Sponsored by:

Intermitent loss of boost

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 09:25 PM
Dan997t
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermitent loss of boost

I just picked up the car from the shop where they they installed a new head unit and a K40. Battery disconnected. Question: I assume the custom 600HP Switzer tune would stick thru loss of power? When I left the car seemed sluggish. I got it out on the open road and it was definitely off. It was pulling maybe 7-10# boost and not making HP, then BOOM it felt like the other turbo kicked on and it would put you back in the seat, as usual. This 'full boost' only lasted 2-3 seconds before it was back to sluggish and 10# max boost. It felt to me like only 1 turbo was working and the other was on and off. I was able to repeat this behavior once more on the way home. I've been reading posts that suggest the turbo hoses might be loose or popped off? Where would I look first to see if it's the hoses? Is that the top or under the car? And other ideas?

Thanks! Dan
Old 12-26-2017, 05:45 PM
therock88
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan997t
I just picked up the car from the shop where they they installed a new head unit and a K40. Battery disconnected. Question: I assume the custom 600HP Switzer tune would stick thru loss of power? When I left the car seemed sluggish. I got it out on the open road and it was definitely off. It was pulling maybe 7-10# boost and not making HP, then BOOM it felt like the other turbo kicked on and it would put you back in the seat, as usual. This 'full boost' only lasted 2-3 seconds before it was back to sluggish and 10# max boost. It felt to me like only 1 turbo was working and the other was on and off. I was able to repeat this behavior once more on the way home. I've been reading posts that suggest the turbo hoses might be loose or popped off? Where would I look first to see if it's the hoses? Is that the top or under the car? And other ideas?

Thanks! Dan
If the hoses were loose/or off, you would never get the instant boost you described. Not sure what they may have done when installing the K40 in the rear section. Possible one of the actuator rods is stuck, or came loose? Recirc valave hose off/loose?
Those are the places to start anyway.

Good luck,
DC
Old 12-27-2017, 10:24 AM
Dan997t
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you DC!

Quick Reply: Intermitent loss of boost