Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 CS 6 speed or 997 TT tip

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017 | 05:09 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Default 997 CS 6 speed or 997 TT tip

If you had your choice for a every so often weekend car would you prefer a 997 Carrera S with a six speed or a 997 TT with tip? The TT's with six speed seem to be harder to find at this time. The car would not be a DD or bad weather driver. Would probably be parked inside and cranked every few days or so when not driven.
I'm aware of the power difference but know the 3.8L in the CS seems to have decent power for a 997. After the headaches of owning a 996, I wont be going down that road again. Any opinions?

I posted the same request in the 997 forum because I wasn't sure which would be best.
Old 11-21-2017 | 07:26 PM
ble2011
Drifting

I think this may be a personal choice. I bought a 997tt tip. I like the auto, but there are a lot here that do not. I had a 6 speed in my 993 and I liked it, but it didn’t make me say I had to have one with my next purchase.
Old 11-21-2017 | 09:45 PM
theplings
Racer

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Would probably be parked inside and cranked every few days or so when not driven.
My understanding is starting it just to start it and idle it does more harm than good. If you aren't going to drive it and get it up to temp, don't start it.

If it were me I'd go with a manual CS - I can't stand automatics. Personal preference though.
Old 11-21-2017 | 10:38 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

'The' CrazyK? Of the 'I can source my own IMS bearing' fame? Of the 'take apart my car to clean it' fame?

But on to your question...
I'm not a big fan of Tiptronics, but in a heartbeat I'd take a 997 turbo over a Carrera S, even if it meant living with a tiptronic.

I would do a paddle shift conversion and some retuning of the Tip / Turbo though.

But I'd also take a 996 Turbo six speed over a 997 Turbo Tiptronic, another option to consider.
Old 11-22-2017 | 10:37 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

If you had your choice for a every so often weekend car
Will those trips be longer than your driveway? Still scared to drive 50 miles?

Have you decided which critical part you know more about than the original engineers and every other person with real mechanical engineering experience? Found an el-cheapo replacement for said part? Going to ignore your replacement's manufacturer's warnings about it being the wrong application? Found an unsuspecting mark to pawn the car off on after you cobble together a replacement of your design? Going to be honest with the new owner this time?

Or are you just going to stick to sh!tting on the enjoyment other people get from their cars due to the self inflicted woes you experience?

Welcome back KK. No one missed you.

Gotta give you credit though. You have some Texas sized ***** to show up on RL again...
Old 11-22-2017 | 10:50 AM
Britzky9
Racer

If you had your choice for a every so often weekend car would you prefer a 997 Carrera S with a six speed or a 997 TT with tip? Any opinions?
Yeah, no.

Last edited by Britzky9; 11-22-2017 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Just read the IMS thread...yeah, no.
Old 11-22-2017 | 10:56 AM
Britzky9
Racer

Default Ummm...

Should I have taken the OP seriously? Why do I feel like I just wasted 3 minutes of thought?
Old 11-22-2017 | 11:11 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Britzky9
Should I have taken the OP seriously? Why do I feel like I just wasted 3 minutes of thought?
Maybe the leopard will change his spots, but he has a long history of trolling the 996 forum and believing he knew everything there was to know about the m96. His favorite refrain (in spite of plenty of perfectly working and happy cars) is that the 996 is trash that will blow up on you any minute.

To be fair, he did seem to have endless issues with his. We, however, suspect that was because he kept constantly taking the poor thing apart and changing out perfectly good parts. In the short time he owned his 996 I think he "rebuilt" the engine 2 or 3 times, but he barely put any miles on the car.

The biggest feather in his cap, however, is that in all his great wisdom he cobbled together his own IMSB replacement using a bearing that the manufacturer explicitly said was not right for the application. Then he sold the car on to someone with a note that the bearing had been replaced, but not making it clear that it was not one of the common replacement options. Unsurprisingly the engine then died in the new owner's hands after a short period of time. KK crowed about it with a "see! I told you so!" post, but the RL brain trust pretty quickly put two and two together and figured out what really happened. The new owner eventually joined and confirmed that A) it was sold as having a replacement bearing and B) no mention was made that it was a bearing of KK's own "design".

KK then went very quiet and started altering some of his older posts in an effort to obfuscate what he had done. We haven't heard from him here on RL for quite some time.

For reference:
https://rennlist.com/forums/the-abys...ine-story.html
​​​​​​​https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ong-story.html
Old 11-22-2017 | 02:01 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Gnat, why try and ruin a thread? So you were present for details/negotiations of a sale? You saw ALL maintenance records/receipts given on sale? You blame a repair done 3 years prior to an alleged failure yet new replacement engine has 1 year warranty? Give me a break. I've seen lie after lie after lie posted on another thread and didn't even bother to post a response. Never let the facts get in the way of a good story, right? I'm not going to rehash anything here.
Anyway, just asking for opinions on the two cars, forgot about the trans change to PDK so maybe a moot issue.

My understanding is starting it just to start it and idle it does more harm than good. If you aren't going to drive it and get it up to temp, don't start it.
That's all well and good but sometimes in our area you may have bad weather for several days to a week at a time.
Old 11-22-2017 | 03:35 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Gnat, why try and ruin a thread?
Depends on your definition of ruin. My goal is to make sure that your new potential friends know who and what they are dealing with it.

So you were present for details/negotiations of a sale?
I know (from your own posts) that you did the IMSB replacement yourself. I also know from your own posts that you cobbled together your own solution. It is also in your DIY thread that the manufacturer of the bearing you used explicitly told the only other person to use that bearing that it was not appropriate for the application. That person also told you in that thread that his bearing was already failing with a very small number of miles. I also know that you advertised the car as having it's IMSB replaced, but neglected to make it clear that it was not one of the respected and proven replacements. I also know that you included the receipts for the Pelican bearing which you only used parts from (and not the bearing itself). Finally I know that the buyer (who didn't say anything until you felt the need to crow about how crappy even your old 996 was) claims you never made it clear that it was not in fact the Pelican replacement in the car.

You blame a repair done
No. I blame an egotistical fool that not honest about the car's history & parts.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story, right?
That's definitely your MO given the way you came back to the 996 board to crow about how his motor blew up even after all your "meticulous" care. Once the facts started coming out, however, you disappeared for about a year and a half.

Or lets talk about all your "facts" that led to your belief of needing to constantly tear your car down and rebuild it for no real reason other than your paranoia and misunderstanding about actual facts.
Old 11-22-2017 | 04:54 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Originally Posted by pfbz
'The' CrazyK? Of the 'I can source my own IMS bearing' fame? Of the 'take apart my car to clean it' fame?

But on to your question...
I'm not a big fan of Tiptronics, but in a heartbeat I'd take a 997 turbo over a Carrera S, even if it meant living with a tiptronic.

I would do a paddle shift conversion and some retuning of the Tip / Turbo though.

But I'd also take a 996 Turbo six speed over a 997 Turbo Tiptronic, another option to consider.
Just spent 30 minutes reading through those threads. Subscribing for all the entertainment this thread will surely generate.
Old 11-22-2017 | 06:04 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

I also know that you included the receipts for the Pelican bearing which you only used parts from
So you were there right? You knew the terms right? You saw the receipts right? You have know idea what your talking about because you were not.

died in the new owner's hands after a short period of time
A year and seven months later? Three years after IMSB? Two years longer than new engine warranty?

Only facts matter in real life and in this case, you had none of them. Just enough already. Stop with the derailing of this thread. If you have some great revelation about peoples personal business, then PM me, call me, meet me or whatever. Otherwise its just pointless to post about a done matter unless you were involved and you certainly were not.

When I started reading this forum again I saw several blown M96 threads, some of which blew up on the drive home from purchase. Didn't see the dog pack screaming for blood and litigation. Strange huh? Nothings changed in the 996 forum, same haters and all. Move on, please.

Can we keep the thread about the comparisons of the two models?
Old 11-22-2017 | 07:40 PM
993MAN
Drifting

I have never owned a 997 non Turbo, so can't comment.
But this is my 9th 911 and I have never, and will never own an auto/PDK. For me it's a sports car and I like changing gears.
Plus, when you hit the gas NOTHING compares to a Turbo
I don't care about the previous threads and I'm not reading them.

Just buy the TT. But wait for a manual.
Old 11-22-2017 | 09:41 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Only facts matter in real life and in this case, you had none of them. Just enough already.
Then by all means, educate me on what facts I have wrong. I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong.

1) Did you not post a thread about DIYing your IMSB replacement?
2) In that thread, did you not talk about finding a low cost alternative?
3) In that thread, did you not post that you bought the Pelican kit?
4) In that thread, did you not also talk about purchasing a low cost alternative bearing that appeared to match the factory specs as you understood them?
5) In that thread, did you not state that you used that low cost bearing instead of the one that came with the Pelican kit?
6) In that thread, did another member that also tried that bearing not tell you that they found theirs to be failing after a small number of miles?
7) In that thread, did that member pass on comments from the bearing manufacturer where they stated that this was not an appropriate application?
8) In your for sale thread, did you not state that the IMSB had been replaced?
9) In your for sale, did you ever state that it was an assembly of your own design rather than one of the complete kits that normal people would expect when reading "IMSB replaced"?
10) Did you or did you not make numerous posts about your "preventative maintenance" views that amounted to constantly changing parts that showed no signs nor symptoms of issue?
11) Did you or did you not comment multiple times about how you have rebuilt your engine multiple times?
12) How many miles did you put on the car before the first rebuild? Between subsequent rebuilds? After the last rebuild and before the sale?
13) Did you not start a thread where you ultimately decided you were too scared to drive the car 500 miles?

Now these are definitely second hand knowledge, but I have yet to see anything from you refuting them with facts:
1) In any conversation with the buyer, did you ever tell him that you installed your own franken-bearing rather than an expected replacement? (he says no)
2) Did you include any documentation prior to the sale of the car that clearly indicated that you cut corners on the IMSB? (he says no)
3) In the transaction, did you include a receipt for the Pelican kit? (he says yes)
4) In the transaction, did you include a receipt for the cheap bearing that you actually used? (he says no)

Not going past the end of your driveway is certainly hyperbole, but I'm not convinced that it's that far off...

So please, what facts do I have wrong? What things that you posted did you not really post?

For the record I have no (and never had) a problem that you tried your own thing for the bearing. More power to you. I have a problem that you didn't represent it to the person you sold the car to. Additionally while I opined on the viability of the buyer suing you for misrepresentation/fraud, I never advocated him doing so. In fact I said a few times in that thread that I didn't think any such suit was worth the effort/cost.

Can we keep the thread about the comparisons of the two models?
By all means. I've called you out for what you are so others can avoid being taken in by you. If you'd like to take this to the afore-linked thread dedicated to what happened to the car, then by all means please quote this post there and refute what you disagree with.

Kicking your feet in the air and wailing "you don't know the facts" is not, however, a valid rebuttal. So please come up with something new.
Old 11-22-2017 | 11:18 PM
Water Hound
Racer

Have to admit that I'm getting much pleasure in the sweet irony that Krazy K might inadvertently buy a 2005 Carrera S thinking the IMS gods would be smiling upon him.

Why you ask? Just watch the PCA Spotlight video explaining the IMS and scroll to somewhere around 14:30. So rich!

Quick Reply: 997 CS 6 speed or 997 TT tip