Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it necessary to replace brake pads when replacing rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 01:03 PM
DadeCity997
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it necessary to replace brake pads when replacing rotors?

I am replacing the rear rotors on my 997.1 TT. The pads still look good. Should pads and rotors be changed at the same time? I know there is a bedding process also so wondering if that will make a difference using old vs new pads.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:16 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Seems strange that you would need to replace the rotors and not the pads.. how many miles on the car?

Why do you think you need to replace the rotors?

When I inspected my rear brakes last year, I just replaced the pads, the rotors were still fine.. this was at 45K miles and most likely the original set of pads..

If it were me and I NEEDED to replace the rotors because they were grooved, under min thickness, etc. I would do the pads as well.. but thats just me..
Old 12-22-2017, 01:30 PM
DadeCity997
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your input. Car is going on 46K miles and the wear indicators, groove marks, a hair-line crack, and lip is enough to tell me I need to replace the rotors.
The previous owner seemed to have done a complete change up front but may have only changed out the pads in the back from what I can see.
I was just wondering if you or anyone else has had any negative experience by only changing out the rotors and not the pads.
BTW - if you're a Cowboys fan, GO COWBOYS. If you're not, GO COWBOYS !
Old 12-22-2017, 02:12 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

nope, just swap rotors.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:29 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by DadeCity997
I am replacing the rear rotors on my 997.1 TT. The pads still look good. Should pads and rotors be changed at the same time? I know there is a bedding process also so wondering if that will make a difference using old vs new pads.
Necessary? No. Good practice? Absolutely... Particularly if any of the 'grooving' you are seeing is in the area of the old rotors swept by the pad.

OEM rear textar pad's are pretty cheap, less than $100 on Pelican. I'd suggest you do the job correctly and completely for such a minor cost difference.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:25 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I would change them, the grooves on the rotor could be on the pad also, which can lead to new grooves on a brand new rotors.

Good practice on any German car is to always replace pads and rotors together
Old 12-26-2017, 12:43 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by DadeCity997
The problem with new rotors and old pads is the pad faces are probably not worn flat and won't make full contact with the rotor surfaces. A bedding in probably won't have the pads making full contact. Breaking effectiveness will be reduced and the uneven contact could cause localized overheating under hard braking that could cause the rotors grief. This can also cause uneven wear and accelerated wear of the rotors.

Pads not that expensive. If it were my car I'd just replace the pads.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:13 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

While you can get away with it, as others have already said, replacing is the best practice.

Since you will already have the calipers off, it will be a natural thing to replace the pads and for the cost, it really is a no brainer.

Ed
Old 12-26-2017, 10:49 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't put used pads on a new rotor.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:12 PM
Flewis763
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well being a race car guy, we do this all the time because you wear pads and rotors out muh more often. Running new slotted rotors, if you have odd pad wear, it will flatten a pad out very quickly.

being the from sound of it, you have a street car, if it's under 50% wear of the pads I'd replace them but if over that, I wouldn't worry. Just make sure to bed the pads in

Quick Reply: Is it necessary to replace brake pads when replacing rotors?