileage will get you when purchasing the warranty. The car was on a BMW lot for about 4 month and came down fro their starting price of 64000 to about 56000 I watched on Cars.com for those 4 months and watch the price drop down,took me about a month of negotiating saying no to a lot of offer by them telling me others are looking at the car. that being said it is priced a little to high but with it being on a specialty lot they might sit on it for a while as volume is not their business plan.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:16 AM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

It says "sale pending," are you going for it, OP?
Old 04-24-2018, 03:52 PM
nifiction
Track Day

Originally Posted by Emmasdream

Assuming that you've studied the market, the model history this car makes sense if the following is true. You want:

Nice, thanks man, appreciate it a lot!
a) Yes
b) Opportunity rather than caring about PCM or Mezger - I also just read that 997.2 is less maintenance/ the allround better engine?!
c) I would have loved it as a manual (German myself, I don't know how to drive automatic). The only reason for automatic is that LA has a looot of traffic and it would be my daily.
d) euhm... I kinda do.

--> I'm actually getting it for 51.9k
a) 100%
b) For 2010/11, I did not find anything in the low 50s
c) Hmm... anything you have seen that you could recommend? I can pay 60k too, but prefer not to ;-)
d) Will I be able to sell it at 48-50-ish?
Old 04-24-2018, 03:55 PM
nifiction
Track Day

I am going to have it inspected before buying, but they told me it's reserved for me now. Have not put down a deposit though ;-)
Old 04-24-2018, 03:58 PM
nifiction
Track Day

Originally Posted by Skwerl
It says "sale pending," are you going for it, OP?
yups, I did not yet put a deposit down but will get a PPI done this week.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:59 PM
nifiction
Track Day

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
High miles, careful ppi, I’d take the warranty they offer.
Would be a good deal at 55ish. It’s true, once you go over 100k mi resale is tough, you’d better love that car or else find a better one. I’m sure you could track down a 997.2tt cab for low 60s with way less mi and a pdk.
But, if that’s “the one”, offer 53 including powertrain warranty assuming nothing major on ppi, if they refuse walk.
I'm getting it for 51.9k - that is considered a good offer I guess? They don't do the warranty on this guy for some reason... should I absolutely insist?
Old 04-24-2018, 04:03 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

My warranty just paid for itself and more. I would not own a high mileage TT without one!
Old 04-24-2018, 04:38 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by nifiction
I'm getting it for 51.9k - that is considered a good offer I guess? They don't do the warranty on this guy for some reason... should I absolutely insist?
Wow, they came down $12k? Nicely done.

Getting an aftermarket warranty on a Turbo with that many miles will probably cost more than what you're likely to spend on it unless it was never serviced or maintained.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:48 PM
USNA12
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Enjoy the car. I bought my 09 Manual coupe 6mt for a fair price, and I could easily sell it for more than I got it for with the way prices are heading.

That being said, I plan on keeping this thing and driving it as often as possible. I love it!

Let me know if you need an exhaust, I have one laying around I need to get rid of

Quick Reply: About to pull the trigger on this beauty - newbie help request :-)