Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What four post lift should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 12:14 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've attached several pictures of my lift and cars. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of cars stored below the lift; however, I can easily store my other Porsches and my wife's midsize SUV below the lift. But, my Mercedes ML SUV is about 2 inches too tall to slip under the lift.
Attached Images     
Old 10-11-2017, 12:46 AM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I would say for a long term storage on a 2 post, you can remove the wheels to minimize the weight on the suspension
Old 10-11-2017, 07:14 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Stay far away from bendpak....they are junk.

I use lifts every day in my shop and I would never trust a car on one let alone stand under one and work.

A local shop by me had the same lift fail TWICE. Once a car went boom to the floor and another it just broke a cable and was leaning like in the above picture. Good thing no one got hurt. After the shop owner removed that lift.

Just stick with rotary lifts, going to cost a little bit more but they are proven.

Make sure to ALWAYS lower cars to the locks. Less stress on hydraulic system and the lock are not meant to catch the car if something was to break
Old 10-14-2017, 01:53 AM
Artwerks
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by o7silverturbo
Stay far away from bendpak....they are junk.
Make sure to ALWAYS lower cars to the locks. Less stress on hydraulic system and the lock are not meant to catch the car if something was to break
Well, this advice comes a bit too late. A few weeks ago I decided not to judge a whole company based on a single bad review. I purchased a Bendpak. I just hope I don't experience the same issues the two of you have.
And thanks for the advice. I will make sure to always rest the lift on the locks.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:24 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Artwerks
I'm in the market for a four post lift to both store service my cars. I know what I need in terms of weight capacity and size, but other than that I have no idea what the hell I'm doing I'd appreciate some advice from those of you that have lifts.
I'm currently looking at the Bendpak HD-9ST or 9STX. These meet my needs for both size and capacity. I have little to no height restrictions, but I have limitations for length and width.
What do you use and why?

TIA

Nice E39 M5! I've been stalking Autotrader for those. Such good value now.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:02 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

OP - Any updates on the Bendpak? Which did you get? Pics? Issues
Old 07-23-2018, 05:54 PM
TTG
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

I am in the market for a 4 post as well. I am looking to have someone come and install the thing.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:41 PM
Artwerks
Instructor

Originally Posted by SToronto
OP - Any updates on the Bendpak? Which did you get? Pics? Issues
I did get a Bendpak. I got the narrow, long, extra tall, 9,000lb lift. I love it! I did have a brief issue with some of the hydraulic fluid leaking. I called the installers and they came out within a few days and tightened a few of the fittings and I haven't had an issue since. You also have multiple color options. I got the gray which looks great in my garage.
If you take a look at some of the earlier posts, it appears that Car Crazy had some issues with his lift, but I can't ever imagine any of these issues. My Turbo is lowered on H&R springs and I don't bottom out going up the ramps, but it's worth noting that I have a slight incline to my driveway leading up to the ramps, so that might help in my case. I can also fit my Land Cruiser under the lift when it's all the way up and that thing is quite large. I've been very happy with it.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:51 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Artwerks
I did get a Bendpak. I got the narrow, long, extra tall, 9,000lb lift. I love it! I did have a brief issue with some of the hydraulic fluid leaking. I called the installers and they came out within a few days and tightened a few of the fittings and I haven't had an issue since. You also have multiple color options. I got the gray which looks great in my garage.
If you take a look at some of the earlier posts, it appears that Car Crazy had some issues with his lift, but I can't ever imagine any of these issues. My Turbo is lowered on H&R springs and I don't bottom out going up the ramps, but it's worth noting that I have a slight incline to my driveway leading up to the ramps, so that might help in my case. I can also fit my Land Cruiser under the lift when it's all the way up and that thing is quite large. I've been very happy with it.

Looks fantastic!

Few questions if you don't mind.

So you got the HD-9ST? I just want to make sure as that's what I'm comparing with the HD-9. HD-9 would give flexibility but HD-9ST would allow to maximize my garage space.
Does your 997 Turbo tires fit the rails exactly or is there overhang?
ny issues with getting the cars on the rails in terms of width between posts? I've read about people struggling to get wide cars on the rails, do mirrors need to be folded? I'm like to put a 997.2 C4S, GT4 and GT350. The GT350 almost maximizes the track width of the HD-9ST.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:14 PM
waizone
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

What are you guys doing to modify the garage rails so they clear the lift?
Old 07-24-2018, 01:58 PM
Artwerks
Instructor

Originally Posted by waizone
What are you guys doing to modify the garage rails so they clear the lift?
You can see my garage rails in the first picture I just posted, but they are hard to see if you don't know they're there, because I painted them white to match the walls/ceiling. The rails run along the vaulted ceiling and I have a direct-drive motor that mounts to the wall and turns the spring rod. The motor is a LiftMaster LM-888.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:11 PM
Artwerks
Instructor

Few questions if you don't mind.

So you got the HD-9ST?
I have the HD-9STX

Does your 997 Turbo tires fit the rails exactly or is there overhang?
Neither. I still have about an inch on either side if I'm perfectly centered on the lift, which is rare. I have standard 305s in the rear, but I also use a 15mm spacer on each side. I have to say, though... you have to be careful about pulling onto the lift, because you can scrape your rims on the locking mechanism if you don't have a tire that protects the rims well. An inch on either side does not leave much room for error.

ny issues with getting the cars on the rails in terms of width between posts? I've read about people struggling to get wide cars on the rails, do mirrors need to be folded? I'm like to put a 997.2 C4S, GT4 and GT350. The GT350 almost maximizes the track width of the HD-9ST.
I do not have to fold the mirrors on any of my vehicles, but I do so with my truck, because it give me a little more room for error. I have to say, you have to be careful about pulling onto the lift, because you can scrape your rims on the locking mechanism if you don't have a tire that protects the rims well. An inch on either side does not leave much room for error. I don't have much rim protection from my tires on my CM wheels and I have scraped the wheels. I plan to get wider tires in the future, but for now, I'm just really careful about how I pull onto the lift -- as my door passes the first post I open my door and make sure I'm close to the locking mechanism with my rear wheel, but not hitting it. In this case I know I'm clearing the other side locking mechanism too. With my truck, I don't care, because the tires are so big they just roll over the locking mechanism. My M5 has good rim protection from the tires. I really don't find this to be a big deal and you shouldn't either now that you are aware.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:54 PM
911.Forever
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

John has posted a superb summary. In addition, for me, I wanted to buy it local and I wanted it that day, so I simply went to Craigslist and ordered locally from the Phoenix area. I had to hire a flat deck tow truck to pick it up and drop it off, but the cost was minimal and this was in effect, my freight expense. The lift retailed at $1800 and it looks a lot like (or exactly line) several posted here. Quality is superb. Like others, I built the second garage to accommodate lifts.
It was mentioned here that its a task to assemble, and this is true. The racks are very heavy and at a minimum, this is a two person job IF you're in shape. I found the lift entertaining to assemble as well.

Quick Reply: What four post lift should I get?