Sponsored by:

997 TT vs. GT4 Any Insight

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 05:15 PM
07 Turbo
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 997 TT vs. GT4 Any Insight

Thinking about purchasing a GT 4 but would need to sell my turbo.

I have a 997.1 TT, it's the best car I have ever owned. The car has 10,200 miles, MilTech exhaust with a custom tune from UMW's, full Expel wrap, new tires and sensors with blue tooth and a paddle shift systems. With the tune the car is wicked fast.

I found a red GT 4, ceramic brakes, bucket seats, red stitching on black interior with 2500 miles, 2 owners: asking $104K and yes from a dealer.

Don't know much about the pricing on the GT 4, my TT I believe around 70 to 75K to the right buyer.

All you Porsche nuts out there; any insight on how I should approach this be means of making a sound decision. Just asking so please play nicely!
Old 10-29-2017, 05:25 PM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Totally different cars...the gt4 will feel slow to you. But it’s a go kart as far as handling compared to the turbo.
Have you driven the gt4?
Old 10-29-2017, 06:37 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 358 Posts

^ +1

I just picked up a 981CS this week.. Not quite a GT4, but the Cayman is fun in a completely different way than the turbo.. I was a bit hesitant about the PDK but after driving it in sport plus and hearing the engine/exhasut wail at 7800RPM- quite awesome..

Sure, it's not as fast as the turbo. That's why I have both now
However, if I could only have one - turbo it is..
Old 10-29-2017, 06:48 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

I own a 997TT and a 981 Spyder (nearly GT4 by spec). I've also logged hours of track time on two occasions in a GT4 at the PSDS near Birmingham, AL. Very different cars, both great in their own respects. The TT is more raw power and easily tuned to add more -- with your tune, I'm sure it's just an absolute bull. The GT4 doesn't have that break-neck sensation of power (which is part HP and part turbo lag). But the GT4 feels more balanced - so balanced, it's power can be underestimated. I found it to be my second favorite on the track (behind the GT3RS), and if I had time to track cars, I'd scoop one up for that very purpose. The 981 gen has more modern internal hardware, which you'll probably like, and the stock clutch feels much better than the limp clutch of the 997 gen cars. For road driving, I think you'll be quite pleased with the GT4; I enjoy my Spyder immensely. You might see some pricing improvement this winter, but if you're patient, you'll probably see prices sag once the 718 GT4 comes out (next year?) and perhaps 992 gen 911 comes out (expected announcement next month).
Old 10-30-2017, 09:56 AM
triplenet
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My good friend has a GT4... I did a 2k mile road trip in it last year....

Great car - impressive track performance ... Gearing is a bit tall for me and obviously HP is lacking .... but otherwise a great car ...

both cars at Sebring last

Old 10-30-2017, 10:36 AM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not sure if this counts but I drove both at the Porsche Experience Center Simulator. Lol, I know I know, this isn't a real comparison but the GT4 was MUCH better on the track at least in the simulator. I wish I could have driven it on the test track. As a side note, if I was looking for a track only car, I think the GT4 would be my pick over a tt. I had my 997.1 tt at mid-ohio this year and I was nowhere close to the limits of what the car could do. I think the GT4 would be a better track car for me, at least with my novice level of track experience.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:08 AM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 264 Likes on 117 Posts

I currently own a 997.2 Turbo and a GT4. Have done long trips in both. Gt4 handles better, hp is fine with the lower gear ratio. Love it in our local mountains. Turbo, well let's just say it's the car I'm driving to Rennsport next year from Colorado. A cruiser with kickass passing abilities. Hope you'll keep both.
When buying, look at the MSRP of the GT4 then add $5-7K and that's what they're going for with a CPO warranty. The MSRP's on these cars was from about $85K to $130K. Know what you're buying.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:23 AM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

I have a 2011 TTS and a GT4, so I'll offer my thoughts.

Two completely different experiences. If I'm driving twisty stuff, I much prefer the GT4. More engaging, and more a feeling of going fast, while not going as fast.

Move to the TTS and you have to actually be going so much faster to have the same feeling of "pushing the envelope" as the car is so capable of going fast so quickly. In a straight line I love it, the rush of acceleration. But in the twisty stuff, much more feeling of weight (partly all-wheel drive). You can carry so much more speed into a corner in the GT4. The TTS is more of a brake before the turn, set the front end, and rocket out of the corner. Never gets old.

If I could only have one car...pretty sure it would be the GT4 for the driving fun. BUT, I would miss the Turbo from time to time.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:13 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

If you go and drive a GT4 you will make the swap

Quick Reply: 997 TT vs. GT4 Any Insight